Black Mt Mayhem! --30k classic race report

Old March 7th 04, 07:10 PM
Jeff Potter

Default Black Mt Mayhem! --30k classic race report

Well, we had the one of last big races of the season for Michigan
yesterday. The inaugural Black Mt Classic 30k: New race, new course, new
challenge.

The event, which is located in the NE corner of the state, south of
Cheboygan, was hosted by local top racer Dennis Paul who worked his butt
off. It was snowy then warm and rainy then FROZEN. He had to get the DNR
state crew to do the right grooming and was worried they might not
respond, not having ever groomed a race before, or in such challenging
weather. It was a real nail biter! This is Denny's home turf and one of
the highest regarded classic trails---with rolling medium but
challenging hills. Well, the DNR pulled thru and groomed the course
exactly on the tactical time they'd agreed on in light of the weather:
all night long, just before the race. Denny told them to pull the tracks
on the steep downhills and corners, but he ended up getting something a
little different. They groomed most of the downhills smooth...and most
of the uphills as well. Both of these surfaces turned into ice-skating
rinks. Getting interesting? That was only the half of it. Whenever the
machine was laying down track, it threw up ICEBERGS everywhere, from
2"-12" in size, which froze into the trail everywhere but in the tracks,
and sometimes there as well. Getting out of the tracks was scary.
Staying in the tracks was tough. Quite often the tracks were what Mike
Seaman called "gutters"---just a half-cylinder shape. Oh yeah!

About 75 racers showed up. But over a dozen didn't start after they saw
the trail. ...The rest of the crazies were ready for anything.

I stayed the night with pals at the trailhead in the nice Chateau motel.
We got up early and tested wax. Purple klister was the ticket. After
testing and everyone else's ski prep we ran out of purple so I ended up
with Swix on one ski and Toko on the other. Cute. 45F the day before.
25F race morning temp.

The race was a rocket rollercoaster with danger everywhere.

Don Camp described it perfectly: It was like the old days. Mayhem
everywhere. A challenge to stay upright and on course. A technical
skier's delight, perhaps.

The start was wild, with all the icebergs. A certain Mike bobbled in
front of me, as usual. Then Bob Smith, a true mayhem kind of skier, did
a buttplant in a big iced-over, but not quite, water puddle just as we
entered the course from the start area (which was the road and parking
lot). Splash.

First big downhill saw guys tumbling like bowling pins. Dodging was
hilarious, due to the icebergs and disappearing, reappearing tracks. But
I kept my superspeed rolling. Then came a wild highspeed descent and
trail-split. I was going so fast on the big bend to the left that I
could not have taken the lefthand trail and just flew wide onto the
righthand trail. Thankfully I saw a little "Race this way" sign flash by
pointing the way I went. Half of the lead group, which was just ahead of
me, sadly, oh so sadly, went the wrong way. And oh so sadly this group
included one oh-so-observant high-tech skier whose name starts with
"Mike." : ) I yelled at them and they turned around. I was with
another guy and yelled, laughing "Let's go man! We got a gap!" ..."Uh, I
hope we're not the ones who are lost..." Sure enough finally we saw
another race sign and put the hammer down. Now that's a Backyard
advantage for ya! Paying attention to NAVIGATION pays off! Well, I guess
I just have to thank centrifugal force really. Except I did verify the
course direction. Hilarious.

After awhile we all regroup and Mike and I ski together some and for the
next half hour I was on the heels of the leaders. But Mike had better
grip for the hills and got away. Sheesh. It was a hellacious thing that
first half. The hills were quite big and slick and hard as a skating
rink.

Dell Todd reported coming over the CREST of a hill and being thrown on
his butt then sliding down the whole next downhill that way.

Our eager new NSR team racer wild guy, Ryan Robinson (NCAA track),
really had his hands full. Reports came in of him going down on a hill,
getting up then getting creamed time and time again before he could get
out of there.

I had grip in a track but on those slicks uphills I had NOTHING. I was
****ED. I went to herringbone and the dang edges had nothing to bite
into. I slid out a few times on the ups. I finally left the trail on one
hill and tried skiing on the natural crust alongside. Still sucked. Man,
I was SO READY for charging the hills. It woulda been REAL EASY to give
up on this course, I tell ya! But I got determined to not have a bad day
and to get some kick. I figured out that if I was real gentle and put
one ski in a tiny depression that part of the groomer left that I could
get a little purchase. Also the herringboners ahead of me started
leaving a little chewed up dust-slush in the center. I hate boning and
don't do it quick. The others looked far more comfy with it. But I
bombed every downhill on full mayhem mode. As usual, my old (backyard)
skis were VERY fast. There were two fast sweeping left downhills
followed by bigger drops. I survived the first crazy left sweep by
riding up on the righthand wall of ice. I slid out on the second and put
a knee down. I had two knee-downs that day. I didn't hear of anyone
skiing clean, but Don said he only had one knee-down. I worked on
breathing deep and low in diaphragm and trying to relax. There were
quite a few interesting obstacles along the way: a nice long jump on the
fastest downhill, several large skewering sticks embedded in the trail,
gentle pine boughs waisthigh over the tracks. Great fun! : )

I skied with two distinct diagonal styles. One long, low and deep with
lots of heel plant. Then I finally realized that to really handle the
steeper uphills I needed to do the new Pete style, more upright on balls
of feet. It was hard to breath deep that way but I got grip and kept
velocity up. After the big ridiculous first 10k of ice hills, nobody
passed me. I kept seeing a few people not too far ahead of me. ---One
was doing a nice V1 with a strider right on his tails.

I heard of a good half dozen racers who skated quite a bit. A few of
them told me about it. No one did any self-DQ and no DQs. I would not
have let someone V1 in front of me. I saw one herringboner getting some
glide but that didn't bug me. Seeing the V1 marks in the moderate
uphills bugged me.

The race was about a third DP with plenty of KDP. I did that at first
with textbook forward lean, but then I realized that if I stood up that
I could just keep popping it and glide better and really scoot along. I
did a very upright KDP and flew. It was kind of humorous. Like a scooter
more than a skier. But I did whatever it took to keep the breeze feeling
fast. I rotated between the two diag styles and could keep good mo going
with both of them. It warmed as the race went on and I gripped better
and the hills got more moderate. I really reeled in the two guys ahead
on one big long medium uphill. I do think my uphill diag is darn nice. I
just love doing it and would LOVE to get a chance to really do so
someday. This race was OK but the first half was just too insane. The
guys left me with their DP. Oh well!

I noticed that I didn't ski very well when I was with others. I'd tense
up and start slipping those ultra-tricky uphills. By myself I was going
better.

So, I had the good fortune to finish 8th overall and 3rd agegroup. What
fun! Jay T's sig-line is true indeed: several of our big dogs were
overseas at the World's. But this also made the race more like the old
days, with a smaller more "mortal" field. In the old days we also would
have 2 races each weekend day and so not all the dogs would be at every
race.

So I think that Backyard made a pretty nice REMATCH after all! Yet,
again, Mike beat me by a good bit and had a great race himself, with 6th
overall, 1:59. Winner was 1:52? Mike said he came in 2:20 ahead of me,
but the results said 4:00. I'll go by 2:20. : ) Anyway, I closed the
gap %-wise by a hefty chunk. I didn't blow up. I had a 180 ave HR: good
redline. We both moved up on the leaders, I think. The Backyard approach
of training in crappy conditions, with lots of ducking and weaving of
obstacles, came thru with flying colors in this event. A whole buncha
people who'd been whuppin me didn't do so this time. And I heard some
good noise made for "go backyard" and "go retro!" Some fast Germans
liked the outfit.

The winner used no-wax skis! Oh, and it was DENNY PAUL! How about that?
Run your first race and win it. Good job, Denny! It was one for the
books. : )

I did screw up with the eyewear: make sure your eyewear is suitable for
ski racing. The darn topframe of the shop-glasses I grabbed on the way
out of the house obscured my view so I had to crane my head up a bit the
whole time and this was killing me and starting a terrible snowball of
neck and upper shoulder stress. The coaches are right: keep your neck in
line with your upper spine, neutral and relaxed or you'll be hurting.
But due to the crazy eye-watering downhills, glasses were good to have
so I didn't toss em.

I had all my wax when I finished. I ironed in green klister binder. My
pal had scraped his skis of some bad Universal we'd tested. He'd had
green klister on under the Uni and just plastic scraped and put purple
on. I didn't see him do this. He lost all his wax promptly. He thought
he still had enough green on after a modest plastic scrape. Not.
Anything like purple klister worked. Anything else FAILED. Except for
waxless.

Crazy!

--

Jeff Potter
****

... offering Vordenberg's XC ski tales in "Momentum"! ...
... "The Recumbent Bicycle": the only book about these bikes! ...
... Rudloe's "Potluck": true-life story of workingclass smuggling! ...

... with radical novels coming up via LiteraryRevolution.com! ...
... music! ... articles! ... travel forums! ... WOW! 800-763-6923

Old March 7th 04, 07:34 PM
Jeff Potter

PS: After the race dinner and awards, Team NSR repaired to the newly-built
Casa Kaltz in Gaylord to celebrate with a season-finale potluck. Captain
Mike feted his loyal followers with a majestic bottle of top-shelf single
malt Scotch---making a perfect blending of "other interests" in with
skiing! A few of us polished off the whole thing. See? There are perks to
NSR membership! Our boss takes good care of us. Except that on the way up
north, another team boss plied us with other strong drink. Decisions,
decisions! Can't we just join all the teams?

PPS: Jeff K---I found out halfway thru the debauch that we were in your
neighborhood! Except there was no phone and all cells were on their
chargers. When they were ready to use we'd just killed the bottle and the
chili was getting cold and things looked a little less appealing for
inviting people over (with Mike hooting and hollering and practicing V2 on
the hardwood floor in his socks with VERY sloppy technique). Rats! We were
going to call you and invite you over, man. So close!

PPPS: I went for a walk today on snowless local trails in a nearby park and
looked for some wax that I'd lost while out grooming. Sure enough there it
was! My only VF40 And another, too---old Extra Blue. Cool! What luck! (I
remember losing the VF40 the day before Primoz was posting about it being
the superduper blue and being sad for losing it.)

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old March 8th 04, 01:17 AM
32 degrees

I have stress just reading that report. YIKES But, sounded like a
sadistic sort of fun?

Yes, I am about one mile away from where you were for your "after the race
party" Jeff. In fact, I was probably in the middle of a run ! I gave up on
skiing and started running already this spring... but will make a quick
return to it next weekend. I am off to the GREAT UP (eh) for my
grandfather's 90th birthday bash. It is over near Ironwood (actually
Bergland) and I will make an obligatory trip to ABR for a last ski bash of 2
hours of skating followed by 2 hours of classic... I cannot wait. ABR
rocks.

JK

.. .

Old March 8th 04, 01:19 AM

Brief replies to a couple of Jeff's essays:

Did the Fischer "50" at Hardwood yesterday, in conditions somewhat
similar to what he describes, except that the groomers did a really
heroic job of making it very skiable.

But first, note that the adult races had about 100 men to 25 women,
which is pretty reasonable, if my memory of other races in
S. Ontario recently is correct.

We'd had those tropical rains as well, and probably worse, in that
the temp was still about 5C (41F) at 11PM Friday night. On the
other hand, it was a skating race. The course is a figure 8 (pair
of loops), done once for the 25, twice for the longer event. It's
more like 2 X 23km if done as planned, but was shortened and called
a 20K/40K. They delayed the start an hour and went around the shorter
loop again with the groomer, as the temp had dropped below freezing.
That loop was great, the whole course was fast, and the only
difficulties on the longer loop were unavoidable (unless they had
delayed much longer, which no one wanted): some of those little
icebergs, but not frozen in; and a tendency for racing baskets
to submarine. I'd brought an inferior pair of poles with bigger
baskets, but made the mistake of only warming up on the shorter
loop. So the racing baskets caused me a few problems, such as my
only fall--forward into the snow on a steep uphill when a pole
plunged about 40cm in and wouldn't release. So there was lots
of diagonal skate (aka herringbone skate, an unfortunate terminology
I think!) after that. I discovered that blueberry bagels from
Tim Horton's are a mistake for me for raceday breakfast, but
that tummy trouble probably only cost me a few minutes, and you
have to try new things occasionally, better on a not-too-serious
race. The little icebergs and fast conditions made some of the
downhill turns more challenging than usual, so that faster step
turns had to be skids instead (put a ski down on top of one of
those icebergs and you might end up in the next county!)

Anyway, Hardwood deserve lots of credit for putting on a really
good race under difficult conditions. I hope it becomes an annual
event and highly recommend it.

I ended up 1st in my geriatric age class, but also last, since my
usual two nemeses, both Can. Masters medalists, couldn't make it
to this race. As Jay T. says, ......

But I also got a cool little wood imitation ski for outright winning
a ski race. Actually I won by a huge margin, not seconds, not minutes,
no, in fact I won by 3 years at least! It was the "oldest skier" award
for the longer event. To me, this is hilarious, though it's a nice
little prize. (I'd sooner win the "sexiest male" skier award, though
that's not going to happen soon!) Actually, a couple of 70 yr. olds
did the shorter race, so it hardly seems fair.

So five weekends consecutively of racing, including a 50 classic and
a shortened 50 skate for me. It's time to take two weeks away from
racing, hopefully do the 25 classic at Duntroon then and be done
for the year. Conditions at those two places, Highlands and Hardwood,
and also possibly Horseshoe, are still really good,
despite that week of tropical weather.
I remember early in the season saying here, in explaining
the difference between total snow and base to someone who questioned it,
that we pretty much never get over 40 cm. base. But Highlands Nordic
was up to 45 at one point with all that lake effect, and still have
way more than half that, so it's been a great season.

Not such a short reply, was it!

Best, Peter
Old March 8th 04, 08:56 AM
Terje Mathisen

Jeff Potter wrote:
[nice race story snipped]
and the hills got more moderate. I really reeled in the two guys ahead
on one big long medium uphill. I do think my uphill diag is darn nice. I
just love doing it and would LOVE to get a chance to really do so
someday.

Here's an idea for you:

a) Fly to Norway, get to Rena for the start of Birkebeineren

b) Make sure you have some grip wax on.

c) Wait for the gun

d) Start skiing. The first 15 K is more or less all uphill diag.
:-)

Terje

--
-