first double black!

Old February 11th 04, 02:41 AM
mark

"Monique Y. Herman" wrote
Heh. No. I was the chick on alpine skis taking my sweet time. A few
turns, stop, find a line, rinse, repeat. I never fell, though. Oddly
enough, it seemed easier to turn on this steeper slope than on
less-steep slopes, so the moguls weren't as intimidating. Weird.

monique

If you are skiing well, moving your body in the direction of the turn
instead of leaning back into the hill, a steeper slope will be easier to
make turns on.

Sounds like you're skiing quite nicely. With practice, "a few turns, stop,
etc." will evolve into more and more turns, until you're linking turns top
to bottom.

Old February 11th 04, 05:05 AM
Alex Heney

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:31:05 CST, "MattB"
wrote:

Monique Y. Herman wrote:

snip
That's a self-fulfilling prophecy, as I have no idea what you're
talking about. So now I have to ask: what are Dynafit, Fritschi, and
Whippets?

I only know Dynafit in a ski context. It's a custom liner. I have some and I
swear by them. Once your stock liners pack out and you boots don't fit like
they used to you should get some too.

IIRC Whippets where the Nitrous cartridges we'd fill balloons with and
inhale for a buzz in my younger days. Chances are, that's not what's being
referred to here.

Nah, whippets are dogs. Like greyhounds but smaller. Still probably
not what is being referred to here ;-)
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
How do I set my phaser to tickle?

To reply by email, my address is aDOTjDOTheneyATbtinternetDOTcom

Old February 11th 04, 03:16 PM
Gamma

I completely hear this. I'm a new-new-newbie and... well, the "bunny
slope" was about 10 feet long and shallow, but the "next step up" slope
had one steep(er) hill. Of course, everyone fell, scraping the powder
off. Then more people fell because they couldn't slow down, scraping the
powder off...

My mum, who went skiing with me, also reports that the big "slow" signs
don't work. Apparently if you go over one it bends down and pops back up
just like when someone crashes on TV, and leaves you going at the same
speed.

You forgot "sitting"...

Monique Y. Herman wrote:

snip
Actually, though, some greens can end up being pretty demanding --
they're heavily travelled, so they're either bare in places or icy.
They're mostly flat, but there are big "slow" signs to keep you from
picking up speed to carry you through the flat areas (granted, I
understand that new skiers shouldn't have to deal with people treating
their area as a race course). And there are tons of obstacles, er,
people scattered across the run, moving erratically, falling, etc. that
you have to avoid.

Old February 11th 04, 03:32 PM
bdubya

wrote:

Monique Y. Herman wrote:

snip
That's a self-fulfilling prophecy, as I have no idea what you're
talking about. So now I have to ask: what are Dynafit, Fritschi, and
Whippets?

I only know Dynafit in a ski context. It's a custom liner. I have some and I
swear by them. Once your stock liners pack out and you boots don't fit like
they used to you should get some too.

IIRC Whippets where the Nitrous cartridges we'd fill balloons with and
inhale for a buzz in my younger days. Chances are, that's not what's being
referred to here.

Nah, whippets are dogs. Like greyhounds but smaller. Still probably
not what is being referred to here ;-)

Nah, Whippet's a really overstable driver and a good wind-piercer, but
it takes a lot of arm (more than I have) to really put it to use.
www.innovadiscs.com/discs/whippet.html
Still probably not what is being referred to here ;-)

bw

Old February 11th 04, 04:11 PM
Charlie Crabb

"Monique Y. Herman" wrote in message
Whee! I did my first double black ever yesterday. Main Street at
A-Basin. I'm told that, as double blacks go, it's not that high on the
"pucker factor" -- but that's okay. It was a good confidence builder,
and it was a lot more fun than I thought it'd be.

--
monique

Great stuff! Notice how well you ski the single blacks and advanced
intermediates after this. And it's great that the fun factor triumphed.
These slopes can be brutal. I have not skied A-Basin, but it's on
my list.
You are now invited to Squaw, Kirkwood, Alpine Meadows
Sugarbowl, and there's a line in Mott's Canyon (Heavenly)
with your name on it. :-)
/c

Old February 11th 04, 06:44 PM
Monique Y. Herman

On 2004-02-11, mark penned:

If you are skiing well, moving your body in the direction of the turn
instead of leaning back into the hill, a steeper slope will be easier
to make turns on.

Funny, huh?

Leaning back was my major vice just a few days (of skiing) ago. Last
year, a blue mogul run would reduce me to tears, I would be so
frustrated and scared. What I'm doing now is just plain amazing.

Sounds like you're skiing quite nicely. With practice, "a few turns,
stop, etc." will evolve into more and more turns, until you're linking
turns top to bottom.

That's what I hope. My s.o. suggested that, next time we ski, we find a
nice bump run and go down with rules. First run, link two turns each
time. Second run, three. etc ...

--
monique

Old February 11th 04, 07:04 PM
Monique Y. Herman

(You might want to avoid top-posting. A lot of newsgroup folks get
irate about this one.)

On 2004-02-11, Gamma penned:
I completely hear this. I'm a new-new-newbie and... well, the "bunny
slope" was about 10 feet long and shallow, but the "next step up"
slope had one steep(er) hill. Of course, everyone fell, scraping the
powder off. Then more people fell because they couldn't slow down,
scraping the powder off...

When we went to Keystone early in the season, the only run open to the
main lift was a steep, icy blue. So even those who should have been
skiing greens were on it. What a mess!

My mum, who went skiing with me, also reports that the big "slow"
signs don't work. Apparently if you go over one it bends down and pops
back up just like when someone crashes on TV, and leaves you going at
the same speed.

Heh. Someone I know got surprised by a snow change from soft to hard,
and barreled right into one of these signs. He pulled out the pole that
was holding it up -- but it *did* stop him.

You forgot "sitting"...

=)

--
monique

Old February 11th 04, 07:09 PM
Monique Y. Herman

On 2004-02-11, Charlie Crabb penned:

Great stuff! Notice how well you ski the single blacks and advanced
intermediates after this. And it's great that the fun factor
triumphed. These slopes can be brutal. I have not skied A-Basin, but
it's on my list.

Heh. Shortly after the double-black, I belly-flopped after getting my
tip caught on the top of a tree on Powder Keg (black). Ow! So I don't
know about skiing them any better ...

You are now invited to Squaw, Kirkwood, Alpine Meadows Sugarbowl, and
there's a line in Mott's Canyon (Heavenly) with your name on it. :-)
/c

Why, thank you.

Alpine Meadows was my s.o.'s skiing alma mater, so I'm sure we'll check
it out at some point.

Hrm. My news reader removes your messages when I follow up because the
message shows up under a signature indicator ...

--
eonique

Old February 11th 04, 07:10 PM
Chester Bullock

Monique Y. Herman wrote:

When we went to Keystone early in the season, the only run open to the
main lift was a steep, icy blue. So even those who should have been
skiing greens were on it. What a mess!

That is one of the major issues with Keystone. Having been there a few
times this year, another issue is how far you have to walk from the
parking lot to the lifts...
Chester

It's lonely at the top, but you eat better.