Is Jacques Rogge a racist?

Old February 27th 10, 03:41 AM posted to rec.sport.olympics,rec.skiing.nordic,rec.running
NB

Default Is Jacques Rogge a racist?

Remember how Rogge complained at the Beijing Games about how Usain
Bolt celebrated in the 100M before he crossed the finish line? Well I
have seen several cross-country skiers during these games celebrate
before they crossed the finish line. If you don't believe me, here's
one report of it in the media:

"Entering the ski stadium at Whistler with a massive lead, she had
enough time to veer to the side to pick up a Norwegian flag and then
ski down the final straight using just one pole."

Wow, she actually went over to the crowd to pick up a flag, BEFORE she
crossed the finish line? OUTRAGEOUS! But then why haven't we heard
anything from Jacques Rogge?

Hmm, I did notice that none of the cross-country skiers were black...
Old February 27th 10, 06:16 AM posted to rec.sport.olympics,rec.skiing.nordic,rec.running

While I wouldn't be surprised if Rogge is a racist, I think your
comparison needs better evidence to make it stick. Bolt's celebration
at Beijing was slapping his own chest before the finish line. Rogge
called Bolt's action disrespectful. And it was, whether Bolt intended it
or was just being exuberantly insensitive. But so what? To me, it
falls in the same category as the Canadian women's hockey team popping
champagne in the arena 30 minutes after the awards were over, or Scotty
Lago getting caught on camera in some risque poses. The IOC's
leadership has long embodied social-political conservativism. For
example, former IOC president Samaranch was a supporter of the
(clerical-fascist) Franco regime in Spain and American Avery Brundage
took the medals away from Tommy Smith and John Carlos for the black
power salute. Plus, the IOC doesn't want to see any behavior that
might upset the commercial coporate applecart that they've come to
depend on financially. In the case of Bjoergen (and others) grabbing a
flag before the finish line, the Olympics is all about feeding off of
and building patriotism. She was merely exemplifying the true "Olympic
spirit."

Gene

Old February 27th 10, 10:14 AM posted to rec.sport.olympics,rec.skiing.nordic,rec.running
Arnold

Remember how Rogge complained at the Beijing Games about how Usain
Bolt celebrated in the 100M before he crossed the finish line? Well I
have seen several cross-country skiers during these games celebrate
before they crossed the finish line. If you don't believe me, here's
one report of it in the media:

"Entering the ski stadium at Whistler with a massive lead, she had
enough time to veer to the side to pick up a Norwegian flag and then
ski down the final straight using just one pole."

Wow, she actually went over to the crowd to pick up a flag, BEFORE she
crossed the finish line? OUTRAGEOUS! But then why haven't we heard
anything from Jacques Rogge?

Hmm, I did notice that none of the cross-country skiers were black...

Just wondering, what is racist about it?

Arnold

Old February 27th 10, 01:08 PM posted to rec.sport.olympics,rec.skiing.nordic,rec.running
John Hurley

On Feb 26, 11:41*pm, NB wrote:

snip

Remember how Rogge complained at the Beijing Games about how Usain
Bolt celebrated in the 100M before he crossed the finish line? *Well I
have seen several cross-country skiers during these games celebrate
before they crossed the finish line. *If you don't believe me, here's
one report of it in the media:

Who exactly is Jacques Rogge? Not familiar with that name at all ...
Old February 27th 10, 02:39 PM posted to rec.sport.olympics,rec.skiing.nordic,rec.running
rec.skiing.nordic

Who exactly is Jacques Rogge? *Not familiar with that name at all ...

He is the president of the IOC and not someone I would care to invite
to a party.
I'm being polite and very PC here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques_Rogge

Old February 27th 10, 03:15 PM posted to rec.sport.olympics,rec.skiing.nordic,rec.running
dardruba[_2_]

He is the president of the IOC and not someone I would care to invite
to a party.
I'm being polite and very PC here.

If only people would stop this foolish cross posting there would
be no need to explain.

Old February 27th 10, 07:55 PM posted to rec.sport.olympics,rec.skiing.nordic,rec.running
NB

On Feb 27, 2:16*am, wrote:
While I wouldn't be surprised if Rogge is a racist, I think your
comparison needs better evidence to make it stick. Bolt's celebration
at Beijing was slapping his own chest before the finish line. Rogge
called Bolt's action disrespectful. And it was, whether Bolt intended it
or was just being exuberantly insensitive.

I don't think slapping his chest was a big deal. That situation was
all a joke anyway. I guess Rogge wanted to create a controversy to
draw attention away from the fact that China had broke all the
promises that they made to get the games. Now those broken promises
from China - that was definitely disrespectful, and Rogge was too much
of a coward to say anything about it.

*But so what? *To me, it falls in the same category as the Canadian women's hockey team popping
champagne in the arena 30 minutes after the awards were over,

That celebration by the Canadian women's hockey team was way worse
than any premature celebration by the cross country skiers or Usain
Bolt. And Jacques Rogge couldn't be bothered to strongly denounce
it? Instead he had one of his subordinates issue a weak statement
about how they would "investigate" the incident. What is there to
investigate? It happened out on the ice for everyone to see. I
noticed that none of the players on the Canadian women's hockey team
are black, hmm......

or Scotty Lago getting caught on camera in some risque poses.

As far as I know the IOC never commented on that. It was the US team
that pressured him to go home.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...10/02/25/AR201...

Old February 27th 10, 07:56 PM posted to rec.sport.olympics,rec.skiing.nordic,rec.running
NB

On Feb 27, 6:14*am, "Arnold" wrote:
Remember how Rogge complained at the Beijing Games about how Usain
Bolt celebrated in the 100M before he crossed the finish line? *Well I
have seen several cross-country skiers during these games celebrate
before they crossed the finish line. *If you don't believe me, here's
one report of it in the media:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...10/02/25/AR201...

"Entering the ski stadium at Whistler with a massive lead, she had
enough time to veer to the side to pick up a Norwegian flag and then
ski down the final straight using just one pole."

Wow, she actually went over to the crowd to pick up a flag, BEFORE she
crossed the finish line? *OUTRAGEOUS! *But then why haven't we heard
anything from Jacques Rogge?

Hmm, I did notice that none of the cross-country skiers were black...

Just wondering, what is racist about it?

Usain Bolt is black, if you didn't know.
Old February 27th 10, 07:59 PM posted to rec.sport.olympics,rec.skiing.nordic,rec.running
NB

wrote:

Remember how Rogge complained at the Beijing Games about how Usain
Bolt celebrated in the 100M before he crossed the finish line? *Well I
have seen several cross-country skiers during these games celebrate
before they crossed the finish line. *If you don't believe me, here's
one report of it in the media:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...10/02/25/AR201...

"Entering the ski stadium at Whistler with a massive lead, she had
enough time to veer to the side to pick up a Norwegian flag and then
ski down the final straight using just one pole."

Wow, she actually went over to the crowd to pick up a flag, BEFORE she
crossed the finish line? *OUTRAGEOUS! *But then why haven't we heard
anything from Jacques Rogge?

Hmm, I did notice that none of the cross-country skiers were black...

There's a world of difference between the 100M race that's ten seconds
long and a cross country ski race.

Trying to twist this into an *accusation of racism is really
stretching.

But the point is that both the cross-country skiing medalists and
Usain Bolt had built such huge leads in their respective events that
they could start to celebrate without worrying that they might lose if
they did.
Old February 27th 10, 11:28 PM
Jan Gerrit Klok Jan Gerrit Klok is offline
Member

Location: Netherlands
Send a message via MSN to Jan Gerrit Klok Send a message via Yahoo to Jan Gerrit Klok

He wouldn't be the first old grey to combine racism with sexism. He's one for two for sure. Read his degrading comments towards women and their persuit of Olympic status. He lost his invite to my party there. Don't care much if he's also racist, he's a lost soul in my book already.
Odd how such behaviour is universally encouraged in genereal with swift re-election and global applause to his address. What did he do so well then?