Speed: Boards vs. Skis??

Old November 28th 10, 07:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Cartman

Default Speed: Boards vs. Skis??

In article
,
snowbender wrote:

On our mountains, we mainly do Chinese downhill, and snowboarders bomb
down the grooms always go faster than skiers.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...0****%20is%20a
%20Chinese%20downhill%3F
Old November 28th 10, 08:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 11/28/10 11:44 AM, Dave Hartman wrote:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...0****%20is%20a
%20Chinese%20downhill%3F

Huh? These guys claim the term *Chinese Downhill* originated with the
1984 film _Hot Dog The Movie_

I'm pretty sure it pre-exists, but I bet finding written cites would be
pretty near impossible.
Old November 28th 10, 09:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

lal_truckee wrote:
On 11/28/10 11:44 AM, Dave Hartman wrote:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...0****%20is%20a
%20Chinese%20downhill%3F

Huh? These guys claim the term *Chinese Downhill* originated with the
1984 film _Hot Dog The Movie_

That's the only place I've ever heard it used. Never at a ski area.

Old November 28th 10, 09:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 11/28/10 1:02 PM, Bob F wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:
On 11/28/10 11:44 AM, Dave Hartman wrote:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...0****%20is%20a
%20Chinese%20downhill%3F

Huh? These guys claim the term *Chinese Downhill* originated with the
1984 film _Hot Dog The Movie_

That's the only place I've ever heard it used. Never at a ski area.

I imagine it derives from the *Chinese Firedrill* where everybody piles
out of a car, runs around the vehicle, and reenters: preferably when
stopped in traffic lanes on a busy street, the mass exit / mass start
being the connection. *Chinese Firedrill* dates back to the 1950s IIRC.
CLIP

Alpine Meadows promulgates a *Chinese Downhill* mass start race annually
in the late spring - prize is a season pass. Been doing it for many
years, maybe decades - can't recall if earlier than 1984.
Old November 28th 10, 09:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...he%20****%20is....
%20Chinese%20downhill%3F

Huh? These guys claim the term *Chinese Downhill* originated with the
1984 film _Hot Dog The Movie_

I'm pretty sure it pre-exists, but I bet finding written cites would be
pretty near impossible.

We used it in the 60's in Vermont and New Hampshire.
Old November 28th 10, 11:01 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
snoig

Is it not "Then those skiers are better at skiing then the
snowboarders they are competing against"? Even head-to-head
competition may not prove it which one is faster, let alone the
separated run on different days.

The is a large body of skier/boarder X race results run on the same
course and often on the same day. All these results say that skiers
are roughly 10% faster. Head-to-head competition has already proven
that skiers are faster. That's why they don't run head-to-head
competitions anymore. The skiers always won. When you look at the
body of race results, the course conditions average out over time and
skiers are consistently faster.

Well then you sould be able to find an article where someone claims
that. *Where's the article?

Hear-say? No, I don't chase the wind. Given that you cannot straight-
lining/line-skiing, a bomb down snowboarder will be faster then you is
a certainty, wanna bet?

I have no idea what you are trying to say here. Apparently something
about my skiing ability which you know absolutely nothing about. Why,
you don't even know if I ski, board or tele. Could you clarify your
statement in English so we may be able to understand what you are
trying to say?

Snow quality may affect speed but not by those kind of margins when we
are comparing Olympic caliber skiers and snowboarders.

The whole racing environment may affect the outcome of the race,
including some lucks, Lindsey Vonn lost her bid on 2010 Olympic slalom
event reflects a typical example.

So what does this have to do with skiers or snowboarders being
faster? Anybody can get a DNF. It happens all the time in all ski or
snowboard racing. And all you need to do is look at the multitude of
race results to compare. Skiers are always faster. Any affects of
snow quality or conditions are averaged out when you look at that many
results.

I'm still waiting for you to show one example were one boarder X
winner was faster than the winning skier X winner. Even when
conditions favor boarders over skiers, the skiers still beat the
boarders so your example is complete b.s.

Given that, yes, skiers are faster, but it only proves it in a
confined environment--a X course--where every turn and every jump are
known and thoroughly inspected, so every maneuver is predictable and
planed ahead, sure, skiers have the advantage, but I'm more
interesting in Chinese downhill where every competitor has to find his/
her own path, then the quick maneuvering of snowboarding results in
shorter straighter line would give the snowboarders advantage, who
would go faster is "still up in the air," especially in heavy powder/
cement in heavily wooded areas.

So now you admit skiers are faster? No snowbard can ever out maneuver
a skier who is the same level. Why? Because skis have four edges and
snowboards only have two. I have never seen any snowboarder who could
carve turns as fast as the many Pro Mogul competitors that I've been
out on the mountain with.

Not like your little-mindedness, I just keep my mind open.

You're not keeping your mind open at all. All you do is try to insult
when you have been proven wrong. And this is just another example.
Old November 29th 10, 12:17 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Cartman

In article ,
lal_truckee wrote:

On 11/28/10 11:44 AM, Dave Hartman wrote:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...0****%20is%20a
%20Chinese%20downhill%3F

Huh? These guys claim the term *Chinese Downhill* originated with the
1984 film _Hot Dog The Movie_

I'm pretty sure it pre-exists, but I bet finding written cites would be
pretty near impossible.

To be fair, that is urbandictionary.com and is not exactly an an
academic source.

I just liked that my first reaction paralleled that of the Asian skier
in "Hotdog - The Movie" -- "What the **** is a Chinese downhill?"
Old November 29th 10, 12:41 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 11/28/10 1:16 PM, lal_truckee wrote:

CLIP

Alpine Meadows promulgates a *Chinese Downhill* mass start race annually
in the late spring - prize is a season pass. Been doing it for many
years, maybe decades - can't recall if earlier than 1984.

Just to be clear, Alpine DOES NOT (and AFAIK never has) bill their mass
start race as a *Chinese Downhill* - that would be offensive.
Old November 29th 10, 01:07 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

On 11/28/2010 06:01 PM, snoig wrote:
[...]

Uhm, I've never seen a pro mogul competitor carve a turn.
That may be why they CAN turn so fast.

Old November 29th 10, 01:31 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 11/28/10 5:07 PM, VtSkier wrote:

Uhm, I've never seen a pro mogul competitor carve a turn.
That may be why they CAN turn so fast.

Uh, I hope you meant "in the course?"

These guys/gals are pretty dam good free skiers.

.... as are alpine worldcuppers.