When does skiing tend to start in germany / austria?

Old October 13th 08, 03:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Roger Moss[_2_]

Default When does skiing tend to start in germany / austria?

"Excess" wrote in message

So I don't agree with you that reliabilty of early snow in Austria is
better then in France. It totally depends where you are going.
Today hintertux has 36 km opened with over 1 meter of fresh snow.
Tignes only has 4 or 5 lifts openend with 30 cm of snow.
Les deux Alpes isn't even open!- Hide quoted text -

Les Deux Alpes opens for October half-term for the Mondial du Ski
(www.mondialduski.com) and Mondial du Snowboard
(www.mondialdusnow.com) and then fully at the very end of November.
There is however a very good layer on the glacier already.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
XS
Peak Retreats http://www.peakretreats.co.uk
Ski Collection http://www.skicollection.co.uk

Slightly OT, but anyway... a surprising the number of people turn out for
this annual event, which is always timed well ahead of the season:
http://www.mountainpassions.com/pres..._ski_10-08.htm

Last year it was unbelieveably warm in the village, and even the glacier was
looking distinctly slushy, but it was certainly skiable and the young skiers
and boarders weren't deterred. Worth a visit if you're nearby, considering
buying new gear and want to try out the new season's ranges now.

RM

Old October 13th 08, 05:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

On 11 Oct, 09:59, Lars wrote:
Ian Blake schreef:

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 01:03:54 -0700 (PDT), Dave wrote:

Hi,

When does skiing tend to start at the german and austrian end of the
alps? *I have some work to do in Munich, and I may be able to delay
them a few weeks, possibly until november but probably not until
december. *Is there any chance I will be able to get some sliding in?

Thanks.

Obergurgl are opening 14th November according to their website. Resorts all have
an official opening date which you can usually find on their website.

It really depends on the weather. * If there is no snow resorts still open but
you can not ski. *If there is early snow many resorts will open some lifts early
(maybe just on the weekends) for the locals.

I can not comment upon the reliability of early snow in Austria beyond, "Better
than France".

For your information, French Glaciers were closed several weeks last few
weeks for skiing. Austria had glaciers opened.
I am doing seasonal openings for about 7 years now in Austria and there
was only one snowless opening in all of these years. And even then I
could ski pretty good (Ischgl).
So I don't agree with you that reliabilty of early snow in Austria is
better then in France. It totally depends where you are going.
Today hintertux has 36 km opened with over 1 meter of fresh snow.
Tignes only has 4 or 5 lifts openend with 30 cm of snow.
Les deux Alpes isn't even open!- Hide quoted text -

4 or 5 lifts is pretty much as good as it gets for Tignes outside of
the whole Espace Killy being open and gets you just over 20 Kms of
piste. I'd expect the snow depth to get better though, and there's a
possibility they'll open the run down to Val Claret before December if
the snow's good enough.

--
Matt Thomas - www.tignes-lavachet.co.uk