Snow Blower to Get Out and Ski, or Shovel for Exercise?

Old January 13th 05, 12:54 AM
Gary Jacobson

Default Snow Blower to Get Out and Ski, or Shovel for Exercise?

Last year we bought a monster snow blower. Two cycle polluter, I know.

Used to be that I enjoyed shoveling. Pulling up with the abs., etc.

But as I grow older I want to blow the coup and get to snow to ski.
I guess this is more of a conceptual thing this year, but I trust others
have been faced with the same
mythical ethical icicle dilemma.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

Old January 13th 05, 03:00 AM
Camilo

"Gary Jacobson" wrote in message
news
Last year we bought a monster snow blower. Two cycle polluter, I know.

Used to be that I enjoyed shoveling. Pulling up with the abs., etc.

But as I grow older I want to blow the coup and get to snow to ski.
I guess this is more of a conceptual thing this year, but I trust others
have been faced with the same
mythical ethical icicle dilemma.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

My answer is yes. 8-)

Seriously, odd as it seems I like to shovel snow, as long as it doesn't
involve a lot of back work. Pushing it with the big scoop is OK by me and
it's fairly easy to sustain a 30 -40 minute in aerobic zone.

But when you need a snowblower (or a plow), you need it.

So, the answer is yes.

Cam

Old January 13th 05, 06:23 PM
Ralph

In article ,
"Gary Jacobson" wrote:

Last year we bought a monster snow blower. Two cycle polluter, I know.

Used to be that I enjoyed shoveling. Pulling up with the abs., etc.

But as I grow older I want to blow the coup and get to snow to ski.
I guess this is more of a conceptual thing this year, but I trust others
have been faced with the same
mythical ethical icicle dilemma.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

I think Andy Gerlach said it best:
"If your not skiing then the only thing you can do with snow is shovel
it." or something to that effect. While it's not 100% on I guess I'd
rather get the snow off wherever it has to be gotten off of and get out
to ski as soon as possible. That said I use a UP Snow Scoop instead of a
blower.
Ralph Thornton
Old January 13th 05, 09:41 PM

I do get bummed out by our rare big dumps because I have to shovel it
all off first, then I'm too tired to ski then the next day it melts.
Bleh!

I find myself sticking to the standard of fitness as to whether I can
shovel my drive or not. I wonder when I won't be able to do it. It's a
tough job as it is. I can see how it would easily be a heart-attacker.
It's just a little too much for one good hard outing---like 60 min's of
more than aerobic effort. Too much muscle. The HR isn't too high. It's
like 60 mins of steady curls and benchpresses. I'm fairly toast. But I
can tell I'm shaping up a bit. The key is to get it before it's too
deep or HEAVY, heaven forbid. Much less crusted or driven over.

I shovel my big dirt drive and I snowblow my parking lot
property---with a small blower that still takes an hour of fairly stout
effort.