How about a good pack?

Old December 4th 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
mdR

Default How about a good pack?

Any suggestions on the latest and greatest packs? Not ~too expensive
but functional. ah.. smallish..., carry some lunch, hydration, maybe
pack skis backcountry once in awhile, misc gear for the day.

Lot's to pick from out there. Searches come back with nothing later
than '05.

tia
-mark

Old December 4th 06, 04:51 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Yabahoobs

I've been looking for a good pack too...

Seems like no packs have shovel pockets anymore...It's wierd.

Old December 4th 06, 12:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
mdR

snip
Check out Osprey's Switch packs.
http://www.ospreypacks.com/packs/72/Switch16/
http://www.ospreypacks.com/packs/71/Switch26/
http://www.ospreypacks.com/packs/70/Switch36/

Really well thought out, designed, and made. They carry great when
loaded. The 16 would work well for the OP's inbounds skiing, and I like
the 26 for bc day touring. They all have interior storage for shovels,
probes, and skins which is more secure than having the shovel on the
outside - in case you take a ride. I have no affiliation, but I really
like Osprey's ski packs because of their features and construction.
Bob
snip

yeah, I was looking at the Osprey's... they look about as unobtrusive
as any of them with features to carry everything you need. thanks

Old December 4th 06, 12:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
mdR

AstroPax wrote:
On 3 Dec 2006 20:51:26 -0800, "Yabahoobs"
wrote:

I've been looking for a good pack too...

Seems like no packs have shovel pockets anymore...It's wierd.

I use a Dakine Chute pack. I really like the diaginaol ski carry, and
it has a shovel pocket.

Not sure if they still make the Chute model.

If I were to buy a new one, this looks good:

http://www.backcountry.com/store/DAK...660-cu-in.html

-Astro

hmm... like this one too. Don't know about carrying skis diagonal
though, never done that. Don't they twist around?

Old December 4th 06, 12:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Yabahoobs wrote:
I've been looking for a good pack too...

Seems like no packs have shovel pockets anymore...It's wierd.

So last year I was looking on ebay for a "Vertex" two-
way radio. The search came up with, in addition to a
few radios, Dakine Vertex backpack, new in wrapping.

The bid on it was $25 and there were about 5 days left.
I stuck a bid of $30 on it expecting nothing. At the
end of the time, I had a new pack.

This DOES have a shovel pocket, plus slots for shovel
handle and probe as well as other required pockets and
loops for skis. All in all a pretty good pack for the
price I paid. Oh yeah, it is hydration compatible.

Old December 4th 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
snoig

I'll second the Dakine, I have the Hele Pro and it's the best pack I've
ever had. The only problem was the shovel pocket didn't fit my old
huge Black Diamond shovel but it fits a Dakine shovel perfectly. No
problem though because I have a second pack with the old shovel that I
give to friends when they go with me. And wouldn't you really rather
have your friend with the big shovel?

Anyway, the Hele Pro can carry skis or snowboard in the veritcal or
horizontal position. You could probably also do skis in the diagnoal
position but I've never tried that. It has a built in pocket for a
hydration system with clips and holes in the pack to route the tube.
And the best part was I got it on sale for $35. Don't know if they
make it any more but it seems like all of Dakines' stuff is really
designed well.

snoig

Old December 4th 06, 05:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
snoig

Yep, they still make it:
http://www.backcountry.com/store/DAK...200-cu-in.html

Guess the decision is, do you want the big 1000 cu in model or the
smaller 600 cu in model. I say it's nice to have the extra room.
Either way, go for the Dakine shovel also since it's a perfect fit.

snoig

Old December 4th 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Kurt Knisely

"mdR" wrote in news:1165236504.920497.182030
@j72g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

snip
Check out Osprey's Switch packs.
http://www.ospreypacks.com/packs/72/Switch16/
http://www.ospreypacks.com/packs/71/Switch26/
http://www.ospreypacks.com/packs/70/Switch36/

Really well thought out, designed, and made. They carry great when
loaded. The 16 would work well for the OP's inbounds skiing, and I like
the 26 for bc day touring. They all have interior storage for shovels,
probes, and skins which is more secure than having the shovel on the
outside - in case you take a ride. I have no affiliation, but I really
like Osprey's ski packs because of their features and construction.
Bob
snip

yeah, I was looking at the Osprey's... they look about as unobtrusive
as any of them with features to carry everything you need. thanks

I have an Osprey Switch. They're heavy. I kinda prefer just regular old
simple rucksacks.

Where's Seth (a la snowdeath)?

-K
Old December 4th 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Kurt Knisely wrote:
[...]

Uhm, well yeah, but aren't you a pinnah too?

Where's Seth (a la snowdeath)?

-K

Old December 5th 06, 02:18 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Kurt Knisely

VtSkier wrote in
:

Kurt Knisely wrote:

I have an Osprey Switch. They're heavy. I kinda prefer just regular
old simple rucksacks.

Uhm, well yeah, but aren't you a pinnah too?

Acutally, my favorite light pack is an older Lifelink pack w/ a main
rucksack, a place for the shovel and a lid zipper for a few odds and ends.
Very light, padded belt, a couple ice axe loops (something I only use in
the Spring--unless the neighbors take me up to a top roped ice climb they
have up the road).

Where's Seth (a la snowdeath)?

He never finished the story???

-K