Advice for Perfect Father Son Alta Experience?

Old December 2nd 03, 07:29 PM
Monique Y. Herman

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 at 20:00 GMT, Chester Bullock penned:
Monique Y. Herman wrote:

ObSki: at what point is base damage too severe to be repaired?

If parts of the core are falling out or gouged horribly, then you may
be at the limit. Otherwise, just go to Reliable or Tognar's website
and get a ptex gun.

Ouch, that would be scary. Nah, just some gouges in the base. I guess
I'll bring them to a ski shop and see what they can do =) Maybe I'll
wait for a few more snow storms first, though ...

Speaking of, how do gouges actually affect skiing? Will I find myself
suddenly dragged off course or something?

--
monique

Old December 2nd 03, 07:34 PM
Monique Y. Herman

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 at 20:10 GMT, klaus penned:
Monique Y. Herman wrote:
ObSki: at what point is base damage too severe to be repaired?

When the two six packs you brought to the techs are refused. At that
point, you may want to try a bottle of single malt, but then again,
you may want to cut your losses. Single malt gets expensive if the
techs get used to it.

What's wrong with cold, hard cash?

--
monique

Old December 2nd 03, 07:34 PM
Chester Bullock

Monique Y. Herman wrote:

ObSki: at what point is base damage too severe to be repaired?

If parts of the core are falling out or gouged horribly, then you may
be at the limit. Otherwise, just go to Reliable or Tognar's website
and get a ptex gun.

Ouch, that would be scary. Nah, just some gouges in the base. I guess
I'll bring them to a ski shop and see what they can do =) Maybe I'll
wait for a few more snow storms first, though ...

Speaking of, how do gouges actually affect skiing? Will I find myself
suddenly dragged off course or something?

I don't think they would affect you as a recreational skier. However,
depending on where the gouges are, they could affect the edges ability
to stay in the sidewall, or the ability of the base to protect the core.
I have seen an edge blow out before. Not a pretty sight, and not easy
to fix.

--
Chester Bullock,
Ethical, custom website hosting, design and programming

Old December 2nd 03, 07:49 PM
Monique Y. Herman

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 at 20:34 GMT, Chester Bullock penned:
Monique Y. Herman wrote:

Speaking of, how do gouges actually affect skiing? Will I find
myself suddenly dragged off course or something?

I don't think they would affect you as a recreational skier. However,
depending on where the gouges are, they could affect the edges ability
to stay in the sidewall, or the ability of the base to protect the
core. I have seen an edge blow out before. Not a pretty sight, and
not easy to fix.

I would have to go and check, but casual inspection on the slope showed
no edge damage and no exposed base. Just called Boulder Ski Deals and
they quoted something like, $25 for waxing and sharpening, $35 for that
plus minor repair, and to figure $5 for every inch of ptexification.
Depending on how hard that figure is, that could be a lot of cash and/or
booze! (I suspect, however, that only some of it would be considered
attention-worthy, if any at all. Through dumb luck, I've never had to
deal with base damage before, so I haven't had to negotiate repair
prices.)

--
monique

Old December 2nd 03, 07:52 PM
Chester Bullock

Monique Y. Herman wrote:

[...]

Buy Seth's book and learn to do it yourself. I bought that book back in
the late 80's and it helped me immensely. I still do all of my own
repair work.

Old December 2nd 03, 08:04 PM
lal_truckee

Monique Y. Herman wrote:

ObSki: at what point is base damage too severe to be repaired?

If parts of the core are falling out or gouged horribly, then you may
be at the limit. Otherwise, just go to Reliable or Tognar's website
and get a ptex gun.

Really severe core shots might benefit from some epoxy filling before
ptexing. In fact I had some fav powder skis which I gave up on the base
and just every once in awhile filled every deep shot with polyurethane
glue, filed it off, and waxed it. Worked fine till I finally broke the
last Emory binding toe piece I had in the junk box.

Ouch, that would be scary. Nah, just some gouges in the base. I guess
I'll bring them to a ski shop and see what they can do =) Maybe I'll
wait for a few more snow storms first, though ...

Ptex candle for $1.00 - much cheaper than a ptex gun. Give you an idea
if you want to deal with self repairs before you invest in a gun.

Speaking of, how do gouges actually affect skiing? Will I find myself
suddenly dragged off course or something?

Gouges right along the edge undefoot will give you a severe case of the
rails making the ski feel weird and hard to turn. Just swapping ski
sides so the gouge is on the outside edge will make a great improvement.

Old December 2nd 03, 08:04 PM
lal_truckee

klaus wrote:

lal_truckee wrote:

Only problem with this idea is the Jackson Hole airport doesn't get the
flights SLC does, so it might be hard to access. Driggs (Targhee)
doesn't have and airport, so he'd need to drive an hour around from JH;
not a problem if the weather cooporates. But otherwise I agree - Targhee
for powder skiing hands down...

Hell, I can walk to Alta and I avoid it as much as possible. I love
sitting on Davenport *HILL* looking down both sides. One side is Alta,
the other side is virgin snow. Tough choice. And I've always had a
thing for virgins rather than completely tracked out slop. And then
when it is fresh at Alta for an hour or two, it's kinda like bar
closing time in L.A. *Don't* make eye contact. You might get killed.

Alta, Utah's other cult.

Wait - let me try to understand. Are you suggesting we guide the
inquisitive to your side of the hill?

Old December 2nd 03, 08:09 PM
Monique Y. Herman

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 at 20:52 GMT, Chester Bullock penned:

Buy Seth's book and learn to do it yourself. I bought that book back
in the late 80's and it helped me immensely. I still do all of my own
repair work.

I'd be pretty worried about flubbing it. But I may take a look.

--
monique

Old December 2nd 03, 08:10 PM
klaus

Monique Y. Herman wrote:

What's wrong with cold, hard cash?

It costs more.

-klaus

Old December 2nd 03, 08:14 PM
klaus

lal_truckee wrote:

Wait - let me try to understand. Are you suggesting we guide the
inquisitive to your side of the hill?

Well, of course not. They wouldn;t like it anyway. It has none of the
draw of Alta. People go to Vail because they like Vail. Same with
Alta. You can *try* to get them on this side, but it really doesn't
work. It's a matter of priorities.

-klaus