Lone Pine to Mammoth in 9 minutes

Old September 25th 13, 05:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Default Lone Pine to Mammoth in 9 minutes

On Tuesday, September 24, 2013 3:45:40 PM UTC-7, pigo wrote:
On Sunday, September 22, 2013 9:52:02 AM UTC-6, Richard Henry wrote:

The part of 395 that I liked was always the part N. of Mohave.

395 heads east at the Pearsonville/Ridgecrest/Inyokern area. The route from there to Mojave (and eventually LA) is SR14.
Old September 25th 13, 07:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Wednesday, September 25, 2013 11:50:04 AM UTC-6, Richard Henry wrote:
On Tuesday, September 24, 2013 3:45:40 PM UTC-7, pigo wrote:

The part of 395 that I liked was always the part N. of Mohave.

395 heads east at the Pearsonville/Ridgecrest/Inyokern area. The route from there to Mojave (and eventually LA) is SR14.

I took 14 out of the SFV off of the 405 to get up there. It's "Mohave" in AZ and "Mojave" in Ca. I wonder why that is and if they are just interchangeable? Anyone know?

Old September 25th 13, 07:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Wednesday, September 25, 2013 12:16:45 PM UTC-7, pigo wrote:
On Wednesday, September 25, 2013 11:50:04 AM UTC-6, Richard Henry wrote:

On Tuesday, September 24, 2013 3:45:40 PM UTC-7, pigo wrote:

The part of 395 that I liked was always the part N. of Mohave.

395 heads east at the Pearsonville/Ridgecrest/Inyokern area. The route from there to Mojave (and eventually LA) is SR14.

I took 14 out of the SFV off of the 405 to get up there. It's "Mohave" in AZ and "Mojave" in Ca. I wonder why that is and if they are just interchangeable? Anyone know?

They are pronounced the same.

The SR14 route north was under construction when I first moved to So Cal. From my beach-front apartment in Oxnard, just down from John Caradine and Sonny+Cher (and Chaz when she was still Chastity), I came west on 126, and then found my way through the Newhall hills until I got to the finished part of 14. As the years passed, 14 was finished all the way to I5 (ramps on the interchange have fallen down twice in earthquakes) and on the desert end all the way to Mojave. I remember pulling over to the side of 14 somewhere north of Mojave to grab a couple hours of snooze under a Joshua tree.
Old September 25th 13, 11:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Wednesday, September 25, 2013 1:59:38 PM UTC-6, Richard Henry wrote:

They are pronounced the same.

I know that. Maybe interchangeable in the spelling too?

The SR14 route north was under construction when I first moved to So Cal. From my beach-front apartment in Oxnard, just down from John Caradine and Sonny+Cher (and Chaz when she was still Chastity), I came west on 126, and then found my way through the Newhall hills until I got to the finished part of 14. As the years passed, 14 was finished all the way to I5 (ramps on the interchange have fallen down twice in earthquakes) and on the desert end all the way to Mojave. I remember pulling over to the side of 14 somewhere north of Mojave to grab a couple hours of snooze under a Joshua tree.

I seem to remember Palmdale Hwy? We'd cut across off of 14 out of Newhall there to pick up 395 N. to Tahoe or Yosemite. Or keep headed east to Lake Mohave.

Old September 26th 13, 01:07 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Wednesday, September 25, 2013 4:36:40 PM UTC-7, pigo wrote:
[...]

Just north of Mojave you can take SR58 east, meeting 395 at an intersection at Kramer Junction in the middle of nowhere, or continue eastward toward I15 and I40 at Barstow. SR14 cuts diagonally to 395 and is shorter.
Old September 26th 13, 07:37 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Always looking at Vasquez Rocks as long as we possibly could. We used
to go dirtriding at Bean Canyon at the end of Backus Road off 395.
First place I ever saw a wind farm. Wonderful and creepy.

--
Cheers, Bev
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old September 26th 13, 02:56 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Thursday, September 26, 2013 1:37:19 AM UTC-6, The Real Bev wrote:

Vasquez Rocks seems so urban now!

Old September 26th 13, 03:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 09/26/2013 07:56 AM, pigo wrote:

On Thursday, September 26, 2013 1:37:19 AM UTC-6, The Real Bev wrote:

Vasquez Rocks seems so urban now!

No ****. There was nothing there, except a little store at the
crossroads between 14 and 395 (I think) where we stocked up on cookies
for the rest of the trip. I-15 north of I-10 used to be nothing but
rocks and grapevines until you hit the truck stop above Cajon Pass.

A lot of the vines are still there, but I've only driven through there
in winter and have no idea whether they're still alive or not. The
google maps street view (January 2011) shows grass/weeds on the ground
and leafless vines; the overhead view (June 2012) shows bare dirt
ground with regularly spaced dark vines. Some are larger than others,
and greener. Maybe some of them are still alive.

Now there are these clusters of micro-mansions everywhere. I used to
love driving through the Chatsworth rocks, now they're infested. I can
fully understand why people want to live in places like that, but the
houses destroy the 'place' except for the kids who will love climbing
around in the rocks -- unless they're all fenced off for safety reasons.
Every kid should own at least ONE pair of bolt cutters just to
maintain his sanity.

Anybody else remember Corriganville, even if dimly?

--
Cheers, Bev

Old September 26th 13, 11:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Thursday, September 26, 2013 9:48:41 AM UTC-6, The Real Bev wrote:

I went to High School in Chatsworth!

The Lone Tree Club Murren ?? Jerseybean European Ski Resorts 0 September 17th 06 08:50 PM
ironing pine tar Tim Dudley Nordic Skiing 4 January 23rd 04 02:40 AM
Pine Tar for KDSorenson Nordic Skiing 1 January 4th 04 12:59 PM
rental just minutes fron balsams and sunday river [email protected] Snowboarding 0 September 10th 03 03:55 AM
ski rental just minutes from balsams and sunday river [email protected] Marketplace 0 September 10th 03 03:52 AM