ski recommendation

Old February 28th 11, 08:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

Default ski recommendation

On 02/28/11 12:38, VtSkier wrote:

1) why do you need light weight? If you are lift-served
the only time it's an issue is when you have to carry the
damned thing. If you aren't off-piste why bother with
lightweight except to carry back to the car?

Carrying to/from the car is bad enough, but I gather you've never been
trapped on a stopped lift for half an hour -- I could feel my knee
joints stretching toward the dislocation point. Fortunately the
patroller said I could drop my skis -- he picked them up and took them
to the top for me. The pain lasted for less than an hour, but still...

--
Cheers, Bev
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\
Old February 28th 11, 08:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

On 02/28/2011 03:38 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
On 02/28/11 06:09, VtSkier wrote:

On 02/27/2011 09:07 PM, downhill wrote:
Looking for a short light skis possible twin tips

Actually this is a good time to get something pretty good. It's not
such a good time to get something REALLY cheap. The fall ski swaps
are the time for that.

It's getting late in the season. See what ski shops have for use
demos if you want something really quite good.

I have a pair of skis which would meet your criteria except for the
twin tips that I got at a yard sale last summer for $35. They work
great for early and late season.

How about snow blades? Easy to carry, at any rate. My friend (who rented
140s last time) thinks she might like to try those.

I tried 'em. Couldn't stand up on them. Either on
my ass or my face.

Check out lost and found. Believe it or not people will leave skis on
the rack when they go home. Sometimes they will totally forget about
them. If they have been in lost and found for a good amount of time
they can be viewed and "claimed".

That's amazing. MORE amazing is that people will leave without their car
keys. When I went to the local L&F to see if anybody had turned in a
Goode detachable pole strap (and, incidentally, to see if anybody had
turned in the keys that I had left moments before at the ticket window)
the guy showed me a double handful of keys that had been left just in
the last month.

Old February 28th 11, 08:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 2/28/11 10:08 AM, downhill wrote:

That was the point the made me realize that I needed other pair of skis.

Well, that's always a good result; can't have too many skis.
Old February 28th 11, 08:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
down_hill

VtSkier wrote:

1) why do you need light weight? If you are lift-served
the only time it's an issue is when you have to carry the
damned thing. If you aren't off-piste why bother with
lightweight except to carry back to the car?

I find my self skating in the flats or the bunny hill, also to be able
to get back up the hill to him if he crashes. Also the twin tip is to
ski backwards while watching him. Just thinking that less weight is less
strain so legs can run longer with child. I like the alpine touring boot
idea. Plus I carry his skis when he has had enough.
I use the atomic sx for my rock and inspection skis and all mountain but
powder & are heavy. I am thinking about blades as an option if they are
150. I have enough real skis if I need them.

Goode skis are expensive and you should be able to make them as stiff as
you need. Carbon Fiber is a bit pricey just curious about lifespan. But
if I can spend more time with child in comfort it is worth what extra it
costs. Chasing a 5 year old on a ski hill uses a whole different set of
skills than doing race or training run loops

Old February 28th 11, 09:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

lal_truckee wrote:
On 2/28/11 10:08 AM, downhill wrote:

That was the point the made me realize that I needed other pair of skis.

Well, that's always a good result; can't have too many skis.

My intern goes to Syracuse and is on the ski team I have offered to loan
him two of the race skis I know I will not use any more this season.
Old February 28th 11, 09:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

On 02/28/2011 04:26 PM, lal_truckee wrote:
On 2/28/11 10:08 AM, downhill wrote:

That was the point the made me realize that I needed other pair of skis.

Well, that's always a good result; can't have too many skis.

what he said

Old February 28th 11, 09:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

On 02/28/2011 04:46 PM, down_hill wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

1) why do you need light weight? If you are lift-served
the only time it's an issue is when you have to carry the
damned thing. If you aren't off-piste why bother with
lightweight except to carry back to the car?

I find my self skating in the flats or the bunny hill, also to be able
to get back up the hill to him if he crashes. Also the twin tip is to
ski backwards while watching him. Just thinking that less weight is less
strain so legs can run longer with child. I like the alpine touring boot
idea. Plus I carry his skis when he has had enough.
I use the atomic sx for my rock and inspection skis and all mountain but
powder & are heavy. I am thinking about blades as an option if they are
150. I have enough real skis if I need them.

to be "blades" need to be 90cm or shorter. If 150, then not blades.

Goode skis are expensive and you should be able to make them as stiff as
you need. Carbon Fiber is a bit pricey just curious about lifespan. But
if I can spend more time with child in comfort it is worth what extra it
costs. Chasing a 5 year old on a ski hill uses a whole different set of
skills than doing race or training run loops

I just haven't seen much of the Goode skis. In fact I've never seen
a pair. I'd be curious too. I love my Goode pole, but there is a
whole of different materials requirements for poles vs. skis.

Old February 28th 11, 10:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

VtSkier wrote:
On 02/28/2011 04:26 PM, lal_truckee wrote:
On 2/28/11 10:08 AM, downhill wrote:

That was the point the made me realize that I needed other pair of skis.

Well, that's always a good result; can't have too many skis.

what he said

Skis are like tools
I am a tool collector.
Old March 1st 11, 01:30 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

On 02/28/2011 06:00 PM, downhill wrote:
VtSkier wrote:
On 02/28/2011 04:26 PM, lal_truckee wrote:
On 2/28/11 10:08 AM, downhill wrote:

That was the point the made me realize that I needed other pair of
skis.

Well, that's always a good result; can't have too many skis.

what he said

Skis are like tools

Skis are tools.

I am a tool collector.

I too collect tools (woodworking). They get used.
Some of my power tools
are 40 years old and older. Some of my hand tools
are in the vicinity of a century old. They have
surface blemishes. They do their jobs as well as
they did when they were new. The older tools are usually
of higher quality and have an expectation of
longevity that modern tools don't equal unless you
spend buckets of money for "boutique" tools.
Old March 1st 11, 02:34 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
down_hill

VtSkier wrote:

I too collect tools (woodworking). They get used.
Some of my power tools
are 40 years old and older. Some of my hand tools
are in the vicinity of a century old. They have
surface blemishes. They do their jobs as well as
they did when they were new. The older tools are usually
of higher quality and have an expectation of
longevity that modern tools don't equal unless you
spend buckets of money for "boutique" tools.

I work with metal, some of my tools in the 40 to 50 year range. Bought
my first miller heliarc machine 30 years ago sold it for 1/2 of what I
paid for it 15 years ago and I point to it when I visit a race shop
because it still works. My new one I paid about the same as I did for
that older machine but I can carry my new machine in one hand it is the
size of a suitcase and will weld 1/4 inch aluminum. My tools get used
and get replaced or supplemented. Lately been adding measuring tools
from enco tools. Two favorites one is a air powered belt sander 3/4 by
18 inch long belt, it enables you to deburr the inside of 1 inch thin
walled square tubing. The other is a quarter inch die grinder that the
head come out at 135 degrees, normally they are straight and 90 degrees.
I have a growing collection, once I week last summer I would pull a pile
of tools dump them in front of intern put a pile of catalogs that
contain descriptions and have him tell me what they were and what you
could do with them. A couple of times he had suggested other uses for a
tool.
I have no problem with a tool being consumed in the process of a
project, I go nuts when I see somebody with my big snapon 1 1/8 wrench
beating it against a piece of metal because he like the sound it makes.

Need a Binding Recommendation Xenos Snowboarding 1 December 27th 05 03:28 AM
Mitten Recommendation Rich Heimlich Alpine Skiing 8 December 24th 05 04:09 PM
Sled recommendation Jim Nordic Skiing 2 December 9th 05 11:01 PM
Ski recommendation Arne Aas Backcountry Skiing 3 October 27th 04 08:01 AM
Recommendation? Walt Alpine Skiing 1 December 9th 03 04:38 PM