hey Brian Pauley

Old December 9th 07, 05:42 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
shreddir

Default hey Brian Pauley

Thanks for putting the biathlon torrent up. One thing though, you need to
reconnect to the torrent and make those video files you got from "you know
who" available and wait til at least one other guy gets 100% so rest of us
in turn can get our copy. Right now I count at least 12 other people stuck
at 63.3% completion. Nobody can do anything until you re-connect! If you
feel that you can't stick around on the torrent long enough to do this
because say you have a really poor upload speed on your internet connection
(another reason why Comcast cable internet is a piece of crap) then you
should let somebody else who has better connection service (Verizon fiber
optic kicks butt!) get the video first from our friend overseas.

Thanks
shreddir

Old December 9th 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Thanks for saying something. 63.3% on the women's and and 65.5% on the
men's. What Brian probably needs to do is leave his computer on
overnight one or two nights so that some can finish and then seed
others. I don't know if Comcast is involved, since it doesn't seem to
be a problem on mine. But to help with that, everyone using Azureus
should go to Tools Options Connection Transport Encryption and
check the first three boxes: Require encrypted transport, Allow
outgoing nonencrypted if encrypted fails, and allow nonincryped
incoming. I've read that these help get around blockage. Other BT
clients presumably have similar settings.

rm

Old December 9th 07, 07:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
shreddir

rm
My issue with Comcast is not whether you can set up the torrent client to
work, I using Comcast right now with Utorrent. It sucks and I will dump
them as soon as Verizon fiber optic is available where I live. Even you do
the settings correctly with any client program the max effective torrent
upload speed you can get with their standard cable package is 10% of their
advertized 485kb upload speed which is about 48-50kb/s. This is really
slow for seeding anybody especially if a lot of people connect as peers.
That's why last year when I was doing most of the NRK recording for the
group I would tell only people who I knew had fast upload connection the
torrent address first and once they had a 100% copy only then would I
announce the torrent link to the rest of you in the newsgroup. The only way
any Comcast subscriber should be the intial seeder is MAYBE if they have
their so called "Blast" service which costs more $$ and allegedly has a
higher upload speed. I say again, Comcasts download speed is irrelevant
to help get those first seed copies up and running.

Look at Oskar's seeding when he puts up his torrents. His Swedish
internet service is outstanding. I have seen his connection feed me his
file at speeds up to 250kb/s while rest of us Comcast cable losers are
feeding each other is in single digits or teens. This is why he can create
other seeders in only a few hours. We all need to give Oskar major props
and thanks for his recordings and having such good upload service.

Old December 9th 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

"shreddir" wrote:

We all need to give Oskar major props
and thanks for his recordings and having such good upload service.

Yes indeed - nifty quick with the Davos files Oskar. - you the man!
btw, I have BT ADSL service at home - perhaps a bit better than this
Comcast, but still lousy upstream speeds. I got a laptop that comes
and goes with me to work each day, but when home, I'll leave all
nordic ski files seeding active for a week or so.

Old December 10th 07, 03:21 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

I'll have to defer to your knowledge of this. It may have been put
back to default with a recent update, but some time back I had set my
total upload speed to 30 kbps and regularly see transfers in the upper
20s. Not great, but then I don't have anything to compare it to.

"shreddir" wrote:

[...]

. ..

Old December 10th 07, 04:43 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
docbyro

Hi,

I haven't been ignoring your conversation, I just got back to a
computer. I apologize for my apparent teasing of you with the
incomplete file.

In my defense, I did leave my computer on with these torrents going
for three days and waited until I saw that there was another seed out
there for each before I had to shut down for the weekend. I will not
be able to log on until tuesday nights as I'm still out of town. I
apologize for the inconvenience.

Brian