Schweitzer closed?!

Old March 9th 05, 07:37 PM
TexasSkiNut

Default Schweitzer closed?!

Wow, talk about your bad snow years. Schweitzer's already closed for
the season. Compare that with when I went there in 1999 in March and
we had so much snow we were able to ski from the second story balcony
of our condo directly onto the access run to the village.

http://uploads.savefile.com/users/uploads/condo.jpg

Old March 9th 05, 08:22 PM
Dave Stallard

TexasSkiNut wrote:
Wow, talk about your bad snow years. Schweitzer's already closed for
the season.

Tony Crocker's site most recent (Feb 27th) report listed them as being
only 20% open. RSN lists them as having had only 5" of snow for all of
February.

Dave
Old March 9th 05, 11:04 PM
Sam Seiber

Dave Stallard wrote:

TexasSkiNut wrote:
Wow, talk about your bad snow years. Schweitzer's already closed for
the season.

Tony Crocker's site most recent (Feb 27th) report listed them as being
only 20% open. RSN lists them as having had only 5" of snow for all of
February.

Dave

Damn, this is sad.....

Sam "Far from ready for it to end" Seiber
Old March 9th 05, 11:30 PM
Mary Malmros

I love the line from their website:

"95/96 Season Passes: Take Your Time To Buy"

I would, too.

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old March 10th 05, 05:59 AM
That guy from the place .... you know.

On 9 Mar 2005 12:37:40 -0800, "TexasSkiNut"
wrote:

Wow, talk about your bad snow years. Schweitzer's already closed for
the season. Compare that with when I went there in 1999 in March and
we had so much snow we were able to ski from the second story balcony
of our condo directly onto the access run to the village.

Mt Washington on Vancouver Island has been closed for about 6 weeks
now. Last winter when we were there we were throughout December and
January, there were regular falls of 30-40cm daily and a couple of
80cm days too. How times have changed.

Peter
Old March 10th 05, 12:34 PM
Tom

In the best of years, what's a summer season at Mt. Hood like? Worth a
visit or only if you happen to be in the neighborhood?

Old March 10th 05, 12:59 PM
Mary Malmros

Tom wrote:

In the best of years, what's a summer season at Mt. Hood like? Worth a
visit or only if you happen to be in the neighborhood?

I know people who go there for summer race camps. From what they've
said, basically the skiing is over by noon, but that might only be true
if you're trying to do race training. Also, the morning runs sometimes
require some hiking. People who are into racing go there because that's
where the training happens, in the continental US, not because it's
fabulous snow.

Old March 10th 05, 02:44 PM
TexasSkiNut

Phlubarb wrote:
TexasSkiNut wrote:
Wow, talk about your bad snow years. Schweitzer's already
closed for the season. Compare that with when I went there
in 1999 in March and we had so much snow we were able to ski
from the second story balcony of our condo directly onto the
access run to the village.

http://uploads.savefile.com/users/uploads/condo.jpg

The Pacific Northwest has been a disaster this year.
The summer season at Mt. Hood is toast.

The OnTheSnow snow report website says Mt. Baker is the only resort
still open in Washington, and that's with a 30-40 inch base.
Unbelieveable.
http://www.onthesnow.com/WA/skireport.html

Old March 10th 05, 04:41 PM
downhill

Tom wrote:

In the best of years, what's a summer season at Mt. Hood like? Worth a
visit or only if you happen to be in the neighborhood?

The lift shuts at 1pm, that services the snowfield. By noon the snow is
starting to turn to slush. They firm up the lanes first time in morning
by salting them, they put down about 1000 pounds a day, every afternoon
a pallet with bags of salt get sent up the mountain. Hikers with ski's
can access higher up and are not limited by lift operation times. People
going off the snowfield are required to sign in at base and should
understand the risks that rescue might not be possible and recovery will
be paid by your heirs.
I am planning to return this summer, the snow field terrain is not
challenging or really interesting. Picture an snowfield with 20 or 25
degree angle divided into lanes. There is one public lane the rest are
assigned to ski schools.
This was a image I took in July of last year
http://www.penguinponds.com/snow/mt_hood_field.jpg

This was sent to mary's post but my ISP did not show it

Old March 10th 05, 05:07 PM
Dave Stallard

downhill wrote:

I am planning to return this summer, the snow field terrain is not
challenging or really interesting. Picture an snowfield with 20 or 25
degree angle divided into lanes. There is one public lane the rest are
assigned to ski schools.
This was a image I took in July of last year
http://www.penguinponds.com/snow/mt_hood_field.jpg

Jesus. If people are that desparate, why not just fly to Chile?

Dave