Making progress, a ways to go!

Old March 11th 06, 05:48 PM

gary jacobson wrote:
There must be a place I can take some lessons.

Joseph

Contact the Horten Ski Klub up the road (fjord) from you.. Just about any
skier in Norway could probably help you.

I found that even Norwegian folks that don't have any interest in racing had
amazing chops, although they may not be able to teach. (I especially am
amazed at their fence scaling abilities.)

There are plenty of people to ask, but I get conflicting information.
And as I am more in need of fine tuning as opposed to basic
instruction, it is something that requires a bit of time for the
person, and I don't feel like imposing upon other folks who are just
out to ski themselves.

But I'm quite certain that someone in Horten could help you. The club moved
along Anders and Jorgen Aukland pretty good I'd say.

This summer I was out on a bike ride, and I saw a guy on roller skis
skating ahead of me. After a few kilometers I thought is was strange
that I hadn't caught him. So I poured on the coals and eventually
caught up. This was just as we approched a somewhat congested area with
a tricky bike path with lots of driveway crossings, gravel, manhole
covers etc. It was rolling terrain. For 3km that I was beind the guy he
did not once go under 30km/h. It was sick. The speed and the skill in
zooming back and forth around obstacles and rough surfaces was
incredible. But the speed really blew my mind, like I'd seen someone
walking on the wall or some other impossible feat. He eventually had to
stop at a red light, and I got a look at who it was. Anders Aukland.

Joseph

Old March 11th 06, 05:51 PM

Alex wrote:
wrote:
snip

Offset dance makes sense. That's the uphill waddle. V1 is when you do
one double-pole for each time you push with both legs. In other words,
the DP lasts as long as it takes to push first with one leg, then the
other. While V2 is one DP for each leg push, in other words DP'ing
twice as often as with V1. Is that correct? I gotta get on the same
page! This is all complicated by the fact that I am indeed in Norway,
and I have no idea what these things are called in Norwegain!

In Norwegian, what you describe as "V2" is called "Dobbeldans".
"Enkeldans" ("Single dance") is one double pole per two leg pushes.
The variant of Enkeldans used uphills is called "Padling".
"Frisk=F8yting" is skating without pole pushes. I tend to use these
terms as I find it much easier to remember which is which. I just find
that "V1, V 2 or V3" confuse me.

I too like the descriptive names. Much less confusing.

As for timing, the whole issue seems to be just not losing momentum so
you don't have to waste energy accelerating with each stride, right?

Yes - correct timing of the arm and leg pushes really helps this.

I know you have only found people who teach kids to ski, but really
think you need to look around more for a local lesson on this stuff.

Probably a wise thing to do, before I teach myself all sorts of bad
habits. I am welcome to join the kids group, but it is rather
disruptive. The kids (9-12 years) are better than I am, but have no
stamina and are slower so the rhythm of the group is hard to maintain.
And it is a kids group, so I would end up sacrificing my learning so as
not to ruin it for the kids.

There must be a place I can take some lessons.

Trying to find someone in Norway to teach an adult learner is a bit
like finding someone in Britain who can teach adults to walk or run.
Whereabouts in Norway are you? There are British groups with adult
learners at varying ability levels, who arrange instruction in Norway.
I might be able to put you in touch with someone.

I'm in a place called Tj=F8me. 130km south of Oslo on the western coast
of Olsofjord. There are places in Olso I've found, but it's a 2 hour
drive.

Joseph

Old March 15th 06, 10:56 PM

snip
I'm in a place called Tj=F8me. 130km south of Oslo on the western coast
of Olsofjord. There are places in Olso I've found, but it's a 2 hour
drive.

Sorry, I have no contacts nearer to you than Oslo. I will email a
couple of links in case you are thinking of taking a holiday later.

snip
Probably a wise thing to do, before I teach myself all sorts of bad
habits. I am welcome to join the kids group, but it is rather
disruptive. The kids (9-12 years) are better than I am, but have no
stamina and are slower so the rhythm of the group is hard to maintain.
And it is a kids group, so I would end up sacrificing my learning so as
not to ruin it for the kids.

There must be a place I can take some lessons.

I had a similar problem when I started Master's swimming a few years
ago. For one of my sessions, I was in with a bunch of kids. Over one
or two lengths they were faster than me and liked to prove it.
However, my pacing was better and I could finish longer intervals at
much the same speed as I started. So the coach used to ask me to lead
the lane for anything over 100 m with strict instructions to the
youngsters not to overtake. They didn't get promoted to leading until
they had managed to stay tapping at my toes for the whole set. That
was good for all of us.

However, there was also a group of adults who wanted to improve
technique. So we arranged a weekly club session and hired a coach
between us. You may find that some of the locals want to improve their
racing technique and would be interested.

Good luck in the Birkebeineren.
Alex

Old March 21st 06, 11:10 PM

Joseph,

Did you get my email, or did it fall victim to spamblockers?

Alex