Which skis for France?

Old September 20th 03, 03:14 PM
Rick

Default Which skis for France?

I'm a Dublin-based Aussie skiing in Tignes for a few weeks in Feb -
just wondering if I should have my Volkl P40s (orange, 2001????
models) freighted over from Oz for $AU200, or if I'm better off just
renting more of an all-mountain ski in France.

The P40s are great for Oz and NZ - not too much powder - but I'm not
sure how they'll go for off piste in France if I get the kind of snow
I'm hoping for. Any thoughts from anyone out there with a bit of
experience skiing in Europe?

PS: I'm going on to live in Vancouver for a year after Ireland, so
this might have a bearing on what I do, too.
Old September 20th 03, 09:22 PM
Seth Masia

The P40s are pretty versatile skis and ought to work pretty well. You may
want them in Vancouver for cruising at Whistler. If you're not completely
comfortable on them in deep powder, you'll need a pair of fatter skis. If
money is an issue, I'd ship the Volkls over, and then demo some wider skis
when you get fresh snow in Tignes. I'm very happy on thickish Euro and BC
powder on a 72-74mm waist with about 16-18mm of sidecut depth, and for this
kind of snow you usually want a metal ski. Rossi Bandit XX and Dynastar
Intuitiv 74 are a good place to start and you might be able to get these
skis fairly cheaply in France (tho' probably not in Tignes). If you don't
see good deals there, wait until you get to Vancouver and pop over to
Seattle to buy some K2s cheap. Axis X Pro is designed for Whistler.

Seth
http://skiinghistory.org
http://masia.org

om...

Old September 22nd 03, 06:08 PM
Jim Hutton

"Rick" wrote in message
om...
I'm a Dublin-based Aussie skiing in Tignes for a few weeks in Feb -
just wondering if I should have my Volkl P40s (orange, 2001????
models) freighted over from Oz for $AU200, or if I'm better off just
renting more of an all-mountain ski in France.

The P40s are great for Oz and NZ - not too much powder - but I'm not
sure how they'll go for off piste in France if I get the kind of snow
I'm hoping for. Any thoughts from anyone out there with a bit of
experience skiing in Europe?

PS: I'm going on to live in Vancouver for a year after Ireland, so
this might have a bearing on what I do, too.

I would rent, I think. I have P40's too (SL - which I assume you have too),
which I enjoy on-piste, but don't
feel so happy with off-piste. With a bit of effort you can find Volkl race
carvers, vertigos etc which are the business !! Don't settle for the soggy
french skis you will find everywhere, you will be disappointed after Volkls.

Having said that (a) I watched from a chair as some guys were coming down,
really at home in waist-deep powder. When the skis emerged, they were P40SL
!

and (b) perhaps you should try a few different types/makes of ski to see
what you personally like best, rather than going by anyone's opinion,
however expert. Another argument for renting.

Jim Hutton

carving in the really deep stuff! copek Snowboarding 16 January 18th 04 03:32 PM
FS: Grass Ski's www.amogen.com Snowboarding 0 January 8th 04 05:51 AM
old skis John General 0 January 6th 04 04:15 AM
olin skis jintsfan General 1 December 9th 03 02:55 AM
FS: Salomon Junior Racing Ski's Matthew Hammond General 0 December 7th 03 03:17 PM