Rossi vs Alpina touring boots

Old June 4th 07, 02:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Larry

Default Rossi vs Alpina touring boots

Hi,

My Alpina touring boots are falling apart - I guess mainly because I
picked them up used at one of the rental places. I really liked the
cuff, but the boots felt too wide and a little too big (size 48), even
with extra socks.

The other point of reference are my Rossi X6 Skate (size 46) that I
use for rollerskiing and like them for their narrow fit, although I
probably wouldn't use them on snow when it's really cold as there's no
room for a warmer sock.

So, REI has Rossi X5 touring boot on sale, and I'm wondering whether
the narrowness of the skate boot translates into their touring lineup.
Also, is there much difference in the way Rossi and Alpina size their
boots? If they are similar, size 47 should allow a warm sock with a
relatively snug fit.

If anybody here tried both, I'd like to hear what you think.

Thanks!

Old June 4th 07, 06:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Melinda Shore

In article .com,
Larry wrote:
So, REI has Rossi X5 touring boot on sale, and I'm wondering whether
the narrowness of the skate boot translates into their touring lineup.

I have narrow heels and high arches and generally girlie
feet, and Rossignol pretty reliably fits me better than
other boots. At this point I've got their skate boots,
their touring boots, and their BC boots, and they all fit
quite similarly.

I had some old (*old*) Alpina touring boots that seemed to
be sized about the same as the Rossis, but they were old
(*old*). Otherwise I can't speak to the sizing question.
I take a 39 in most shoes and in the Rossis, as well - that
is to say, I find them pretty true-to-size.

Old June 5th 07, 02:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Randy Bryan

Hmmm. Find this thread interesting.
I wear Rossi's EXCLUSIVELY because I have a foot like an orangutan!
Wide, EEE...Rossi's form fitting system are the only ones out there with
the footbox wide enough to fit me. I do need to heat and treat the
recommended three times to get my foot in them. Don't usually wear super
warm socks though.

Old June 5th 07, 05:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jim[_3_]

I agree with Randy on this one. I've been using Rossi skate and
classic racing boots because they fit my wide foot better than
Alpinas.
-Jim

Old June 5th 07, 06:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Melinda Shore

In article ,
Randy Bryan wrote:
Rossi's form fitting system are the only ones out there with
the footbox wide enough to fit me. I do need to heat and treat the
recommended three times to get my foot in them.

Interesting. They fit me really well right out of the box.
Maybe it's that they work well for high volume feet in
general and because of the heat fitting thing are flexible
enough to adapt to either low and flat or high and narrow.
I like a lot of room in the toebox, but I have a terrible
time finding running shoes, ski boots, etc. where I feel
like my narrow heel and high arch are well-supported and
well-wrapped, and Rossis are pretty much it among the ski
boots I've tried.

Old June 7th 07, 05:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Randy Bryan

THOUGHT I remembered a pair of Alpinas. Still in the basement ski box.I
got them in a 'ski package" with some Atomic betas, along with some
forgettable poles I used for skate skiing. I could not get them to fit
my wide foot, even with a professional boot stretching and all. I'm sold
on the Rossis. I have the combis and the X-6s, and the X-7s. Im pretty
hard on boots. I CAN stuff my simian foot in Atomics, but they have a
long break-in period for me.I'm not even sure what model of Atomics I
have, the bright red skate thingies.

Randy Bryan wrote:
Hmmm. Find this thread interesting.
I wear Rossi's EXCLUSIVELY because I have a foot like an orangutan!
Wide, EEE...Rossi's form fitting system are the only ones out there with
the footbox wide enough to fit me. I do need to heat and treat the
recommended three times to get my foot in them. Don't usually wear super
warm socks though.

Old June 11th 07, 09:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Larry

Wow, this all is really interesting if not strange. Maybe my pare of
X6s is somehow different, but it is so snug that it almost curves
around the foot. On the other hand, when I tried the "narrow" Salomon
9, it felt and looked like a brick with too much room everywhere.

If anyone is using Rossi touring, how much bigger is it than your
Rossi skating?

Thanks!