Body Transformations

Old November 8th 04, 06:43 PM
Jon F

Default Body Transformations

I'm a recreational skier who skis a few races each year (Birkie wave
1-2). I am noticing some body changes I can't explain, so I'd like
some help to figure it out. In the last 2 months I've lost 12lbs (197
to 185). Most of what I've lost is fat, but I'm starting to notice
some loss of muscle mass too, both in my legs and arms. The fat is
fine to go, and I probably have too much muscle mass (especially in my
legs), so I think loosing a little of both is fine. In any case, 197
lbs is too much weight to carry up those hills in the Birkie.

My training this summer/fall is going well, I am slowly increasing the
number of interval/intensity workouts and decreasing the number of
long/slow workouts. One disturbing trend is that my rollerskiing
workouts during this weight-loss cycle are getting slower and my
average heart rate during them is getting higher. I don't seem to
have much energy for them.

My hope is that my body is tuning itself for endurance, whereas it has
been tuned for strength/speed, and that the lack of energy is a
short-term effect of the weight loss. But I don't know enough about
exercise physiology to know for certain what is happening.

I'm not sure if I'm on my way to a stellar XC ski season, or on my way
to a crash and burn. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jon
Old November 8th 04, 07:26 PM
Rob Bradlee

See a doctor right away.
I assume that you haven't been on a strick diet, right?

Rob B.

--- Jon F wrote:

[...]

=====
Rob Bradlee
Java, C++, Perl, XML, OOAD, Linux, and Unix Training

Old November 8th 04, 08:02 PM
Marsh Jones

Rob Bradlee wrote:
See a doctor right away.
I assume that you haven't been on a strick diet, right?

Rob B.

--- Jon F wrote:

Ditto Rob's advice. At a minimum, you are showing signs of overtraining
and without medical evaluation, possibly significantly worse. SEE A
DOCTOR NOW!!!

Marsh

Old November 8th 04, 09:46 PM
BeeCharmer

You don't mention how old you are. The symptoms you mention sound
like classic overtraining: are you scheduling enough rest in your
training? Also with periodization training, you need to schedule an
low volume week to let your body rest and consolidate fitness. Young
guns can go much longer between these low volume weeks than older
athletes. It also gets a little dicey when you start doing more
intensity in the workouts. Everyone is different, but I can do 3
breakthrough workouts (read high intensity) per week. I also need a
complete rest day once a week and a low volume week once a month. I'm
40 and a wave 3 skier; your mileage will vary!

chris
ne iowa
Old November 9th 04, 12:27 PM
Sly D. Skeez

Marsh Jones wrote in message news:B9Rjd.73028$R05.27386@attbi_s53...
Rob Bradlee wrote:
See a doctor right away.
I assume that you haven't been on a strick diet, right?

Actually, the loss of weight sounds like he's on a diet, and since
it's popular, the Atkins diet. When you drop fat, I believe about
1/4th of the weight loss is usually muscle...even on Atkins.

If you're at a calorie deficit, it's very difficult to do intensity
workouts, and I've found it's even difficult to do mid-level workouts.
If you are dieting and worried about not having energy, eat a solid
evening meal and breakfast, and then go do a workout. I bet you'll
bounce back pretty quick. Also, if you're trying to do a diet and
training, you may need to up your carbos to get a good balance.

Jay Wenner
Old November 9th 04, 03:19 PM
Jon F

Sorry I didn't share more details. I'm 38, been training since I was
15. I have a more-or-less balanced, low junk food, high carbo diet.
My appetite has been suppressed lately because of non-training related
stress, so I have been eating a lot less office junk food (this
accounts for most or all of the weight loss).

I've been guilty of overtraining before, so I already suspected that.
But I'm not convinced I need to see a doctor... yet. I feel good, my
interval workouts have been consistently good. My rollerski this
morning (after 2 days rest) was normal, I had lots of energy and my
average heart rate was right where I expected it to be. I also took a
look at my training log, and realized that my poor rollerski workouts
were always a day after an interval workout. In retrospect, I
probably should have taken those days off.

Thanks for the input. I'll take it easy for a week and reevaluate.
Jon

Old November 9th 04, 04:03 PM
Steve McGregor

Well, looks like it's a rare occassion, a seeming concensus. Not a
lot of info from your post, but take the "symptoms" you describe... 1)
substantial weightloss 2) increased training intensity (and possibly
volume?) 3) decreased performance. I'm pretty sure that you would
find these listed in most training books as indicators of overstrain,
if not overtraining. As noted by the other contributors though, there
could be an underlying condition that could only be identified by
medical exam. So, go get checked out by a doc, then let us know what
you find out.

Steve