April in Colorado?

Old November 2nd 13, 07:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Toller[_3_]

Default April in Colorado?

Still trying to figure out a Spring vacation. Someone here suggested going to Moab to hike and SLC to ski and that sounded like a great idea. Air fares are reasonable, but it turns out you can't rent a car in SLC and leave it in Moab. It is long and expensive to fly from SLC to Moab because all the flights go through Denver.
So that brings up the idea of April in Colorado. I suppose I could ski someplace near Denver, fly to Moab, hike, and fly home. That is rather more reasonable.
Is there anyplace near Denver with decent snow in April. Please bear in mind that I am not really looking for powder; just a decent vertical covered with something other than the ice we laughably call snow in WNY.
Old November 2nd 13, 11:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

It's a 5 hour drive to Moab. And it's a nice one once you leave Provo. Go through Price and Green River. You could ski 3/4 day and be in Moab for late dinner. Spend a couple of days and be back in SLV for a few more ski days. Or go to Zion NP and ski Brianhead?
Old November 3rd 13, 03:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 11/02/2013 05:54 PM, pigo wrote:

It's a 5 hour drive to Moab. And it's a nice one once you leave
Provo. Go through Price and Green River. You could ski 3/4 day and be
in Moab for late dinner. Spend a couple of days and be back in SLV
for a few more ski days. Or go to Zion NP and ski Brianhead?

I love Brian Head.

I heartily recommend the drive from Mexican Hat (261) -- Moki-Dugway
-- Left on 95 -- Left on 24 to Capitol Reef. Google says under 4
hours, but it deserves a whole day at least. There's so much beautiful
stuff in Utah it's not possible to pick the best places. "It's all
good" is the perfect description.

--
Cheers, Bev
Sign on restroom hand-dryer:

Old November 3rd 13, 03:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 2:54:58 PM UTC-6, Toller wrote:
Still trying to figure out a Spring vacation. Someone here suggested going to Moab to hike and SLC to ski and that sounded like a great idea. Air fares are reasonable, but it turns out you can't rent a car in SLC and leave it in Moab. It is long and expensive to fly from SLC to Moab because all the flights go through Denver.

So that brings up the idea of April in Colorado. I suppose I could ski someplace near Denver, fly to Moab, hike, and fly home. That is rather more reasonable.

Is there anyplace near Denver with decent snow in April. Please bear in mind that I am not really looking for powder; just a decent vertical covered with something other than the ice we laughably call snow in WNY.

All the ski areas in Summit County Colorado are about an hour and a half from Denver and most close around mid April. Loveland and A-Basin both stay open later and they usually all have good coverage that time of year. You can drive to Moab from there but you may want to consider someplace closer like Frutia on the Utah/Colorado line. They have lots of great hiking and biking trails and it's only about a 3 to 4 hour drive from Summit County.
Old November 3rd 13, 06:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Stallard[_4_]

On Sunday, November 3, 2013 11:27:58 AM UTC-5, wrote:

All the ski areas in Summit County Colorado are about an hour and a half from Denver and most close around mid April. Loveland and A-Basin both stay open later and they usually all have good coverage that time of year.

A key advantage of the Summit Co areas for spring is their high elevation, which delays the arrival of spring conditions. Breckenridge and Copper are good bets also, but if you're in the area, I'd definitely do a day at A-Basin.

Dave

Old November 3rd 13, 07:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Toller[_3_]

Turns out a one way rental is absurdly expensive, so I guess that leaves flying into SLC, renting a car, skiing, driving to Moab, and back to SLC.

I will have more questions in a months or two.

I appreciate (almost) everyone's help.

Old November 3rd 13, 10:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 3:54:58 PM UTC-5, Toller wrote:
Still trying to figure out a Spring vacation. Someone here suggested going to Moab to hike and SLC to ski and that sounded like a great idea. Air fares are reasonable, but it turns out you can't rent a car in SLC and leave it in Moab. It is long and expensive to fly from SLC to Moab because all the flights go through Denver. So that brings up the idea of April in Colorado. I suppose I could ski someplace near Denver, fly to Moab, hike, and fly home. That is rather more reasonable. Is there anyplace near Denver with decent snow in April. Please bear in mind that I am not really looking for powder; just a decent vertical covered with something other than the ice we laughably call snow in WNY.

Sorry about the responses you're getting from our resident troll. He has forgotten how he used to be helpful to folks, and now only rants and raves about things he hears and sees in his mind. Too bad, because he was once a great poster and offered much good advice.
Old November 4th 13, 12:37 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Toller[_3_]

Sorry about the responses you're getting from our resident troll. He has forgotten how he used to be helpful to folks, and now only rants and raves about things he hears and sees in his mind. Too bad, because he was once a great poster and offered much good advice.
--------------------------
So what happened? It takes him quite a bit of time to rant like he does, and is just a laughing stock. Why does he do it?

Old November 4th 13, 06:52 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 11/03/2013 05:37 PM, Toller wrote:

Sorry about the responses you're getting from our resident troll.
He has forgotten how he used to be helpful to folks, and now only
rants and raves about things he hears and sees in his mind. Too
bad, because he was once a great poster and offered much good
advice.

So what happened? It takes him quite a bit of time to rant like he
does, and is just a laughing stock. Why does he do it?

It dates back to 1999. He thought that somebody had used
inappropriately the free lift tickets he'd given to him/her and it's
gone downhill from there. He used to be real-life friends with a lot of
people whom he's now alienated. He rants and raves and some people
respond. At one time almost everybody responded, but most of us stopped
long ago. Some tried to help, some merely jeered, some did both. For a
while he had a friend who egged him on to greater and greater flights of
self-pity and vituperation, but that friend was smart enough to go away
after a while.

He lives in Seattle and is harmless. I'm sure someone will post the
link to the article that gives a mostly-accurate rendition of the story
of the first (and probably only) person to ever be banned by a judge
from a usenet newsgroup -- which didn't work, of course.

Enjoy your trip!

--
Cheers, Bev
"Don't you wish there were a knob on the TV to turn up the

Old November 4th 13, 01:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Sun, 3 Nov 2013 17:37:24 -0800 (PST), Toller wrote
this crap:

Sorry about the responses you're getting from our resident troll.
He has forgotten how he used to be helpful to folks, and now only
rants and raves about things he hears and sees in his mind.
Too bad, because he was once a great poster and offered much good advice.
So what happened? It takes him quite a bit of time to rant like
he does, and is just a laughing stock. Why does he do it?

It's Bush's fault.

There's no need to fear if Trunky is near.

Where to go mid april 08 JP[_2_] European Ski Resorts 8 October 20th 07 05:46 PM
Colorado conditions last week of March, early April blahdoody North American Ski Resorts 1 January 3rd 06 11:02 PM
SLC April Jim Strohm Alpine Skiing 1 February 4th 05 01:13 AM
How is S:t Anton around April 1st? Tommy Petersson European Ski Resorts 3 March 10th 04 09:49 AM
In Colorado For A Ski Trip??? Visit Crested Butte Colorado!!!!! PaulC General 0 February 21st 04 06:35 PM