help! I'm abusing my quads!

Old January 10th 05, 04:49 AM
ant

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
On 2005-01-10, The Real Bev penned:
VtSkier wrote:

I've been dragging my poles for 50 years, don't worry about it.

Glad to hear you say that. Theory has it that you plant to provide some
sort of timing for the turn, but that sounds sort of like saying "oink"
before you take each step just to keep your walking, uhhh, something...
Why
do I need to signal my brain before making a turn?

I've been told to plant in order to give myself a point around which to
turn.
I tend to "shop around" in moguls, seeking that one perfect bump around
which
to turn.

one of my bad habits I've been hammering at...now I only do it if I get
nervous, or lose concentration.
Follow the water flowing down those moguls, and turn turn turn.

The assertive plant is supposed to cue me to assertively turn around
that spot. Amazingly enough, it does work when I do it.

Actually, that hard pole plant is a "blocking" pole plant, setting up a
point of resistance. This is how we used to ski in the old days, and there
is still a role for the blocking plant, but it's best not to make them your
"norm". A timing touch is better.

I tend to drag as a feeler, kind of like vtskier is describing. It gives
me a
sensation of "Oh, there's the mountain." I'm sure it doesn't look all
that
dignified or cool, though.

And does tend to bring your body slightly backwards. Have you tried a few
runs without stocks? technically, these days we don't even need them, except
for aggressive skiing when you want those pole plants. They are definitely
NOT for balance...although putting the tips in the snow beside your feet in
white-outs is a great trick.

ant

Old January 10th 05, 04:50 AM
ant

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
When instructors, friends, etc, try to get
me to feel the point where my boots are providing all of my support, I
never
seem to find it, whether on my old boots (salomon evolution) or my new
(salomon women's xwave 8). It *always* seems like my quads are involved.

You should not try to use your boots to "hold you up". A terrible habit, we
see a lot of it in the US. I have been skiing with my top buckle undone this
last week, just to fine-tune my balance a bit more and to prevent me using
any kind of fore-aft leverage in my boots.

Sore quads are invariably caused by the hips being back (just half an inch
is all it takes), which is a common skiing position of many.

ant

Old January 10th 05, 04:50 AM
ant

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote
After (half) a day of skiing, my quads are always burning and they're weak
enough that I worry about being able to make turns well.

A very common problem. Get a recommendation for whatever area you ski at,
and get a lesson with the person recommended. You are using your quads to
support you, rather than using bones and efficient balance. Your muscles can
only do this for so long, then they clag out on you. Correct dynamic balance
is the fundamental, foundation skill in skiing. Without it, you are always
fighting a battle that is un-necessary.

Most skiiers I see are either too much in the backseat, or crouched down too
much. Both are murder on the quadriceps.

Get a lesson (from somone who is recommended).

ant

Old January 10th 05, 02:50 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-10, ant penned:

A good cheat for the first week of the season, when DOMS always hits, is
compression tights. I have not found them in the US yet, although they are
in every ski shop in Oz, and the footballers wear them too for training.
I'd love to know where they are available in the US, as they'd be perfect
for people whose ski holiday is often ruined by sore legs. www.skins.com.au
is the mob who supplies them in Australia. They are truly magic. I wear them
for my first week of skiing twice a year; I used to spend about a week in
agony, unable to sit or stand without sighing gustily, and they'd flicker at
night. That's the whole legs, not just bits of them. Now, nothing.

What's DOMS?

I do wear cycling over-tights while skiing. I've been thinking about wearing
hockey compression shorts, but was concerned about what the constriction would
do to my circulation. Full-length would be cool, but I try not to stick
anything but my sock into my boot, to avoid chafing.

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old January 10th 05, 02:55 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-10, ant penned:
"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote
After (half) a day of skiing, my quads are always burning and they're weak
enough that I worry about being able to make turns well.

A very common problem. Get a recommendation for whatever area you ski at,
and get a lesson with the person recommended. You are using your quads to
support you, rather than using bones and efficient balance. Your muscles can
only do this for so long, then they clag out on you. Correct dynamic balance
is the fundamental, foundation skill in skiing. Without it, you are always
fighting a battle that is un-necessary.

Most skiiers I see are either too much in the backseat, or crouched down too
much. Both are murder on the quadriceps.

Get a lesson (from somone who is recommended).

I have a friend who was a ski instructor and, before that, on the
developmental ski team. She's had some knee troubles and can't ski the "good
stuff" anymore, but she can ski blue groomers. I wonder if I could ask her to
spend a day with me on a blue, working on this kind of stuff.

Private lessons are rather expensive; group lessons often end up being only
partially useful, and of course I get less direct attention.

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old January 10th 05, 02:55 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-10, bdubya penned:

It's a recurring bugaboo for me, too. One approach I use (in addition to
all the above good advice about hand position) is to start each turn by
trying to dive forward over the tips and slightly downhill. That's an
exaggerated description, but basically that's how it feels if you're use to
being in the back seat. Like trying to dive into a pool, except your feet
are locked to the ground. Then start the next dive (to the other side)
before it feels like you've finished the prior one. Not exactly orthodox
terminology, but if you've gotten comfy with sitting back, getting forward
really does feel that different.

That's pretty much exactly how one of my instructors described it. I'd kind
of set aside that drill in favor of other ones I. So much to remember! And
I'm not quite sure I ever got the hang of how to do this.

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old January 10th 05, 02:55 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-10, ant penned:
"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
When instructors, friends, etc, try to get me to feel the point where my
boots are providing all of my support, I never seem to find it, whether on
my old boots (salomon evolution) or my new (salomon women's xwave 8). It
*always* seems like my quads are involved.

You should not try to use your boots to "hold you up". A terrible habit, we
see a lot of it in the US. I have been skiing with my top buckle undone this
last week, just to fine-tune my balance a bit more and to prevent me using
any kind of fore-aft leverage in my boots.

Sore quads are invariably caused by the hips being back (just half an inch
is all it takes), which is a common skiing position of many.

Sorry to be a pain, but can you find an online picture that demonstrates the
proper body position? I've heard that I should be forward, and I've heard
that (with modern skis) I shouldn't have to bend my knees excessively. I've
also heard that I should imagine a line through my feet, knees, and (hands?
head?), which seems like I'd *have* to bend my knees a lot. So confused =/

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old January 10th 05, 03:00 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-10, VtSkier penned:

I have actually thought about dragging my poles a bit. It's always the
inside pole (see another thread in another location to see what I mean
by "inside", it's relative to the turn).

I can't imagine how it would be the outside pole, unless you were doing
something really weird.

I've said a lot about hands. Putting them and keeping them where they belong
and actually using them very little will cure many of the "problems" you are
describing.

So, which is better, reaching forward to pole plant or just flicking the pole
with your wrist?

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old January 10th 05, 03:05 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-10, ant penned:
"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

I've been told to plant in order to give myself a point around which to
turn. I tend to "shop around" in moguls, seeking that one perfect bump
around which to turn.

one of my bad habits I've been hammering at...now I only do it if I get
nervous, or lose concentration. Follow the water flowing down those moguls,
and turn turn turn.

It's a confidence issue, as your statement also suggests. There are (many)
places where I either lack confidence because I don't think I can turn where I
would need to, or I am afraid of my reaction time relative to the speed I
think I'll build up if I just go.

What I think I need to do is find a nice, *short* bump run and slowly get used
to going more and more down the fall line, rather than across it, to convince
myself that some speed isn't a bad thing. Anyone have any summit co.
suggestions for that? Actually, I guess the bottom portion of any run would
do, and in fact, I always ski the last few turns much better than I do the
rest of the run, because I know I can handle the part after the run.

The assertive plant is supposed to cue me to assertively turn around that
spot. Amazingly enough, it does work when I do it.

Actually, that hard pole plant is a "blocking" pole plant, setting up a
point of resistance. This is how we used to ski in the old days, and there
is still a role for the blocking plant, but it's best not to make them your
"norm". A timing touch is better.

Maybe I was supposed to be assertively choosing the pole spot, not plonking
the pole down. It's hard to separate all these fine details, and I always
find I have questions a day or so after the lesson =/

I tend to drag as a feeler, kind of like vtskier is describing. It gives
me a sensation of "Oh, there's the mountain." I'm sure it doesn't look all
that dignified or cool, though.

And does tend to bring your body slightly backwards. Have you tried a few
runs without stocks? technically, these days we don't even need them, except
for aggressive skiing when you want those pole plants. They are definitely
NOT for balance...although putting the tips in the snow beside your feet in
white-outs is a great trick.

Stocks are poles? No, I haven't. I should probably try that.

I don't understand your comment about tips and white-outs ..?

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old January 10th 05, 03:19 PM
Mary Malmros

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
On 2005-01-10, ant penned:

[...]

Take a look at Ron LeMaster's "The Skier's Edge". It's an excellent
reference using photos, drawings, diagrams, and pithy, non-obfuscatory
text, and it addresses issues such as body position, timing, etc.
LeMaster, BTW, does video analysis for the US Ski Team, and he knows
whereof he speaks.

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.