Have skis got longer again?

Old December 14th 12, 11:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
PipL

Default Have skis got longer again?

On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 22:00:56 +0000, Michael Chare
mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorgDOTuk wrote:

Just anything narrow is a problem! One difficulty is that paths that are
not to narrow in the morning get rucked up at the edges - making them
much narrower.

True enough. There's a track in Flaine that's not particularly steep that
leads to the Styx run (Access Gers) that I generally take pretty carefully:
there's a steep-ish drop on the left and a bank on the right. It gets glazed
and slightly bumpy if the snow's a bit scarce, and it's easy to build up speed
if you're not careful, and then it's hard to stop. Worse if a group sees the
steeper (but wider) bit at the track end and decides to stop on the track...

--

Pip

Old December 15th 12, 01:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Paul S

"Ace" wrote in message
On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 18:25:52 -0000, "Paul S"
news_AT_ghweb_DOT_me_DOT_uk wrote:

"Ace" wrote in message
. ..
My first skis, in ~1994, were 205s. Seems incredible, but there really
was a general belief that longer was better, although very few people

So rule of thumb when I learnt to ski was the type should reach your
nose -
what do you reckon it should be now - shoulder?

There's no rule of thumb based on height, but on what sort of skier
and skiing you are doing. A beginner should start with nothing longer
thatn around 160cm, otherwise it's just making everything moer
difficult for them. Hardcore freeride skiing would want something
closer to 2m, unless you're particularly small, so some women's
freeride skis do come as low as 180cm. Racers will use the shortest
ski they can for Slalom (which had its rules changed to stop them
getting too short) and something in the 190cm range for GS and
Downhill. Again, not dependent on height like it used to be (thought
to be).

I was interested specifically about someone learning now - I shall be
skiing with a newbie this year and was wondering what the current thinking
was about ski length for a person of normal weight.

--
Paul S

Old December 15th 12, 05:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
The Older Gentleman[_2_]

Paul S news_AT_ghweb_DOT_me_DOT_uk wrote:

I shall be
skiing with a newbie this year and was wondering what the current thinking
was about ski length for a person of normal weight.

Sucks in tummy

Normal for what?

--
Honda CB400 Four x2 Triumph Street Triple Ducati 800SS
Yamaha 660 Tenere Suzuki GN250, TS250ER x2
Old December 15th 12, 09:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_3_]

On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 17:16:47 +0000,
(The Older Gentleman) wrote:

Paul S news_AT_ghweb_DOT_me_DOT_uk wrote:

I shall be
skiing with a newbie this year and was wondering what the current thinking
was about ski length for a person of normal weight.

Sucks in tummy

Normal for what?

Norfolk?

--
Ace
Ski Club of Great Britain
Old November 6th 13, 04:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe

Ace wrote:

As it happens, this was about the period when things were changing,
and so my next few skis went down through dtages of 203, 198, 195,
188, 183, 177, then back to 192 (my Salomon Czar fat long rocker
off-piste skis), as my skiing improved. When I teach now most
beginners are on 160 or shorter, and the progress we can make is
incredible.

Of course, it could just be down to my skills as a teacher...

My theory: To sell skis you have to sell a product which is 'new' and
'different'. Therefore what you need is fashion. This sells more skis.

The amount of upturn at the front of the ski was quite high in the
1960s but as pisting improved, this height gradually reduced. You did
not need it as much. But that is, likely, the only evolutionary
change.

Can some one keep any eye out for me for a pair of mid-1990s era K2
Explorer. These are the one pair of skis I regret never putting in
line-up.