Inliner speed vs. Rollerski speed

Old September 8th 03, 02:26 PM
Ken Roberts

Default Inliner speed vs. Rollerski speed

I'm not getting how initiating from a deeper knee bend is related to weight
transfer. Or what could be hard about weight transfer in skating.

Bob Creasote wrote
I have also found that [deeper knee bend] makes
the weight transfer thing a little harder too.

During the leg-push, the other non-pushing ski is up in the air, so all your
weight must be on the pushing ski. At the end of the leg-push, you just
land the other ski down on the snow, and the old push ski naturally goes up
into the air. So all your weight must now be on the other ski.

So all your weight has been fully transferred. There's no other way natural
way to do it in skating.

Unlike classic diagonal stride, it's actually rather difficult _not_ to
transfer your weight fully in skating.

Ken

Old September 8th 03, 10:40 PM

Old September 11th 03, 05:36 AM
Nathan Schultz

Ken,

Probably 90% or more of the people I see skiing around do not have
complete weight transfer in skating, so I disagree with your assessment that
it is hard not to get weight transfer.

Weight transfer in skating doesn't not necessarily refer to just "being
on one ski", but to the complete movement of the center of gravity over the
ski. Most people have a really hard time getting all the way over each ski
due to balance and timing issues. Even though you are only standing on one
ski, that does not mean you have complete weight transfer. That's what's
difficult about weight transfer in skating. The correct position is also
the least stable. Not many people can balance on one ski while standing
still, let alone while the ski is gliding.

As an example, watch a video of an intermediate skier taken from
directly in front or behind, and if you drop a plumb line from the skier's
center of mass you will generally see it swing slightly from the middle, but
it will never move over the ski. The skier is forced to fall off of that
leg by gravity and has no choice about when to push off. A skier with
proper weight transfer, however, will have the plumb line move to the leg,
showing that they have fully transferred weight and are "on top of" the ski.
From this position the skier can initiate the push off when they choose, as
they are not forced by gravity to move to the other ski.

Hope that makes sense.

-Nathan
http://nsavage.com

Old September 11th 03, 01:28 PM
Serge

Nathan -

There is a advanced way of skating called Double Push (orDP).
You will be curious to find out mechanics of it.

Use search engine and find info and MPG's.
May be it is a good example to show skiers that center of gravity can
be outside of gliding skate without falling sideways.
DP is the only way I skate, but explaining mechanics is even more
difficult.
Old September 11th 03, 04:52 PM
Nathan Schultz

"Taywood" wrote in message
snip

You make it sound so do-able. Cant wait for your book to come out.
Mike

That's because it IS so do-able. I hope that a book will help, but a good
coach can help people achieve this in ten minutes. Reading a thousand good
books on the subject might not be good enough to get the point across. My
point? Read books to learn the fundamentals of technique, but by far the
fastest and best way to improve technique is to attend some good clinics
and/or work with a few coaches.

I'm not saying this for self-promotion, but just sharing my experience.
Technique is too complicated to "get" while just reading a book and looking
at pictures. You need someone to watch and analyze your skiing, then tell
you what to do and demonstrate several different exercises to achieve it.
They need to tell you when you're doing it right and when you're doing it
wrong and show you how to correct it.

I recently did a camp down in Argentina where I coached two athletes for
9 days. At the end of the camp, we looked at the daily video we had taken
over the entire trip. It was shocking to see the progression in technique.
My skiers were laughing at the video of themselves taken from the first few
days and were surprised to see the differences. While they still have more
to learn, they could not have achieved this in 9 years of reading books and
working on their own.

-Nathan
http://nsavage.com

Old September 25th 03, 08:26 PM
Nathan Schultz

Default Weight transfer (was Inliner speed vs. Rollerski speed)

Ken,

Yup, you've got it. Higher turnover often comes at the expense of
weight transfer. You will notice, though, that most elite skiers are
transferring their weight much more than the average Joe. They are not
completely transferring their weight, but they are able to hold a flat ski,
even while not necessarily over it. For most people, though, this is a
long, long way down the road and being able to control the weight transfer
is the biggest way they can improve.

-Nathan
http://nsavage.com

"Ken Roberts" wrote in message
Nathan's explanation of complete weight transfer in skating helps a lot --
both what it is _and_ why it is important.

I like his point that the ability to balance over the gliding ski gives

the
skater a _choice_ about when to start the next stroke, rather than just
falling across onto the other ski. Given the number of intermediate

skaters
who do not have that choice, I can see why the point is so important.

Question: What's the difference between "complete weight transfer" and
"momentarily passing thru the Nose-Knees-Toes vertical alignment

position".

Observation: From looking at several videos from JanneG's website, it

looks
like some World Cup racers are exercising a different choice:
A choice _not_ to completely transfer their weight to over the gliding

ski.
They are fully capable of it, but sometimes they choose not to. (in order
to increase turnover frequency?)

I'm thinking that there's another stage of technique after the attainment

of
complete weight transfer: Learning to use it as one tool among others.

Ken