utah skiing

Old January 22nd 04, 09:46 PM
Chris

Default utah skiing

Hi I am thinking of going to Utah to do some skiing late this March. Any
suggestions or warnings? I am an intermediate skier at best so which resort
should I go to? Condos? Restaurants? Bargain Tickets?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Old January 22nd 04, 11:18 PM
pigo

"Chris" wrote in message
Hi I am thinking of going to Utah to do some skiing late this March. Any
suggestions or warnings? I am an intermediate skier at best so which

resort
should I go to? Condos? Restaurants? Bargain Tickets?

Thanks in advance

Chris

I replied in rsa. We'll move it over here if the noise level gets too high
over there.

Old January 26th 04, 01:05 PM
Charlie Crabb

(I'll reply here. No sense in going to Baghdad :-)
Gee, no real warnings. If intermediate, you can ski
anywhere there. I would say that people in the groups
that I know really like Alta, for all levels of skier.
Check out Solitude. But you won't go wrong on
any choice. Brighton has more snowboarders.
Alta, of course, has none.
You can get a combined ticket for Alta/Snowbird.
Places like Canyon Sports sell tickets.
As for condos, check the web. We usually stay
in Sandy. Compared to other ski areas, prices
are good. We booked on the web and were
satisfied.
Deer Valley has the best grooming, probably in
the entire world, if not the universe :-). Real
experts don't go there. I would have never skied
it except a friend of mine has a relative there who
is a realtor. So he took us around. Let me tell ya,
it's a nice place. I know we all like to spend big
money on lift tickets elsewhere, but you get your
money's worth at DV. No steeps. If one of the
lines is off in the groomed corduroy, complain :-).
Seriously though, if you don't care about hitting
the big steeps, this place is nice. A new area is
added with steeper terrain which we did not get
to.
Alta has the best snow, maybe in the world.
It is a very fine place to ski.
Most of my friends like Snowbird. This is one
of the hills where half of it is expert (like Taos
and Jackson). But that means you have a thousand
acres to tool around on. But there is no saying you
won't ski some of the expert runs and have a blast
and get better. I did not see the need for the
combined Alta/Snowbird ticket. One day you ski
Alta, the next you ski Snowbird. After that you
get upset that you have to go back home.
For food, there is just a lot there. The big
difference is Park City vs. SLC. Park has a neat
Main type street that has the converted old
buildings. Wasatch Brewery is there with great
micros. Well worth exploring. Anything that
catches your eye is probably good.
It is truly great skiing.
Enjoy.
/c
--
Charlie Crabb

Old January 26th 04, 03:16 PM
pigo

"Charlie Crabb" wrote in message
(I'll reply here. No sense in going to Baghdad :-)

Does Baghdad have a rambling lunatic? I thought they found him in a hole.

Gee, no real warnings. If intermediate, you can ski
anywhere there. I would say that people in the groups
that I know really like Alta, for all levels of skier.
Check out Solitude. But you won't go wrong on
any choice. Brighton has more snowboarders.
Alta, of course, has none.

Alta is inexpensive (comparitivly). He'll get 2-1 for lift tickets there.

You can get a combined ticket for Alta/Snowbird.
Places like Canyon Sports sell tickets.
As for condos, check the web. We usually stay
in Sandy. Compared to other ski areas, prices
are good. We booked on the web and were
satisfied.

If you're coming for a weekend, a hotel is probably the best bet. You can
get into the dives on State St. for about $30/pn. I wouldn't stay there. But
I probably would have when I was 25.

You can get some decent suite hotel deals for about $60-$70 usually but they
require the weeks stay.

Old January 26th 04, 03:35 PM
Chris

Thanks for the advice! Very helpful, it is nice to get the inside story
before I go somewhere. And not a minute to sunni, either.

Chris

Old January 26th 04, 07:05 PM
BoftheW

In article , pigo says...

snip//

Deer Valley has the best grooming, probably in
the entire world, if not the universe :-). Real
experts don't go there. I would have never skied
it except a friend of mine has a relative there who
is a realtor. So he took us around. Let me tell ya,
it's a nice place. I know we all like to spend big
money on lift tickets elsewhere, but you get your
money's worth at DV. No steeps. If one of the
lines is off in the groomed corduroy, complain :-).
Seriously though, if you don't care about hitting
the big steeps, this place is nice. A new area is
added with steeper terrain which we did not get
to.

Pigo might not believe this, but this year, PCMR has upgraded their grooming to
the point that it is equivalent to DV's. I ski both and I swear, the grooming
has been unbelievable this year. After years of sloppy grooming, maybe they
finally figured out that no grooming at all is better than crappy grooming. I
also heard something about 50 runs groomed every night (not confirmed since I
haven't counted). Only difference is that boarders are allowed at PCMR and they
do screw things up by the afternoon (if you believe that boarders are to blame).

BoftheW

Old January 26th 04, 09:28 PM
lal_truckee

BoftheW wrote:

Pigo might not believe this, but this year, PCMR has upgraded their grooming to
the point that it is equivalent to DV's.

Are you praising or panning?

Old January 27th 04, 02:57 AM
Fred

I did not see the need for the
combined Alta/Snowbird ticket. One day you ski
Alta, the next you ski Snowbird.

If you have Spring ski conditions I find an advantage to be able to
hit Mineral Basin (back side of Snowbird with a southern exposure and
earlier softer snow) early and then work around to the front of Alta a
little later. May cost an extra $10 or so, depending how you get the
ticket, but you may get an extra hour or so of quality skiing in. If
you are traveling a long way the incremental money may be worth it.

Fred

Old January 27th 04, 03:27 AM
BoftheW

In article , lal_truckee says...

BoftheW wrote:

Pigo might not believe this, but this year, PCMR has upgraded their grooming to
the point that it is equivalent to DV's.

Are you praising or panning?

A little of both. I don't really care for (over)grooming since I spend most of
my time tele-ing OB, but I have to admit when I head home, PCMR skis better now
than it has in years.

BoftheW

Tai Chi Skiing yunlong Alpine Skiing 8 December 17th 04 03:50 PM
Masters Skiing Camps Nordic Skiing Instruction Nordic Skiing 0 November 1st 04 12:47 PM
March Skiing in Utah Chris Alpine Skiing 16 January 24th 04 03:53 PM
Skiing in Utah BRL Nordic Skiing 5 November 25th 03 06:43 PM