Dressing for current Lake Placid conditions - your suggestions

Old January 30th 07, 03:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
mountainwalker

Default Dressing for current Lake Placid conditions - your suggestions

Hi All,

My wife and I would sincerely appreciate your advice on dressing for
current Lake Placid conditions. We'll be headed up for 4 days. We
are experienced winter hikers so have good winter gear already, but
haven't been X-country skiing in a while and will be spending long
hours outdoors learning skate skiing. Bear in mind that we will be
taking two lessons a day and practicing what we've learned so I
imagine that there will be a lot of stop and go.

Sample Conditions
Open groomed trails and trails through woods
9AM 7F feels like 1F
12 noon - 17F feels like 7F
5PM 15F feels like 6F
8PM 6F feels like 6F (there will be night skiing available while there
on certain trails)

Note we like to use merino base layers, especially for tops, because
they help a lot with temperature regulation (you never feel as chilled
when you stop). Also we'll be bringing a belay jacket to throw on at
rest stops to avoid chilling and so that we can stay out longer at a
time (this is also good for safety in general). We can also bring
light belay pants for this purpose (about 12-14 ounces) though this
might be overkill.

Top Base Layer:
-Woolies thin merino wool zip L/S top

Top Mid-layer:
-Polartec high loft "hairy" fleece, about 12-13 ounces
-OR slightly lighter, thinner power stretch top, about 8-9 ounces,
with less loft, less warm than "hairy" fleece

Top Outer Layer (in this cold we definitely need one):
-Light 14-15 ounce polyester hooded softshell (Patagonia Ready Mix
Jacket)
-OR Very light 3 ounce polyester hooded softshell windbreaker

Bottom Base Layer (could use 2 layers on bottom or just go with one
pair of tights below):
- Thin Ibex Woolies merino wool base layer
- OR slightly thicker Ibex merino wool long johns/janes
- OR use only tights that are power stretch in back and power shield
(most windproof) in front with no base layer (I have a pair of Golite
Propel pants and my wife has a similar pair from REI)

Bottom Outer Layer:
- Ibex Backcountry Softshell merino/cordura stretch pants (about 15
ounces)
- OR Mammut Castor WB400 Softshell stretch pants (mostly windproof but
still breathable)
- OR just use the Golite Propel and REI tights above that are
windproof in front and wind resistant in back (may not be warm enough)
with no base layer.

Head:
-Have lightweight thin powerstretch Balaclavas to shield face
-sport sunglasses and goggles (which help keep warmth)
-an Outdoor Research WB400 Softshell Hat, very warm

Pack:
-We were going to bring our light hiking backpacks to carry the belay
jackets, snacks, hydration bladders (with thermal cover for tubes and
starting with warm water), etc. (they are about 2 1/2 pounds each and
very comfortable) - would you recommend against a pack and recommend
we simply stay closer to the base lodge while we are learning? We
have small fanny packs and a camelback, but these can't hold much
beyond water or a water bottle and a few small items.

Old January 30th 07, 10:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

On 30 Jan 2007 08:55:22 -0800, "mountainwalker"
wrote:

will be spending long
hours outdoors learning skate skiing. Bear in mind that we will be
taking two lessons a day and practicing what we've learned so I
imagine that there will be a lot of stop and go.

Details snipped
would you recommend against a pack and recommend
we simply stay closer to the base lodge while we are learning?

Wear two or three layers most of the time -- a baselayer and a shell
or wind-resistant top layer, with something in between perhaps on top,
and experiment with what you like wearing.

I also don't think you should wear a very warm hat -- wear a thin wool
or wicking hat. Or at least have a thin hat available.
--
JT
****************************
Old January 31st 07, 12:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
highpeaksnordic

On Jan 30, 11:55 am, "mountainwalker"
wrote:

My wife and I would sincerely appreciate your advice on dressing for
current Lake Placid conditions.

WOW!!!!
Seems like an awful lot of gear and clothing - I'm thinking you'll
quickly shed the majority of it.

Even when I teach the 3rd grade program, I rarely wear more than a
pair of Craft or Swix wind-front / stretch-back warmups. I usually
wear a Duofold or Craft turtleneck base layer and a fleece vest, along
with my ORDA jacket (LL Bean) or a Sugoi wind jacket. If it is too
much, just drop it by the side of the trail and come back and get it -
this is a sight you'll see quite often in the afternoons.

All that said, be advised that the Porter Mtn loops are like skiing in
another world - that portion of Van Ho seems to have its own weather
and snow conditions. The snow is drier, sharper and colder than (say)
the Biathlon side. Temps and wind also seem very different.

we simply stay closer to the base lodge while we are learning?

The Stadium is a funny place, most beginning skiers just skate back
and forth as they work on technique. More often than not there is a
stiff wind as you head back towards the lodge which can be
surprisingly cold. Afternoons, the Stadium is filled w/ the NYSEF,
Bill Koch, and local HS teams for practices, games and meets. Thurs &
Fri mornings are the 3rd grade program, with up to 60 kids.

very comfortable) - would you recommend against a pack

Yes - that is something I wouldn't want swinging around on my back or
affecting my balance / body lean.

have small fanny packs and a camelback,

A small water bottle carrier holding a gel and/or powerbar is about
all you need.

Don't forget to have fun! Stay for the Sunday Series race at 2 pm!

- Bob

Old January 31st 07, 04:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
mountainwalker

wrote:

[...]

Hi Highpeaksnordic,

We didn't plan on carrying all of that! We try to go as light as
possible in general. Those were just choices from our winter gear to
choose from based on conditions/your advice. OK, that gives me a good
idea. But don't forget - you're out instructing almost every day and
living in a colder climate. When I was in a military SF unit, I was
living outside for weeks at a time and could wear less layers because
I was well conditioned to the cold. Now that my wife and I are
hacking away at keyboards and meetings indoors, with only an hours
winter exercise outside on some days, you can bet we'll need another
layer.

I think we'll be good with a medium base layer zip top and our light
(about 14 ounce) softshell top (like your Sugoi jacket but with a hood
and just a few ounces heavier), which is highly wind resistant but
very breathable, with a light hat and either wind tights like yours
(windproof in front, power stretch wind resistant in back) and a thin
balaclava in our pockets or the softshell pants. We'll keep a light
fleece vest or midlayer top at the lodge (or in a larger fanny pack if
we have room) in case we need them at some point. And we'll be glad
to stick with fanny packs.

Are there lockers at the lodge for storing stuff?

Hope to see you out there! Look for a 6 ft tall guy in black hat and
5 ft 6-7 gal in a blue hat both wearing bright orange jackets out
mornings and afternoons every day practicing, practicing, practicing
and having fun. Thanks again.

Old January 31st 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

On 31 Jan 2007 09:46:50 -0800, "mountainwalker"
wrote:

I think we'll be good with a medium base layer zip top and our light
(about 14 ounce) softshell top (like your Sugoi jacket but with a hood
and just a few ounces heavier), which is highly wind resistant but
very breathable, with a light hat and either wind tights like yours
(windproof in front, power stretch wind resistant in back) and a thin
balaclava in our pockets or the softshell pants. We'll keep a light
fleece vest or midlayer top at the lodge (or in a larger fanny pack if
we have room) in case we need them at some point. And we'll be glad
to stick with fanny packs.

This sounds right.

Are there lockers at the lodge for storing stuff?

I'm not sure -- I've seen them but not sure if they still work.

I, and many people, just leave clothes and stuff in a bag in the
lodge. At most keep your wallet with you but leaving clothes and
stuff around shouldn't be a problem.
--
JT
Old February 1st 07, 02:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
highpeaksnordic

On Jan 31, 12:46 pm, "mountainwalker"
wrote:

Hope to see you out there!

Not likely - I'm not working Thurs or Fri and am planning on racing
Sat & Sun in Old Forge.

Enjoy yourself, 2" or so of new snow today!