6th March v School Holidays

Old February 15th 04, 02:53 PM
Simon

Default 6th March v School Holidays

Planning to go skiing w/c 6th March - will I have missed the French School
holidays?

Old February 15th 04, 05:46 PM
PG

"Simon" wrote in message
| Planning to go skiing w/c 6th March - will I have missed the French
School
| holidays?

You're arriving on the last day....

That said, I've not found it busy at all skiing around the Tarentaise,
even today, the start of the overlap period (two regions on holiday for
two weeks). No queues at all around La Plagne yesterday, only slightly
busier down in Montalbert today. Ste Foy, La Rosière? Hardly a soul
there last week.

Pete
www.skiclublesarcs.com

Old February 23rd 04, 08:52 AM
Ace

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 19:46:07 +0100, "PG"
wrote:

"Simon" wrote in message
| Planning to go skiing w/c 6th March - will I have missed the French
School
| holidays?

You're arriving on the last day....

That said, I've not found it busy at all skiing around the Tarentaise,
even today, the start of the overlap period (two regions on holiday for
two weeks). No queues at all around La Plagne yesterday, only slightly
busier down in Montalbert today. Ste Foy, La Rosière? Hardly a soul
there last week.

And not too bad last week either, although there were _some_ queues.
It did seem that there was a lot more traffic arriving this Saturday
(21st) as we were leaving than the previous one, however.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old February 23rd 04, 09:13 AM
PG

"Ace" wrote in message
news | On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 19:46:07 +0100, "PG"
| wrote:

| | Planning to go skiing w/c 6th March - will I have missed the French
| School
| | holidays?
|
| You're arriving on the last day....
|
| That said, I've not found it busy at all skiing around the
Tarentaise,
| even today, the start of the overlap period (two regions on holiday
for
| two weeks). No queues at all around La Plagne yesterday, only
slightly
| busier down in Montalbert today. Ste Foy, La Rosière? Hardly a soul
| there last week.
|
| And not too bad last week either, although there were _some_ queues.
| It did seem that there was a lot more traffic arriving this Saturday
| (21st) as we were leaving than the previous one, however.

I've yet to explore the domain - just there for a race in the main stade
at Plagne Centre, then another one recently at Montalbert (but like an
idiot took the wrong road and ended up at Plagne 1800, had to ski there,
missing the start...). Keep reading about how 'flat' people find it. Ok
it's not as varied perhaps as Les Arcs, but is it really that bad?

Pete
www.skiclublesarcs.com

Old February 23rd 04, 10:04 AM
Ace

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 11:13:56 +0100, "PG" wrote:

"Ace" wrote in message
news | On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 19:46:07 +0100, "PG"
| wrote:

| | Planning to go skiing w/c 6th March - will I have missed the French
| School
| | holidays?
|
| You're arriving on the last day....
|
| That said, I've not found it busy at all skiing around the
Tarentaise,
| even today, the start of the overlap period (two regions on holiday
for
| two weeks). No queues at all around La Plagne yesterday, only
slightly
| busier down in Montalbert today. Ste Foy, La Rosière? Hardly a soul
| there last week.
|
| And not too bad last week either, although there were _some_ queues.
| It did seem that there was a lot more traffic arriving this Saturday
| (21st) as we were leaving than the previous one, however.

I've yet to explore the domain - just there for a race in the main stade
at Plagne Centre, then another one recently at Montalbert (but like an
idiot took the wrong road and ended up at Plagne 1800, had to ski there,
missing the start...). Keep reading about how 'flat' people find it. Ok
it's not as varied perhaps as Les Arcs, but is it really that bad?

Flat? Bad? No, not at all. I suspect it's just the geographically
challenged, who never get out of the area above Plagne Centre/ Plagne
Bellecote, who think this is the case.

Some of the blacks on Bellecote itself and over the other side at Aime
la Plagne are genuinely challenging, not to mention the off-piste
possibilities around them. And the North face of Bellecote is one
(well, about three, actually, plus variants) of the "must-do" descents
in the Alps, IMO.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old February 23rd 04, 10:16 AM
'Hog

Ace wrote:

Some of the blacks on Bellecote itself and over the other side at Aime
la Plagne are genuinely challenging, not to mention the off-piste
possibilities around them. And the North face of Bellecote is one
(well, about three, actually, plus variants) of the "must-do" descents
in the Alps, IMO.

Most certainly tightened my sphincter when I popped a binding there last
year.

--
'Hog

Old February 23rd 04, 10:17 AM
Greg Hilton

Ace wrote in news:lanj30lrhivif9co46di5sn7r7sp8oadou@
4ax.com:

not to mention the off-piste
possibilities around them. And the North face of Bellecote is one

I'm there on the 21st March Bruce, any recommended guides?

regards,

greg
Old February 23rd 04, 10:18 AM
PG

"Ace" wrote in message
| On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 11:13:56 +0100, "PG" wrote:
|
| Flat? Bad? No, not at all. I suspect it's just the geographically
| challenged, who never get out of the area above Plagne Centre/ Plagne
| Bellecote, who think this is the case.
|
| Some of the blacks on Bellecote itself and over the other side at Aime
| la Plagne are genuinely challenging, not to mention the off-piste
| possibilities around them. And the North face of Bellecote is one
| (well, about three, actually, plus variants) of the "must-do" descents
| in the Alps, IMO.

I'm on my way !

Pete

Old February 23rd 04, 11:50 AM
Ace

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 11:17:14 GMT, Greg Hilton wrote:

Ace wrote in news:lanj30lrhivif9co46di5sn7r7sp8oadou@
4ax.com:

not to mention the off-piste
possibilities around them. And the North face of Bellecote is one

I'm there on the 21st March Bruce, any recommended guides?

Frayed knot, can't even remember the name of the guy[1] we[2] had last
week. I've only done it with a guide from TopSki in Val, when doing
the tour tarentaise last year. Was going to do it with my wife and two
other reps on Saturday, but the weather closed in so we came home
instead :-}

But you may consider doing it without a guide, as it's not on a
glacier. The two main entry points are fairly obvious from the top of
the 'Traversee' chair above the Bellecote telecabine, and once you get
down towards the bottom, the route out should be fairly obvious. I'd
happily do it without a guide now, although I'd hesitate to lead a
group down, IYSWIM.

[1] Some of our group had requested a guide, which we (thought) had
been booked via the ESF, as we were using them as instructors for the
holiday anyway. Turned out that he wasn't actually UIAGM, as they were
all fully booked, but was qualified as an Off-piste instructor, which
basically enables him to do anything except glaciated terrain. On the
first day, the group wanted to do the Cul de Nant, which _is_ on a
glacier, so he had to arrange to 'follow' another guide down it.
Turned out that he was a great guy and everyone skiing with him
thouroughly enjoyed it, so that was all right.

[2] Not me personally, I was otherwise occupied with the various kids'
and adults' groups on the days they weren't getting instruction.
--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old February 23rd 04, 12:28 PM
PG

"Greg Hilton" wrote in message
| Ace wrote in
| 4ax.com:
|
| not to mention the off-piste
| possibilities around them. And the North face of Bellecote is one
|

| I'm there on the 21st March Bruce, any recommended guides?

The guy most people mention around the area is James Merel, based at
Arcs 2000 ESF, high mountain guide for 20 years or so, covering most of
the Tarentaise. He's done it all, from Alaska to Peru, and literally
wrote the definitive book on the Vanoise. Otherwise there's three listed
at http://www.cieguidevanoise.com/bureaux/plagne.htm , know nothing
about them however.

Pete
www.skiclublesarcs.com