Need to test Video Clips

Old January 30th 06, 08:04 PM

Default Need to test Video Clips

Hi All...

Our cross-country ski club just posted a video clip on its website and I
would like to solicit the groups opinion on whether or not the file size
needs to be modified. The clip is approx 2 minutes in length and 10mb
in size. It is in Quicktime7 format using the high-definition H.264
codec. It is a video of one of our nationally ranked junior skiiers
demonstrating a proper technique for climbing a hill in classic style.
Please post your thoughts on the video regarding size etc here on the
group... It should be noted that the video was shot on a very cloudy day
and the temperature was hovering at about -1 celsius. I am intending to
post many more clips of this nature on the website in future... this
weekend we had a series of races which were all filmed and those clips
should be available in the next few days (a very sunny day, great video
quality, lots of action).

Thanks,
Glenn
Old January 30th 06, 08:38 PM

Sounds great. Please post a link or name the website so we can check it
out. Thanks.

Old January 30th 06, 11:01 PM

On 2006-01-30 14:04:31 -0700, Glenn Simmons said:

Hi All...

[...]

Duh... I forgot to post the link... it's

http://www.porcupineskirunners.com

The video is accesible direct from the homepage...

sorry for the delay...

Glenn
Old January 30th 06, 11:57 PM

Glenn,
The quality and length of the video is fine. I don't want to get
into a(nother) technique discussion, but while the skier has good
timing and plenty of potential, what's being demonstrated is not
"proper." What came to mind is something one sees at salsa classes
where women, having watched others on the dance floor from behind,
initially think that they are supposed to actively rotate their hips
(hip movement in dancing, and I think for the most part in skiing,
comes naturally from the inside of the legs). She's also similarly
swinging her shoulders from side to side (everything should go forward
down the track). I realize it might be a touchy issue at this point,
but for a good example consider a World Cup race, say at Vernon or
Canmore, and pull a segment of Becky Scott or others. See
ftp://mpeg-races.kicks-ass.org/ - public 1.

Gene

Old January 31st 06, 02:21 AM

Glenn Simmons wrote:
[...]

It didn't want to play for me with Firefox 1.5 and Quicktime plugin 6.5.1
gr
Old January 31st 06, 02:30 AM

In article ,
gr wrote:

Glenn Simmons wrote:
[...]

It worked for me with that setup (on a Mac).
Old January 31st 06, 03:18 AM

It didn't want to play for me with Firefox 1.5 and Quicktime plugin 6.5.1
gr

H.264 codec requires Quicktime 7. The OP might consider encoding with a
different codec compatible with QT 6 to make the page degrade
gracefully (http://webtips.dan.info/graceful.html).

For the original poster -- there's a lot that could be done to make
this file smaller without losing content. On a cable modem the vid
didn't come in quick enough to stream without delays, & it ended up
taking about as much time to download as to play. Some steps to try:
first of all the audio is encoded at 48.000 kHz stereo which is def.
overkill for essentially visual content. Second the data rate is 773
kb/s which is about twice what apple recommends for broadband content
(see http://www.apple.com/quicktime/tutorials/h264.html). You could
also reduce the frame rate per the same apple tutorial. Finally for
most of the video, at least half of the shot is taken up by the trees
on either side of the trail while the skier is only--using a tighter
zoom and/or moving along with the skier could increase the proportion
of the frame taken up by the skier & hence enable more compression
without losing detail.

my $.02

Old January 31st 06, 04:36 AM

.... and a file format recognizeable by smth else except for
Quicktime/MAC would be helpful. What's wrong with AVI?
Yes, I have quicktime, and it did not play in XP/IE6

Old January 31st 06, 02:59 PM

Can you supply a link to the video for us to critique it?

Randy

Old January 31st 06, 10:22 PM

I have winXP and I thought quicktime.
I got a message saying quicktime did not have enough software and they
were not available on the quicktime server
[as best i can remember... as soon as i clicked that went away]

but it tried to play. i had something at the bottom of the window and
the little button moving across the screen showing progress in the file.

and it took a LONG time to load but i only have a 768 dsl connect. good
thing i didn't try from sweden with my 43k dialup and then have it not
work :-(