Why Is Austria Skiing Dirt Cheap For USA Right Now?

Old September 3rd 03, 09:37 AM
Jonathan Gogan

Default Why Is Austria Skiing Dirt Cheap For USA Right Now?

ACE change your outlook settings to prefix each line of quoted text with a
,

I appreciate your comfort with the older conventions (such as diallup)
One reason for top-posting is I use a threading reader on a BB link.
all news is quick-loaded so you can follow a conversation very easily
if people
1. reply right at the top
2 (pref) snip ALL other content.

Ace I feel, as you were the one saying we should _not_

use station for anywhere that was large enough to call a town, which
is not what I was saying at all.

I must have read you wrong. I thought you might have 'seen the light' (tm)
that differentiating between 'resort' (big area with lifts + accomodation)
and 'station' small area with lifts + little/no accomodation was useful.
Thanks for not being gatuitously rude.
--
Jonathan

Old September 3rd 03, 09:42 AM
Jonathan Gogan

MoonMan
I only bottom post, because if you don't you get shouted at. If people
snipped irrelevant text it would not be such a problem, but they don't and

get ****ed off by having to scroll down through reams of stuff I have read
before to find a 1 line silly comment at the bottom. if it was top posted
life would be much simpler!

Alex:
Only if you are not interested in the context.
I quite agree that there are too many people who don't snip properly,
but that is actually seen more in top posters than bottom.
If you are actually interested in the context, then top posting is
*much* harder to read, because you have to skip backwards and
forwards.

--
Alex
In a threaded newsreader it is actually very easy, in fat *simplest* to

--
my 2p worth.
Jonathan

Old September 3rd 03, 10:02 AM
Ace

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 10:42:25 +0100, "Jonathan Gogan"
wrote:

In a threaded newsreader it is actually very easy, in fat *simplest* to
maintain context
by snipping ALL prior tezt and inserting only the new post.
Context is maintained by the threading (as it is designed to be!).
The only advantage of editing the post (snip a bit, leave a bit etc.)
is if the threading context is lost, e.g. a google search 5 years later..

Two points:

1. Not everybody uses a 'threaded' newsreader - I like to make my
posts meaningful to all readers
2. In a long, multi-branching thread, it's helpful to leave in just
enough context to see who, when and what you are replying to.

--
Ace (bruce dot rogers at roche dot com)
Old September 3rd 03, 10:06 AM
Ace

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 10:37:52 +0100, "Jonathan Gogan"
wrote:

ACE change your outlook settings to prefix each line of quoted text with a
,

I appreciate your comfort with the older conventions (such as diallup)
One reason for top-posting is I use a threading reader on a BB link.
all news is quick-loaded so you can follow a conversation very easily
if people
1. reply right at the top
2 (pref) snip ALL other content.

Look, just don't do it, OK? Snipping, quoting with the prefis, and
replying after the text to which you're referring is _the_ way to
post.

Ace I feel, as you were the one saying we should _not_

use station for anywhere that was large enough to call a town, which
is not what I was saying at all.

Sorry, is that something you've added, or my text? Ah, by looking at
the previous post I can tell it's all mine, but it was not at all
clear.

I must have read you wrong. I thought you might have 'seen the light' (tm)
that differentiating between 'resort' (big area with lifts + accomodation)
and 'station' small area with lifts + little/no accomodation was useful.

No - I was merely implying that station could be (and is) universally
used, whereas 'resort' implied something more.

Thanks for not being gatuitously rude.

Oh, I could be (see uk.rec.motorcycles to see how we deal with
top-posters there) but I'm always a bit caustious on here, given my
sig ;-}

--
Ace (bruce dot rogers at roche dot com)
Old September 3rd 03, 12:21 PM
BrritSki

Ace wrote:

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 09:53:15 +0100, "Jonathan Gogan"
wrote:

"Ace" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 22:24:02 +0100, Sue wrote:

snip

To make it easier to read just your comments, you might like to change
your outlook settings to prefix each line of quoted text with a ,
like what most other folk do. Also you could try snipping unneeded
test in the post you're quoting.

You're wasting your time Ace, he's been doing this for years.

His wonderful "threading newsreader" is dear old Outlook Express, but I
guess he's not smart enough to use a real newsreader and check it
several times a day.

He top posts, doesn't snip as he even he says he should, doesn't
understand what a -- line does and doesn't prefix quoted lines with a .
The end result is that it's impossible to read his gems without looking
at the post he's replying to to see what wisdom he's added.

Which is just as well because most of what he writes is indeed drivel,
so he can stay in the kf with the rest of the ignorant trolls.

Old September 3rd 03, 01:04 PM
Ace

On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 13:21:13 +0100, BrritSki
wrote:

Ace wrote:

You're wasting your time Ace, he's been doing this for years.

Ahh, not come across him before. Normally worth a try - sometimes
top-posters have been persuaded.

snip

Which is just as well because most of what he writes is indeed drivel,
so he can stay in the kf with the rest of the ignorant trolls.

Yeah, I guess I might add him, although I normally only bother when
people start to get _really_ iritating and I can't resist a reply :-}

--
Ace (bruce dot rogers at roche dot com)
Old September 3rd 03, 08:41 PM
Alex Heney

wrote:

ACE change your outlook settings to prefix each line of quoted text with a
,

I appreciate your comfort with the older conventions (such as diallup)

That implies there are newer ones. There aren't.

One reason for top-posting is I use a threading reader on a BB link.

There is ONE, and only ONE reason for top posting, no matter how you
dress it up, and that is just sheer laziness.

all news is quick-loaded so you can follow a conversation very easily
if people
1. reply right at the top
2 (pref) snip ALL other content.

But hardly anybody reading usenet reads it that way. We almost all
have a threading reader. Many people have BB. But hardly anyone just
sits there waiting for new posts to come through.

And most people try to follow quite a few groups.

Those two factors mean that most people do need some context in many
of the messages they read in any session. And if you need context, it
should all (the context and the responses) be in normal reading order.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
UNIX is a computer virus with a user interface.

To reply by email, my address is aDOTjDOTheneyATbtinternetDOTcom
Old September 3rd 03, 08:51 PM
Alex Heney

wrote:

MoonMan
I only bottom post, because if you don't you get shouted at. If people
snipped irrelevant text it would not be such a problem, but they don't and

get ****ed off by having to scroll down through reams of stuff I have read
before to find a 1 line silly comment at the bottom. if it was top posted
life would be much simpler!

As I said before, it is only laziness on your part which prefers top
posting.

Alex:
Only if you are not interested in the context.
I quite agree that there are too many people who don't snip properly,
but that is actually seen more in top posters than bottom.
If you are actually interested in the context, then top posting is
*much* harder to read, because you have to skip backwards and
forwards.

--
Alex
In a threaded newsreader it is actually very easy, in fat *simplest* to
maintain context
by snipping ALL prior tezt and inserting only the new post.

RUBBISH.

Almost *all* newsreaders are threaded. Yours is not among the better
ones, but that is irrelevant.

By doing it your way, we would have to skip back and forth between
messages to understand what is going on, which is just ridiculous.

Among the hundreds of thousands of people posting to usenet, I doubt
if there are more than a few dozen (AT MOST) who would agree with you
here.

Context is maintained by the threading (as it is designed to be!).

If it were "designed to be" maintained by threading, then you would
find people would use it that way.

They don't because that quite simply does not work at all.

The only advantage of editing the post (snip a bit, leave a bit etc.)
is if the threading context is lost, e.g. a google search 5 years later..

Actually, that is the exact reverse of the truth, since google
searches usually return a large chunk of the thread as a single item.

Old September 4th 03, 07:06 AM
Ace

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 20:51:44 +0000 (UTC), Alex Heney
wrote:

Top-posting

Among the hundreds of thousands of people posting to usenet, I doubt
if there are more than a few dozen (AT MOST) who would agree with you
here.

Sadly, there are quite a lot more than that, mostly through simple
ignorance, however. But on uk.rec.motorcycles (one of the largest
froups in the world) we see quite a few arguning this point, mostly
just trolling, mind.

But your point is still entirley true - it's only a few awkward sods
and quite a lot of ''didn't know any better' newbies who prefer to
post that way.

--
Ace (bruce dot rogers at roche dot com)
Old September 4th 03, 09:56 AM
Ace

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 10:46:55 +0100, "Jonathan Gogan"
wrote:

Something indecipherable.

*plonk*
--