snow boot advice: high instep/wide foot

Old November 17th 04, 11:58 AM
Timo

Default snow boot advice: high instep/wide foot

I am a now-and-then beginner-level skier, but would like to buy a pair of
boots rather than rent them, because my foot is atypical, at least in North
America, so rental boots tend to be either too long or too tight. I have a
high instep and a wide forefoot. I wear a mens 8.5 EEEE shoe. Shoes made in
Europe, on wider lasts, tend to fit me much better than shoes made in Asia
on narrow lasts. Judging from how well shoes made in Spain have fit me over
the years, my guess is that a Spanish ski boot, if there is such a thing, is
likely to provide a decent fit. I'm hoping to find a relatively inexpensive
pair of boots that can accommodate a mens 8.5 EEEE, and would be grateful
for any suggestions or leads.
Thanks
Timo

Old November 17th 04, 12:20 PM
Timo

I should add that I will be skiblading, with releasable bindings, at a
leisurely pace mainly enjoying the gliding and the pine air, on corduroy.
Timo

Old November 17th 04, 02:12 PM
GF

I have a men's 10 EEEE size (nod to New Balance) and after hours of
walking arounfd the store in various boots the Tecnica Rival RX came
out on top. Its not a perfect fit but I won't know if they need any
tweaking until I ski them. The shop can heat mold them if necessary.

Even though you share the wideness trait with me there may be other
factors that make a difference for you. But I would suggest looking at
these to get started. Good Luck.

GF

Old November 17th 04, 04:08 PM
AH

"Timo" wrote in message
[...]

You should go to a reputable shop and see if you can speak with a
bootfitter.. its their job to sort you out with a boot that fits your type
of foot, and then depending on the boot, they should be able to fit it
specifically for your foot..

Old November 17th 04, 11:57 PM
Timo

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check out the Tecnicas. I've also heard
from another source that Nordica boots run wide.
Viva, New Balance! ;-)
Timo

Old November 18th 04, 02:20 AM
rosco

Timo wrote:
I am a now-and-then beginner-level skier, but would like to buy a pair of
boots rather than rent them, because my foot is atypical, at least in North
America, so rental boots tend to be either too long or too tight. I have a
high instep and a wide forefoot. I wear a mens 8.5 EEEE shoe. Shoes made in
Europe, on wider lasts, tend to fit me much better than shoes made in Asia
on narrow lasts. Judging from how well shoes made in Spain have fit me over
the years, my guess is that a Spanish ski boot, if there is such a thing, is
likely to provide a decent fit. I'm hoping to find a relatively inexpensive
pair of boots that can accommodate a mens 8.5 EEEE, and would be grateful
for any suggestions or leads.
Thanks
Timo

Hey Timo. I am not sure that you need boots. Or skis. Just get a good
pair of liner socks and some heavy duty outers and let it rip.

Seriously, good luck. Find that elusive bootfitter and let him do the
work of finding you a boot.

RAC

Old November 18th 04, 03:15 AM
lal_truckee

Timo wrote:
I am a now-and-then beginner-level skier, but would like to buy a pair of
boots rather than rent them, because my foot is atypical, at least in North
America, so rental boots tend to be either too long or too tight. I have a
high instep and a wide forefoot. I wear a mens 8.5 EEEE shoe. Shoes made in
Europe, on wider lasts, tend to fit me much better than shoes made in Asia
on narrow lasts. Judging from how well shoes made in Spain have fit me over
the years, my guess is that a Spanish ski boot, if there is such a thing, is
likely to provide a decent fit. I'm hoping to find a relatively inexpensive
pair of boots that can accommodate a mens 8.5 EEEE, and would be grateful
for any suggestions or leads.
Thanks
Timo

Daleboot can fit anything.
http://www.dalebootusa.com/images/feet_small.gif

http://www.dalebootusa.com/feedback.htm?
Old November 18th 04, 01:17 PM
Timo

I've tried sintering the soles of my feet, Rosco; it solved the problem of
release bindings and boot sizing, but it's too much of a strain keeping my
toes pointed up all the time. If I relax them and they curl down, it's end
over end for me.
Timo

Old November 18th 04, 01:19 PM
Timo

"Anyone" would have been politer than "anything", don't you think?
Thanks for the lead. ;-)
Timo

Old November 18th 04, 04:02 PM
lal_truckee

Timo wrote:
"Anyone" would have been politer than "anything", don't you think?
Thanks for the lead. ;-)
Timo

"lal_truckee" wrote in message

Daleboot can fit anything.
http://www.dalebootusa.com/images/feet_small.gif

http://www.dalebootusa.com/feedback.htm?

I bet Dale will make you a boot that'll fit a prosthetic, if that's your
requirement; maybe the reference isn't so outre?

any boot advice? ex Snowboarding 5 March 16th 05 03:12 AM
Fischer Centrix Classic Boot - On-Snow Review Tim Kelley Nordic Skiing 26 December 10th 04 06:11 PM
Best advice for a first time xc'er VISAMAN Nordic Skiing 17 November 19th 03 11:20 PM
History of boots Sly D. Skeez Nordic Skiing 4 October 1st 03 05:14 AM