Breck extends skiing season?

Old March 2nd 11, 06:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Default Breck extends skiing season?

Someone told me they had seen a story on TV that Breck was extending
its season by at least a week, until late April. Can anyone confirm??
Old March 2nd 11, 08:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
snoig

On Mar 2, 12:28*pm, " wrote:
Someone told me they had seen a story on TV that Breck was extending
its season by at least a week, until late April. *Can anyone confirm??

They list April 24th as closing day. Just like they have all season.
Old March 3rd 11, 01:54 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Mar 2, 3:51*pm, snoig wrote:
On Mar 2, 12:28*pm, " wrote:

Someone told me they had seen a story on TV that Breck was extending
its season by at least a week, until late April. *Can anyone confirm??

They list April 24th as closing day. *Just like they have all season.

I hope to be out March 22 - April 3, so there should still be plenty
of snow that much earlier.
Old March 3rd 11, 02:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
snoig

On Mar 2, 7:54*pm, " wrote:
On Mar 2, 3:51*pm, snoig wrote:

On Mar 2, 12:28*pm, " wrote:

Someone told me they had seen a story on TV that Breck was extending
its season by at least a week, until late April. *Can anyone confirm??

They list April 24th as closing day. *Just like they have all season.

I hope to be out March 22 - April 3, so there should still be plenty
of snow that much earlier.

There's plenty of snow. Breck went over its average annual snowfall
of 300" at the end of January. There's a good chance that by the end
of next week we will have over a 100" base. I've only seen that a
couple of times in the almost 25 years I've been here.
Old March 3rd 11, 07:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Mar 3, 8:32*am, snoig wrote:

There's plenty of snow. *Breck went over its average annual snowfall
of 300" at the end of January. *There's a good chance that by the end
of next week we will have over a 100" base. *I've only seen that a
couple of times in the almost 25 years I've been here.

Our seasons quite often end for lack of business rather than snow. In
the case of Alta, they have dates pre set by the forest service of
whoever it is that they deal with. Insurance dates also come into play
I think. Base depth is probably a minor part.
Old March 4th 11, 12:40 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

comadrejo wrote:
In article
,
pigo wrote:

On Mar 3, 8:32 am, snoig wrote:

There's plenty of snow. Breck went over its average annual snowfall
of 300" at the end of January. There's a good chance that by the end
of next week we will have over a 100" base. I've only seen that a
couple of times in the almost 25 years I've been here.

Our seasons quite often end for lack of business rather than snow. In
the case of Alta, they have dates pre set by the forest service of
whoever it is that they deal with. Insurance dates also come into
play I think. Base depth is probably a minor part.

My guess that one needs a certain amount of daily skiers to break
even for all the electricity for the lifts, all the lift workers and
maintenance people, besides so many people buying lunch and buying a
thing or two at the ski shop. Insurance policies are probably issued
for the financial quarter, so I assume Wall Street has more of a say
on how long some resorts stay open than the weather and Snow Gods

Late season skiers are probably almost all season pass holders, so it gets even
worse.

I always wonder how Whistler/Blackcomb does it, given the owners have
been so highly leverage in the past, and they keep Whistler open after
May 15th. (I had some great skiing in Whistler in late May)

They are trying to be a 4 season resort. If they can get a few more golfers
there in the late spring/early summer by offering skiing to their spouses, that
probably helps make it worth while.

Old March 4th 11, 01:14 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

On 03/03/2011 08:40 PM, Bob F wrote:
comadrejo wrote:
In article
,
wrote:

On Mar 3, 8:32 am, wrote:

[...]

Killington's ski policy is to hold on as long
as it can with weather and attendance kept in
mind. I rarely ski past May 1 but Killington
might offer ski/golf packages if there is snow
on the slopes and the course is dried out
enough to use. The golf club house is a short
walk from Snowshed base and the Grand Hotel.
Old March 4th 11, 03:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
snoig

On Mar 3, 1:00*pm, pigo wrote:
On Mar 3, 8:32*am, snoig wrote:

There's plenty of snow. *Breck went over its average annual snowfall
of 300" at the end of January. *There's a good chance that by the end
of next week we will have over a 100" base. *I've only seen that a
couple of times in the almost 25 years I've been here.

Our seasons quite often end for lack of business rather than snow. In
the case of Alta, they have dates pre set by the forest service of
whoever it is that they deal with. Insurance dates also come into play
I think. Base depth is probably a minor part.

Back before the Buddy Pass, Breck would extend its season until
mothers day in good snow years. But back then everybody and their
brother didn't have a season pass so they were actually paying for
lift tickets. They would just keep Peak 8 open and only run a couple
of lifts. These days, there's no point in keeping open because the
only people skiing are season pass holders so they don't make any
money.

Plus, now that VR management has moved out of the mountains and down
to Broomfield, they run it just like any other business. At one point
it may have been run by skiers but these days, it's just about the
bottom line. I doubt that there are more than a couple of management
types down there that ski more than five days a year.

Old March 5th 11, 01:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Stallard[_5_]

On 3/3/11 3:00 PM, pigo wrote:
On Mar 3, 8:32 am, wrote:

There's plenty of snow. Breck went over its average annual snowfall
of 300" at the end of January. There's a good chance that by the end
of next week we will have over a 100" base. I've only seen that a
couple of times in the almost 25 years I've been here.

Our seasons quite often end for lack of business rather than snow. In
the case of Alta, they have dates pre set by the forest service of
whoever it is that they deal with. Insurance dates also come into play
I think. Base depth is probably a minor part.

Snowbird generally goes down to weekends only after Memorial Day.
I've seen them make it to around June 20th, and have heard of them going
to July 4th. I wouldn't get on an airplane to ski it that late, though.

Dave