entry level skate ski and boot

Old February 21st 05, 12:51 AM
nnn

Default entry level skate ski and boot

can anyone recommend a skate ski and skate boot for a beginner?

thank you, tom
Old February 21st 05, 01:13 AM
Jeff Martin

nnn wrote:
can anyone recommend a skate ski and skate boot for a beginner?

thank you, tom

Rossignol Delta with the Rossi Max Boot and Binding
Old February 21st 05, 02:58 AM
nnn

"Jeff Martin" wrote in message
nnn wrote:
can anyone recommend a skate ski and skate boot for a beginner?

thank you, tom

Rossignol Delta with the Rossi Max Boot and Binding

Hello,

I just read this from the archives:
----------
As someone that sells skis for a living and has been skiing for 30 years I
do have some recomendations for you:

1. In my experience the lower end Atomics tend to run a bit soft. A soft
ski will tend to hyperextend so that there is more pressure under the middle
of the ski than the tip and tail. What this means is that you are skiing
only on the middle third of the ski which makes it inherently unstable. I
would suggest going with a mid level skating ski like the Rossignol Delta
Skate or the Fischer SCS. I am not as big a fan of the Atomic or Madshus
skis as they have a foam core, which in my experience seems to be more
fragile.

2. If you are skating in a Combi boot, that will also add to your
instability problem. A combi boot does not have as much lateral support as
a pure skate boot. Also the soles tend to flex too much due to the need for
classical technique. My suggestions are the Salomon Race Skate 9 if you
have a narrow foot, or the Rossignol Xium if your foot is wider.

3. Another thing that can really help with stability is a custom insole.
The green Superfeet insoles are good, but a $100 custom insole will create a
much better point of contact between your foot and the ski resulting in
better balance.

4. As far as the bindings, there is very little difference between either
of the Salomon bindings (pilot or profil) or the NNN R3 bindings. The
binding should be based solely off of what boot fits your foot best.

5. Not a stability issue, but make sure that your pole is the proper
height:
Your height (in inches) x 2.54 x .9 = Your skating length pole.

Hope this helps.

Dan
--------
--------

I need a size 49 boot, and I see the fischer centrix skate boots are
available in 49's. Would anyone recommend the s5000 or s7000 as an
alternative to the Salomon Race Skate 9?

thanks, tom

Old February 21st 05, 05:01 AM
nnn

Here is a package deal I am thinking about:

$170 Fischer SCS 192-stiff (I weigh ~220 lbs.)

$150 Fischer S5000 Pilot--size 49
or
$200 Fisher S9000 Pilot--size 49

$81 Salomon Pilot Equipe Skate Binding

$70 Swix Comp CT4 Composite Poles
or
$80 Exel C-3 Cork F03
or
$99 Swix Comp CT5 Composite Poles(10% lighter than CT4)

My height x 2.54 x .90 = 173cm, so should I get 175cm poles?

In a size 49, I was able to try on some Salomon Carbon Pros(they always seem
to make the top models in larger sizes to make people with big feet pay
up!). They seemed fine in length, but they had a vise grip on my foot width
wise. I'm not sure how tight they should fit. Do they stretch?

Most importantly, how do Fischer Centrix boots fit relative to Salomons? I
won't be able to try the Fischers on, so I would have to order them, and if
they didn't fit I would have to send them back, but they are part of a
package, so I might have to return the whole package. Maybe they can send
me the boots, and if they fit, they could send the rest of the package? If
not, I could send the boots back.

thanks, tom

Old February 21st 05, 05:11 AM
Gene Goldenfeld

Who is selling this package? I've seen lower individual sale prices on
the bindings. Where do you live and are there any shops within travel
distance? Are you looking for price or fit? The problem with mail
order packages is that all the pieces had better be right for you or the
whole thing breaks down and people get unhappy. How are they going to
determine proper ski fit for you (not from a table)? Start with the
boots, since that determines bindings. Don't skimp on poles or straps,
which it appears you are (I don't know about the Exel, but suspect the
Swix wouldn't support you well in that length); it's often better to buy
longer as a kit, get pole glue, and cut them down yourself (hacksaw).
Those formulas are simply a guide to start from and there are lots of
formulas out there (btw, is that height in boots?).

Gene

Old February 21st 05, 07:15 AM
nnn

Hello,

Where do you live and are there any shops within travel
distance?

Yes, but none have boots in my size except the Salomon Carbon Pros I tried
on.

How are they going to
determine proper ski fit for you (not from a table)?

How is fit determined? I'm 6' 3" 220 lbs, so I assumed I needed the longest
ski, and the Fischer SCS only comes in stiff flex in a 192cm length.

(btw, is that height in boots?)

No, it's my *height* x 2.54 x .90

Those formulas are simply a guide to start from and there are lots of
formulas out there

Well, what's a beginner to do?

thanks, tom

Old February 21st 05, 07:18 AM
nnn

$77 Atomic RS8 190cm

$210 Salomon Racing Skate 9 (size 49)

Old February 21st 05, 07:28 AM
nnn

Me:
$170 Fischer SCS 192-stiff (I weigh ~220 lbs.)

You:
How are they going to
determine proper ski fit for you (not from a table)?

I see another recent message that says length is determined by weight in
both classic and skate skiing. Is that not true?

Old February 21st 05, 07:35 AM
nnn

Don't skimp on poles or straps,
which it appears you are (I don't know about the Exel, but suspect the
Swix wouldn't support you well in that length);

Are you saying the material is too weak, and I need aluminum poles?

Old February 21st 05, 02:33 PM
Gene Goldenfeld

Tom,
The practice is to answer in one email, if possible.

What is a beginner to do? Ask for advice as you are, and try to avoid
as many rushed, money and convenience-over-good fit decisions as
possible. You didn't say, but are you a beginning skater or beginning
skier? If the latter, and you're not a very experienced rollerblader or
speed skater, I'll make the same suggestion any ski school in the
country will -- start with classic technique. Skating is much harder to
learn, esp. as an adult, if you're not comfortable on skis in a variety
of terrain, don't know about basic technique ideas such as weight shift,
handling downhills, don't know how to use poles, etc.

Assuming that you are ready to learn skating, we still don't know
where you live (or which shop you want to buy from), so really can't
evaluate your response. One theoretical possiblity is expanding your
region of in-person search (calling ahead first). Another is, if you
happen to live in an area where snow will soon disappear, live with
rentals and wait until early next season (often pre-season sales).
Another is to get a week-to-walk-around-the-house deal on the boots
before having bindings mounted on the skis. In other words, if your
primary goal is to have an enjoyable experience, it's worth not rushing
for the sake of price or immediate convenience.

Skis: There is lots of skier weight variability and even
flex-characteristic differences within categories like stiff or medium,
and even within pairs of skis (due to manufacturing variability and who
knows what else). By knowing your weight, height, skiing ability,
goals, and types of terrain you'll be skiing a *good* shop can make a
close estimate of ski fit without you being present. However, it is a
bit of a crap shoot. If you are buying mail order, you won't know if
they are picking exactly for you or something "close" based on what they
have in stock -- and it is nearing the end of the season. So, you have
to be explicit about that. The surest method is in person with the skis
on a flat board, which allows the salesperson to see how the ski flexes
with you on top in different weighted/unweighted positions.

Poles: Think of poles as weight you are swinging and pushing on
repeatedly for an hour or two or more with some of the weaker muscles.
Thus, a combination of light and strong and fairly stiff is a good
choice, and for someone big like you, something like Swix's CT-3 level
is a reasonable choice (Rex and Excel are also to be considered). In
measuring length, they don't say it unless you ask, but virtually all
the tables and formulas are based on having ski boots (or similar) on.
A good place to start for is the lower lip (measured at the top of the
grip or, with Swix, maybe two-thirds up the top of the grip's curve).
If you really need to buy mail order, then have someone measure you
(shoes on) to that point and convert to cm. Alternatively, buy a stock
length like 175 and cut it yourself. Learning how to put together a
pole grip is a good thing to know.

Hope that helps,
Gene

Hello,