New WR in 100m Sprint---should be longer?

Old November 27th 05, 04:40 PM

Default New WR in 100m Sprint---should be longer?

I see that a Coloradan set a new WR in the 100m Ski Sprint---in W.
Yellowstone. Under 12 seconds. Cool.

I don't follow the ultrashort events all that much, but offhand it
seems to me that for max public impact that ski records should focus on
the shortest distances where ski speed is faster than running. Like,
what's the record ski speed for 1km? The Kilo might be a fun
distance---and give an impression time. Or to inspire US audiences more
maybe The Mile is the distance to shoot at. Or Quarter Mile---whatever
distance skiing starts whuppin' on running.

Anyone know what times XC gives for Quarter Mile and Mile?

I like the idea of trying to give the public at least a bit of an
apples-to-apples idea of XC. As in the Birkie. I recall we once did a
rough calculation that showed the Birkie is skied at as fast of a pace
as the Chequemegon(?) Mt-Bike race is ridden on approx the same trails.
Maybe one PR barrier for XC in the US is an impression that it's
slowish.

Another example would be the impression that XC is slower than Alpine
skiing---but what is the average speed of alpine on a black-diamond run
compared to xc on a black trail? Maybe we should just look at the
downhill portions. My impression is that XC doesn't feel or give a
sensation of being much, if any slower, than alpine---since on
downhills the XC skis are allowed to run out. The turns-aspect of
alpine really cuts the speed by more than in half---it's a turning
sport, not a speed sport. Also, XC has the PR of being "a lot of
work"---well, proper alpine is a max workout, too.

--JP