Classic Roller Skiing and Difference between Jenex V2 Aero 125 and V2 105SRX

Old April 17th 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
mountainwalker

Default Classic Roller Skiing and Difference between Jenex V2 Aero 125 and V2 105SRX

I'm interested in finding out more about stable 3 wheel classic roller
skis. Do people enjoy classic roller skiing? Which models of 3 wheel
classic skis do people like?

Also, has anyone tried the 105SRX Retro Classic - it uses solid rubber
tires and should be able to use the new Jenex wheels that are being
tested now (I spoke with Robin at Jenex and Len is testing 3-4 speeds
of 105 rubber tires Jenex will be offering) and/or the Aero 125 Retro
Classic?

On first glance I think I'd like the 105SRX Retro Classic because of
the solid rubber wheels and lighter weight (I believe it's lighter
than the Aero 125 Retro Classic). I'm biased toward no air tires
(easier maintenance).

Old April 18th 07, 01:49 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Marsh Jones

I do a fair amount of classic rollerskiing (and mostly classic ski), and
infinitely prefer the Jenex 800 series or Marwe Classics. Two important
points. Classic rollerskiing *will* induce bad habits - lazy kick, soft
poling. Very few people are willing to commit and explode on rollerskis
like you should on snow. Having a bad pole plant on pavement leaves
some serious scrapes. Also, the stability of 3 wheels does nothing for
fixing your form. If you can't stand up on the fat wheel skis, FIX YOUR
ANKLES AND CORE. Don't make a bad situation worse by bandaiding it with
3 wheels, outriggers, etc.
I mostly doublepole on classic RS workouts. I kick only when I can't DP
or for intervals. But 2 hours is about the max. Anything longer just
seems to induce really ugly habits.

My .02

Marsh

Old April 18th 07, 02:49 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
mountainwalker

mountainwalker wrote:
I'm interested in finding out more about stable 3 wheel classic roller
skis. Do people enjoy classic roller skiing? Which models of 3 wheel
classic skis do people like?

Also, has anyone tried the 105SRX Retro Classic - it uses solid rubber
tires and should be able to use the new Jenex wheels that are being
tested now (I spoke with Robin at Jenex and Len is testing 3-4 speeds
of 105 rubber tires Jenex will be offering) and/or the Aero 125 Retro
Classic?

On first glance I think I'd like the 105SRX Retro Classic because of
the solid rubber wheels and lighter weight (I believe it's lighter
than the Aero 125 Retro Classic). I'm biased toward no air tires
(easier maintenance).

Thanks Marsh, that was helpful. I have no intention of picking up
classic skis right away - I'm just getting going on skate roller
skis. How good a workout do you get doing classic roller skiing
compared with skate roller skiing? I would imagine it would be
rigorous classic roller, but I guess that depends on how hard you work.

Old April 18th 07, 04:12 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

There's a long history that supports classic rollerskiing as better
for endurance conditioning that skating. More controlled and linear
ups and downs. Don't know if the article about the Soviet team study
from the late 80s is still up, but the take home line was that the
team half that trained 2/3 classic won all the medals (included
Smirnov). Last fall an article on fasterskier from the German women's
team said they were rolling classical for long workouts. I've never had
the degree of problem Marsh reports and am able to explode and get off
the skis more quickly. Even so, given the available terrain close by, DP
and K-DP tend to dominate my workouts. Except for a little variety here
and there, I pretty much save striding for hills that require it.

rm

Old April 19th 07, 01:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Randy

Very important codicil. LISTEN to this man! I did an extensive amount of
classic roller skiing last year, mixed in with my attempts to teach
myself skate skiing on roller skis.I was actually way more successful
with the skate than classic. It REALLY messed me up with classic come
snowfall. My kick, come ski season, was off to the point it took me two
full weeks to recover. I wouldn't have even guessed what had happened
had no I mentioned it to the instructor who was teaching me skate.Poling
was really messed up even though I had spent a considerable amount o
time working on DP. That and my kick had me glued too the snow. Roller
skiing is a wonderful workout for the non-snow months and it made the
difference between me being able to skate and not being able to
skate... BUT...beware with classic!

Old April 19th 07, 02:37 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Randy

I will add another note here. My workout with my classic skates, the SKi
SKett Nordic combis, has changed this year. Extensive use of DP and KDP.
THAT was a suggestion by a well-known coach in this area. Another trick
was to loosen, just slightly, my ratcheted wheels thus giving me a more
realistic kick. I'm a bit paranoid about the kick because of (earlier
post).No data to support the classic vs skate workout: my own experience
has been about equal, which probably has more to do with my technique,
level of fitness and terrain than any objective intelligence.I do seem
more tired with the classic workout. I can adjust the roller skis
somewhat to increase resistance and can't achieve the same with the skate.

Old April 19th 07, 06:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

I'm thinking some things are getting tossed together about classical
rollerskiing that shouldn't. Assuming good technique, if you stride *a
lot* in terrain that is too easy for striding, then you're more likely
to develop the habit of staying on the kick too long. It's simply too
hard to maintain for long the quick-kicking tempo that easier terrain
creates. You have to slow down, which means staying on the rollerski
longer, which for *some* people leads to bad habits. However, if you
stride on uphills that are steep enough to allow for a quicker kick at
whatever output level just to keep going, then bad habits are less
likely to develop. The thing is that we don't normally spend a lot of
time on such terrain and do spend a lot of time on easier terrain.
That's why the emphasis on DP and Kick-DP, and the warning about
striding.

As a caveat to all these bad habit warnings, I suggest comparing the
numerous warnings on rsn of the bad things that come from using a
Nordic Track (do a group search), with Bill Koch's comment about
wishing he'd discovered the machine earlier.

rm

Old April 20th 07, 02:31 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

mountainwalker wrote:

I'm interested in finding out more about stable 3 wheel classic
roller skis. Do people enjoy classic roller skiing? Which models
of 3 wheel classic skis do people like?

Also, has anyone tried the 105SRX Retro Classic - it uses solid
rubber tires and should be able to use the new Jenex wheels that
are being tested now (I spoke with Robin at Jenex and Len is
testing 3-4 speeds of 105 rubber tires Jenex will be offering)
and/or the Aero 125 Retro Classic?

On first glance I think I'd like the 105SRX Retro Classic because of
the solid rubber wheels and lighter weight (I believe it's lighter
than the Aero 125 Retro Classic). I'm biased toward no air tires
(easier maintenance).

Dear all:

I use Aero 150 Combis with an outrigger for classic. Heavy, yes, but
I swore off small hard wheel skis after too many falls when fully
committed to the gliding ski from tiny pebbles or twigs or pavement
imperfections, especially in the dark. I have the outrigger adjusted
high off the road (plus they're worn), so they rarely touch down, but
the Aeros are just too unstable for a confident committed classic kick
without them unless you have technical perfection, and perfection
becomes difficult to maintain kick after kick for a few hours.

Yes, bad habits are easy to develop on roller skis and Nordic Tracks,
but the specific training is worth the risk to me, especiallly if I
really try to take time to think about proper technique while using
them. Some periodic expert coaching is useful to avoid and correct
bad habits, especially if you can use video to view yourself.

I am rather intrigued by the V2-Jenex 9000 series classic roller ski,
with the 1005 wheel (clutched) up front and the wider 910, 920, or 930
wheel in back, and also the Norwegian Dynaskate suspended skate skis.
Anyone tried 'em?

Randy

Old April 20th 07, 08:01 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
FrontRunner

I have been on DynaSkates since they first came out 4 years ago. I highly
recommend them. They are a bit pricey ($500 or $600), but they have a great
on snow feel and the suspension smoothes out the ride on less than smooth
pavement. I have them set up with Marwe 100mm wheels (2,000 to 3,000 mile
wheel life) and have averaged over 2,000 miles a year over those four years
and they have held up well.

The FrontRunner

wrote in message
ups.com...

Old April 20th 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

I imagine four years ago the dollar was in a lot better shape relative
to the Norwegian NOK. It is an interesting idea, now that the Marwe is
getting up there in price. The 610 has the ski shaft frame that
flexes. Do these feel the same or softer with the suspension effect?
Did you ever try their wheels? Which spring do you have, or the set?

rm