Ski and Binding mounting update

Old March 3rd 10, 10:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Meg

Default Ski and Binding mounting update

I thought I would post a quick update to my post of last week asking
for the position to mount bindings. What I ended up doing was going
in an entirely different direction. I returned the skis, and got a
pair of NIS skis - the Alpine Control Skis, with the NIS bindings, and
I got them today, and was able to just slide them in and snap them
into place. I decided I was more comfortable with the bindings that
were adjustable if needed than even the company putting them on, since
I don't really have anyone here to put them on (that's not very
expensive) and this way I can adjust them if necessary as I learn more
abou this. Right now I have them in the default position where it
snapped into place first - I believe with the pin over the ski balance
point as was suggested in the previous post. I also figured I'd get
them faster this way and then maybe there was a slight chance we'd get
snow again. It's snowed as late as Easter here sometimes.

I have read that sometimes women's ski bindings would be mounted a bit
forward - and I wondered what the benefits are of that (if there are
any) I figure I can start out in the central position and see how
things go.

Now I just have to hope for snow - or will try them out next year, but
at least I've not wrecked a pair of skis by mounting them
incorrectly. The company was very good and took everything back and
sent me the new set and paid for the shipping, since they had made a
mistake in the first place.

Meg
Old March 4th 10, 12:19 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Oh, I just answered your other post, assuming you still needed help.
Start with the balance point. The skis, your beginning technique and
where you are skiing probably don't demand more. If you had some
experience and racing skis, I'd suggest experimenting (which you can
still do). It's not uncommon for the the best results to be behind the
balance point, even with Salomon bindings. This is contrary to standard
practice, but is what people who actually look at a ski's flex on a
bench and experiment on snow find. With the NIS, a click or possibly
even two back may work best. However, in my couple of weeks
experimenting with a pair, the best setting seemed to depend a lot on
snow conditions. That on-the-fly adjustability is NIS's main attaction.

Gene

Old March 4th 10, 03:13 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Meg

Sorry for the confusion - in heading towards Chicago, I was thinking
in a search for snow so I could still try these out this winter. I do
appreciate all your advice.