Transfer Geneva - Morgins (Portes du Soleil)

Old January 5th 05, 10:44 AM
Sean O.

Default Transfer Geneva - Morgins (Portes du Soleil)

Hi All,

I'm heading off to Morgins in a week and a bit (Woo-hoo! ), to join some
friends. I'm travelling alone and I'm on a bit of a budget, so I don't
want to splash out on a taxi.

I'm travelling on a Monday, which seems to limit my options a little bit.
Haven't found any buses etc., on line, and it seems that the train might be
my best option.

(International train - Aigle, local train - Troistorrents, bus - Morgins)

So, my questions a
Is this going to be the best way to get there? Will the train be a struggle
with an enormous board bag and a suitcase? Should I book in advance?

Trains out to Aigle seem to be a lot more frequent than the local trains on
to Troistorrents. If I have a bit of time to kill waiting for a
connection, would I be better off doing that in Aigle or Geneva?

Oh, and how is "Aigle" pronounced - is it something like "egg"?

Any helpful advice gratefully accepted.

Sean.
Old January 5th 05, 11:25 AM
Sarah Eggleston

Sean O. wrote:
Hi All,

I'm heading off to Morgins in a week and a bit (Woo-hoo! ), to join some
friends. I'm travelling alone and I'm on a bit of a budget, so I don't
want to splash out on a taxi.

I'm travelling on a Monday, which seems to limit my options a little bit.
Haven't found any buses etc., on line, and it seems that the train might be
my best option.

(International train - Aigle, local train - Troistorrents, bus - Morgins)

So, my questions a
Is this going to be the best way to get there?

I think you've answered your own question!

Will the train be a struggle
with an enormous board bag and a suitcase? Should I book in advance?

Swiss trains and buses usually have low doorways and reasonable luggage
space, and typically the connections work well. Basically you should be
fine except that you're unlikely to find any porters so will have to lug
stuff yourself. You can find out from the timetable details like
platform changes involved and how long you have to make the change.
http://www.sbb.ch/en/

Also you might want to investigate the luggage transfer service
(although unfortunately I didn't see Morgins or Aigle listed):
http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/reisemarkt/...il-baggage.htm

For some intercities it can be mandatory to book (this will also be
listed in the timetable), otherwise it's not necessary. You might find
it's cheaper to get one of the various tourist deals listed he
http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/reiselust/int-gaeste/sts.htm

Trains out to Aigle seem to be a lot more frequent than the local trains on
to Troistorrents. If I have a bit of time to kill waiting for a
connection, would I be better off doing that in Aigle or Geneva?

Geneva Airport station probably has the edge over Aigle for shorter
waits - it's got some bits and pieces of shopping and an ok pizzeria.

If you've got a couple of hours you could head into Geneva city and do a
spot of sightseeing. The rue du Mont Blanc has views of a certain
geographic entity that you might have heard of (in the right weather)
and will take you from the station to the quayside. You can walk
(quicker) or take a boat-taxi across the lake to the main shopping areas
and old town. Geneva is small enough to be mainly walkable (and there
are buses and trams too) but if possible dump your luggage (I think
there are lockers in the station).

Oh, and how is "Aigle" pronounced - is it something like "egg"?

Something like, yes. Try "eggleuh" with the accent on the first syllable.

-Sarah
Old January 5th 05, 05:16 PM
Sean O.

Sarah Eggleston wrote:

Swiss trains and buses usually have low doorways and reasonable luggage
space, and typically the connections work well. Basically you should be
fine except that you're unlikely to find any porters so will have to lug
stuff yourself.

Cool. I've no problem lugging the stuff about, as long as there's a
reasonable chance of somewhere to put it.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/

I'm very impressed by this website, it makes Network Rail look very sad
indeed. (Probably because it is very sad indeed, but you know what I
mean.)

Also you might want to investigate the luggage transfer service

Doesn't seem to cover my trip. I'd rather collect my own bags at the
airport anyway, maybe its paranoia, but its only when I get my bags off the
carousel that I have any confidence they're in the same country I am.

If you've got a couple of hours you could head into Geneva city and do a
spot of sightseeing. The rue du Mont Blanc has views of a certain
geographic entity that you might have heard of (in the right weather)

Oh, what's that then? ;o)

Geneva is small enough to be mainly walkable (and there
are buses and trams too) but if possible dump your luggage (I think
there are lockers in the station).

If I can find somewhere to dump my bags, or a locker big enough for a couple
of snowboards, I'll take a wander around. Otherwise I'd probably better
stay put - I'm a big daft lad, and my board bag has something of the Laurel
and Hardy plank routine about it, I wouldn't want to venture into the city
with it for fear of knocking people over. ("Whoa, sorry dude!")

I'm really starting to warm to the idea of using the train instead of being
crammed onto a bus in a package holiday stylee. I find scenery somehow all
the more scenic for being viewed from a train window rather than a bus, I
don't know quite why, and it looks like the train goes through some fairly
spectacular countryside en route.

Thanks very much for taking the time to post, most helpful.

Sean.

Old January 6th 05, 03:35 PM
Greg Hilton

"Sean O." wrote in
:

Hi All,

I'm heading off to Morgins in a week and a bit (Woo-hoo! ), to join
some friends. I'm travelling alone and I'm on a bit of a budget, so I
don't want to splash out on a taxi.

try these guys:

http://www.a-t-s.net/index.php

regards,

greg

Old January 6th 05, 11:48 PM
Sean O.

Greg Hilton wrote:

try these guys:
http://www.a-t-s.net/index.php

That was one of the links that turned up when i Googled. They don't seem to
run a shuttle service on a Monday, and while they don't list Morgins on
their website, a private transfer to Chatel comes out at 282 Euro, bit
steep for me. (Unless there are 3 people reading this who'd like to share?
Nah, didn't think so..

Thanks anyway Greg, but it still looks like a train journey. (Actually, I'm
starting to feel quite enthusiastic about that.)

Sean.