depressed? buy new skis !! need advice...

Old January 28th 05, 11:21 PM
cpella

The other thing I would note is that around here (Ottawa) , depending
on the store, the RC11/RS11s can be $100 off the price of Fischers.
Better to save the bucks and perhaps buy a klister ski, or send out
your skis for a good grind.
I'm glad other people have noticed how much fun they are on
downhills... wasn't sure if it was my lack of experience. These are my
3rd pair of classic skis since I started skiing 4 years ago and I found
it quite a revelation the first time I aced some sections easily that
had been giving me problems.
I've encountered many people, some who are even just getting into
skiing as cross-training, who go straight for the Fischers assuming
they are the only ones worth considering. They also don't consider that
the skis that are good for hard-track world cup conditions aren't
always optimal for local trails, and I suspect the Fischer designs may
be biased in that direction.

Old February 1st 05, 07:16 AM
Nathan Schultz

Jeff,

Sorry you missed the Noque. It was a good year.

Disclaimer - I am sponsored by Fischer.

Get what you can be best fitted for. If your local shop stocks a lot of
Fischers, it is more likely that they can get you fitted very closely and
you will end up with a better pair of skis than you would if you go with
another brand where they only stock a few pairs. If you talk to most
serious wax technicians, they all seem to agree that the probability of
getting a good Fischer ski is higher than all other brands. Everyone makes
good skis; Fischer makes a lot of good skis.

I have to rib you about your comment about the "big guns" skiing on
Rossignol. Fischer is the winningest ski on the World Cup and has been for
many years. Also, Fischer went 1-2-3 in the men's race at the Noquemanon,
and 1-2 in the women's race. While not everything can be attributed to the
skis, it was very obvious that we (Fischer skiers) had much better skis than
everyone else - we opened a six-minute gap while cruising....

Enjoy your new skis, whatever you choose. Just make sure that you find
a good match to your weight, skiing conditions and ability and you will be
happy.

-Nathan
www.nsavage.com

"32 degrees" wrote in message
I'm so depressed I'm missing the Noquemanon I'm going to buy some new

skis.

I only have one pair of beat up classic skis (fischer circa 1998) and I

need
some new ones....

Should I get the ROSSIGNOL's or FISCHERS ??????

I've read A LOT of good things about rossi classic skis - easy to hit wax
pocket, fast, and "big guns" use 'em.
But, I'm very partial to Fischer - never had a bad pair (slows pair) after

9
pairs purchased (mainly all skate though.)

ANY ADVICE??????
Objective advice.

I hate Atomic, don't even bother saying it.

JK

Old February 1st 05, 09:30 PM
32 degrees

Thanks Nathan !

The dealer I go through deals in both fiscer and rossi and my comment about
rossi simply was that I seem to see a few more rossi skis around on the "big
guns" than in the past. Certainly fischer has way more "big guns." !!!

My local ski shop guy (Dick Fultz XC Ski shop grayling, mich
www.xcskishop.com ) skis Rossi over Fischer... so it got me to wondering
why?
Also, a lot of ROSSI press releases lately talk about a wax pocket that is
EASY to hit for guys like me - mediocre racer types that like to go fast bug
don't have awesome technique. As I understand it, Fischer is a more
technical ski with a more difficult wax pocket to hit?

Noque land is the region I first learned to ski in... and went to college at
NMU. So I was really hoping to make my entrace into the classic marathon
there this last weekend... oh well, maybe next year.

JK

anyway, I'll keep reading and researching and watching prices and make my
decision soon.

PS Have any extra fast, race ready classic skis to sell me Nathan?
165-170 pounds !!
Thats one way to keep a guy on fischers !! hahahahaha
And, I"m going to use the new pair in the Swedish Vasaloppet 2006 !!

Old February 1st 05, 11:12 PM
Camilo

Please, these are honest comments and questions, not challenging anyone's
credibility.

I have absolutely no doubt that Fischer is a top quality line of skis. I
own a pair and I am very happy with them. In my family, we also have a few
other fischers, some Atomics and a couple Madshus (no Rossy's at this stage,
but we've had them). We're happy with all of them, given proper fit (which
isn't always a given with growing kids). But, a couple of things I've
always wondered about. First, do we see so many more Fischers on the podium
because they're inherantly better skis, or because they have a larger
promotional budget? Are they inherently better skis *and* have a larger
promotional budget?

Way (way, way) back when, when I received what we called "pro pricing" on
alpine skis and had my pick of skis on a daily basis from the fully prepped
demo racks, my opinion was that there were several top quality skis. Sure
everyone had their own preference, but when it came right down to it, there
was no clear consensus across the board, and even most indivduals weren't
"married" to any given brand. When we got around to buying them, we would
go for a ski from our own personal favorites, but with the company that
supported us best (in terms of price and availability). Any other
differences were pretty much immaterial. Kind of like "oh, I can't get the
ski that scores 9.8 on my personal scale, I'll just have to settle for the
9.5."

This is why I'm wondering if, among top quality XC racing skis, Fischer does
the best job at promoting their product (mainly through providing skis
and/or selection services) and because of this, are more visible. Or, do
the best skiers seek out Fischer sponsorships and would turn down, say,
Rossi or Atomic because they really think they'll do better on Fischer.

I could make the same comments (from my own history) about alpine boots and
ask the same question. Again, this is an honest question, I'm not trying to
incite anything.

Cam

Old February 2nd 05, 04:51 AM
Nathan Schultz

"Camilo" wrote in message
First, do we see so many more Fischers on the podium
because they're inherantly better skis, or because they have a larger
promotional budget? Are they inherently better skis *and* have a larger
promotional budget?

A little bit of both. Yes, Fischer does have the biggest market share,
so they have a larger promotional budget and are able to sponsor more
skiers. But, at the top level, skiers can choose which brand they want to
ski on, so there are definitely many athletes seeking out Fischer because
they feel Fischer will give them the best skis.

A few years back, one of the ski companies spent a lot of money and
procured almost the entire US National Team and Nordic Combined Team. After
only a couple of seasons, many of those skiers jumped ship because they felt
they were not getting the skis they needed to compete.

As I said in an earlier post, all ski companies make good skis. Fischer
seems to do better with probability, though. All of the professional wax
techs I've spoken with agree that the probability of getting a good Fischer
is higher than getting a good ski from other manufacturers. You can find
good skis everywhere, but it seems that a larger percentage of Fischers will
be "good" skis versus a smaller percentage for other brands.

-Nathan
www.nsavage.com

Old February 2nd 05, 10:31 AM
Anders

Nathan Schultz wrote:

(...) But, at the top level, skiers can choose which brand they want

ski on, so there are definitely many athletes seeking out Fischer

because
they feel Fischer will give them the best skis.

And at the top, but just a notch lower, skiers can choose which brand
they want to ski on, but may have to choose some other brand because
they need a financially decent ski contract (to be able to ski
professionally or to have something to put in their accounts) and not
even Fischer can offer a good contract for *all* top skiers:-)

Fortunately the times are over when a national federation could tie its
skiers with a ski brand: countless are the times when a skier has had
to curse his skis *and* to shut up afterwards - or when a skier has had
to use one pair of skis (with tape in "strategic places") and to
brandish another for the post-race interviews...

Anders

PS I have been reading a book on "Power Yoga" by Beryl Bender Birch:
there is a short passage on how she was teaching in Colorado (IIRC) and
a young, open-minded trainer named Marty Hall brought his skiers for an
introductory class. "Maybe I was too inexperienced, but the following
day Marty came over and complained that he had to cancel his sessions,
because his trainees were aching too much!"

Old February 2nd 05, 11:03 AM
Anders

delltodd wrote:

Sounds like you've yardsaled too !

"Nomen est omen" - or something like that, anyway: last night I skied
down an unlighted track which came from a forest across a lighted,
track on a path across a ditch across a wooden bridge-thing and into a
field. There is a sign (for skiers)saying "Dangerous crossing", but
I=B4ve seen it a hundred times, so it doesn=B4t really register anymore.
However, this was the first time I=B4d skied it this winter and it
turned out that there was *no* track onto the field because the bridge
had collapsed. Unfortunately my reactions were too snow and the snow
bank only managed to slow me sufficiently to make me land right in the
two-meter deep ditch...

(The damage was rather typical: the front of one ski split in two and
the other ski broken near the tail; both poles intact, though.)

There is a lesson in this story.

By contrast to the atomics, the RCS's are narrower overall. This may
have something to do with it. (???)

Yes, I think that this "inherent unstableness" is a question of cut,
first and foremost.

FWIW for downhill purposes skis can be divided into three groups:
1=2E Great skis, which follow the tracks in the steepest of turn like on
rails, you only need to "steer" them by turning your upper body.
2=2E Skis with "understeer", whose tips seem to have a mind of their own
and you have to make a million tiny quick steps or to "semi-snowplow"
all the time.
3=2E Skis with "oversteer", which *seem* to be great skis, but which can
swing you around - instead of turning where you want - if you have to
plow and which are extremely unforgiving of putting too much weight on
the inside ski and will throw your feet from under you.

OTOH all of the above can be eminently skiable once you know which
group they belong to:-)

Anders

Old February 3rd 05, 12:11 AM
32 degrees

ANDERS !
thats hilarious ! Tape in "strategic places" to avoid brandishing another
ski companies logo !!

Along those lines we had a regional skier who was pretty good - had a
sponsorship with reputable (I won't name names) ski company here in
Michigan. Well, after a few seasons the company decided to cut back on
sponsorships and cut off his free ski supply ... for the remainder of the
season he skied on BLACK skis. He had taken a permanent black marker and
colored his entire ski black. No logo, no graphics, no colors and most
importantly - NO ADVERTISING FOR THE COMPANY THAT CUT HIM OFF !!!!!!
HAHAHAHAHA

It actually looked kinda cool - the black "no name" ski !

JK

Any other stories of sponsored skiers who found their older skis (from
another company) were faster and raced on them?