Help with Fischer classic race ski ?

Old February 2nd 05, 07:44 PM
JP

Default Help with Fischer classic race ski ?

I have dilemma about the best choice of the Fischer ski for CLASSIC races.
I have 182 cm and 92 kg.
What would be best for me from this variants
with my prerequisite to have only ONE pair!
(something like "universal" ski):

1. RCS Classic 207cm COLD Stiff
2. RCS Classic 207cm COLD Medium

3. RCS Classic 207cm PLUS Stiff
4. RCS Classic 207cm PLUS Medium

Who is Fischer ski expert – could advice me?
Thanks you in advance for tips.
Old February 2nd 05, 08:02 PM
sknyski

I think Nathan Schultz (who posts here) used to ski for Fischer. May
still.

For a general ski, go with the plus base. My guess also would be to
pick a stiffer ski - a soft ski will drag in hard conditions, but with
a stiff ski in soft snow you can just slap more wax on (lengthen wax
pocket).

I don't know what 182cm/92kg translates to (i.e. I'm too lazy to figure
it out) but I think that you're not a small person, like me - I am 6'
195lbs and ski a 210/207 plus stiff.

bt

Old February 2nd 05, 08:59 PM
Gene Goldenfeld

182/92 = 5'11-1/2", 204 lbs. From your question, it sounds like you
might be someone new to this equipment and not yet dealing with a store
that specializes. A good ski shop will ask questions like how much and
what kind of skiing you do, what is your skill/experience level, and how
much you weigh. In fitting skis, the question is how the ski fits you,
not what the manufacturer labels it. That's usually determined by
putting the ski on a board or known flat surface and having you stand on
it a different ways to see how it flexes. It can also be done mail
order, but is somewhat riskier. Stiff and medium each cover wide weight
ranges and often sometimes skis are inappropriately labled. For
example, I have a near-perfect pair of Rossi's 208s that are labeled for
an 145-155 lbs, which I haven't weighed since high school. And I have
some older 210 Fischer RCS classics that are labeled medium, yet flex at
75% of my weight (that's very high). While your weight probably will
most likely point toward a stiff, at your height a 207 cm skimight be
overly long. Plus or Cold base depends on where you live. My
understanding is that for Fischer the two now have similar flex, so the
difference would primarily be the grind. That can be redone later and
probably would be if you race. Generally, tho, a Plus gives a wider
temperature range of usage and thus is a better all around choice for
most people.

Gene

Old February 2nd 05, 09:50 PM
Marsh Jones

Gene Goldenfeld wrote:
[...]

The big diff between plus and cold is the amount of carbon in the mix
IIRC.
I'm sortof in the same general range you are - about 179/90, and the
new-this-year RCS classics I got from FinnSisu flex are 207s, medium
flex, measured at 46.5. As Nathan and Gene point out, the number is a
starting place. What matters more how the whole pocket flexes, where
you live and how you ski - strong or moderate kick, good technique or
fair, etc.

Marsh