Engelberg conditions

Old December 6th 07, 01:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

Default Engelberg conditions

Prompted by Matts' post about Tignes I thought I'd share my
experiences in Engelberg over the last week or three. Skiing has been
great, with the whole of the Titlis/Trubsee/Jochpass area open last
Sunday. Prior to that, all but the JochPass lifts and pistes had been
open.

We skiied both of the last two Sundays and enjoyed some great
conditions. Last week there were even some pockets of powder in
places, although from blown, rather that fresh snow. Pistes were all
execellent, bar the last part of the run home, which was pretty worn
by Sunday towards the bottom (at 1000m). The previous weekend it had
been in great shape, though, although the higher runs were somewhat
icy out of the sun.

And now, a load more snow has fallen in the last few days, with very
high winds at times, so a few of the runs are closed today but should
all be open again for the weekend.

So a great start to the season, with a good metre or more of snow
above ~1500m and 30-40cm of fresh stuff so far this week. We'll be
down there again this weekend (just bought a flat there) and if
anyone's interested I can add more detail then.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old December 6th 07, 08:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
BrritSki

Ace wrote:
[...]

Tell me more about Engelkburg please ? - might be going there in a
couple of months...

TIA
Old December 6th 07, 09:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 20:44:33 +0000, BrritSki
wrote:

Ace wrote:

So a great start to the season, with a good metre or more of snow
above ~1500m and 30-40cm of fresh stuff so far this week. We'll be
down there again this weekend (just bought a flat there) and if
anyone's interested I can add more detail then.

Tell me more about Engelkburg please ? - might be going there in a
couple of months...

So what do you want to know? Plenty of facts on titlis.ch and
engelberg.ch, as well as the Good Ski & Snowboard Guide info on the
Ski Club site.

But presumably you want something more, so I'll tell you what we love
about it. Lots of steep slopes, accessing amazing amounts of off-piste
as well as plenty of steep reds & a couple of blacks (but really, many
of the reds are black in all but name). Year-round skiing stopped this
year, with receding glacier areas, but it's still amazingly snow-sure
for early and late season. There was quite a bit open even in the
second weekend of November, when we were there house-viewing. Our new
flat overlooks the main Titlis lift so we were able to watch everyone
going up to ski, but we weren't with them :-(

All the above is on the North-facing slopes of Titlis, whereas for
more cruisy stuff there's the Brunni area on the opposite side of the
valley. Not so large, with only three or four distinct pistes, but
also accesses some decent off-piste to end up way down the valley or
as the start of a ski-tour over to Andermatt.

The vibe of the place has changed in the last year or three, and is
now predominantly popular with the younger serious skiers and
boarders. It's one of the few places where I almost feel
under-equipped with my rucksack, probe, shovel, transceiver, etc. etc.
I don't wear the back protector and helmet, see?

The village has also changed considerably, and is continuing to do so.
A lot more in the way of hip&trendy bars/lounge bars have sprung up,
as well as an ever-increasing range of restaurants. But it still
retains a small-town, everyone knows everyone, feel to it.

I could go on, but a) I don't want to over-sell the place and b) I
have to go to bed - early start in the morning. Suffice it to say that
it's where we've chosen to buy - the fact that it's just an hour and a
quarter from the office, plus 30 minutes from our house, is, of
course, entirely significant :-))

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old December 7th 07, 10:13 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
BrritSki

Ace wrote:

snip exactly the sort of info I was looking for

The vibe of the place has changed in the last year or three, and is
now predominantly popular with the younger serious skiers and
boarders. It's one of the few places where I almost feel
under-equipped with my rucksack, probe, shovel, transceiver, etc. etc.
I don't wear the back protector and helmet, see?

You should, or do you have internal titanium back supports still ?

I could go on, but a) I don't want to over-sell the place and b) I
have to go to bed - early start in the morning. Suffice it to say that
it's where we've chosen to buy - the fact that it's just an hour and a
quarter from the office, plus 30 minutes from our house, is, of
course, entirely significant :-))

Nice, enjoy, and thanks for all the inside gen.
Old December 9th 07, 06:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
john elgy

Ace wrote:
[...]

How is the back doing this season?
Old December 9th 07, 07:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 10:13:12 +0000, BrritSki
wrote:

Ace wrote:

snip exactly the sort of info I was looking for

The vibe of the place has changed in the last year or three, and is
now predominantly popular with the younger serious skiers and
boarders. It's one of the few places where I almost feel
under-equipped with my rucksack, probe, shovel, transceiver, etc. etc.
I don't wear the back protector and helmet, see?

You should, or do you have internal titanium back supports still ?

Heh. No, the metalwork was all removed in July. Still struggling to
get properly fit, but each day's skiing seems to do me as much good as
several weeks of physio and exercises, so it's looking up. I've got
three weeks repping in Flaine starting next weekend[1], so I should be
fighting fit by the end of that.

I could go on, but a) I don't want to over-sell the place and b) I
have to go to bed - early start in the morning. Suffice it to say that
it's where we've chosen to buy - the fact that it's just an hour and a
quarter from the office, plus 30 minutes from our house, is, of
course, entirely significant :-))

Nice, enjoy, and thanks for all the inside gen.

No worries. Just got back from another couple of days - some great
powder skiing yesterday, today would have been even better after more
snow overnight, but by the time we got out (we had non-skiing guests,
who'd arrived with a magnum of champagne which set the scene for the
evening) the visibility had started to drop, with more heavy snow
falling. Managed one decent fresh-track run before it set in, but cut
it short soon after lunch.

Oh, and I realised I'd forgotten to mention the terrain park, which is
quite extensive and boasts, apparently, the largest half-pipe in
Switzerland. Not my thang, and I'd guess not yours either, but who
knows, eh?

[1] Bad planning or what? We just found the flat we wanted in October
and the owner needed to complete by Dec 1st, so it's all been a bit of
a rush job. Previous Ski Club commitments must, of course, take
precedence, but it'd have been lovely to spend xmas there.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old December 9th 07, 07:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 18:19:03 +0000, john elgy
wrote:

Ace wrote:

snip

How is the back doing this season?

See other post, thanks for asking.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old December 10th 07, 01:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Switters

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 19:17:31 GMT, Ace allegedly wrote:

Oh, and I realised I'd forgotten to mention the terrain park, which is
quite extensive and boasts, apparently, the largest half-pipe in
Switzerland.

Laax will be most upset.

http://www.vpas.org.uk/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow.
Donek Sasquatch 162, Prior Pow 181, Burton Canyon 162

Old December 10th 07, 07:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 13:10:50 +0000 (UTC), Switters
wrote:

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 19:17:31 GMT, Ace allegedly wrote:

Oh, and I realised I'd forgotten to mention the terrain park, which is
quite extensive and boasts, apparently, the largest half-pipe in
Switzerland.

Laax will be most upset.

What's most annoying is that I now can't find the web page from which
I gleaned that particular nugget. Personally, I couldn't care less
which was larger, but I'm sure I saw it written somewhere over the
weekend.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old December 10th 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

wrote:

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 19:17:31 GMT, Ace allegedly wrote:

Oh, and I realised I'd forgotten to mention the terrain park, which is
quite extensive and boasts, apparently, the largest half-pipe in
Switzerland.

Laax will be most upset.

What's most annoying is that I now can't find the web page from which
I gleaned that particular nugget. Personally, I couldn't care less
which was larger, but I'm sure I saw it written somewhere over the
weekend.

Bad form and all, but did you see my call for participants for an
Engelberg off-piste week over in ukrm?

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)