La Plagne - New Year update.

Old January 5th 04, 10:30 PM
Greg Eaton

Default La Plagne - New Year update.

Out in La Plagne w/c 27/12, so here's a brief update. Excellent
sunshine over both weekends, with fresh snow on the December Sunday,
leading to champagne conditions on the Monday with excellent off
piste, especially around the favourite clapet. Further small snowfalls
on New Years Day, thus friday am was busy! Indeed the run down from
the top of the Roche de Mio was a bit like the M25 on a friday
afternoon (roadworks roound heathrow not withstanding!) . Generally
the snow conditions would be described as average at best. On the
higher runs (glacier) and the tops of the peaks, the conditions were
ok, but on the main runs down to the bellecote, centre etc, icy,
packed snow and some very worn bits were the order of the day. Saw
many blood wagons in action (2 plus per day), whether this was due to
the conditons or the packed nature of the slopes was difficult to
determine.

Off piste was good when fresh, but within 1 day was cut up and rocks
exposed. No blacks open at the start of the week, but odd one opened
towards the end. For the lower runs (down to montchaivn, les coches,
borselier etc) - these are dreadful, really stony, icy and no fun at
all - luckily my new to me board was only second hand or else I'd be
well ****ed off. If taking the Vanoise Express (link les arcs- la
plagne), no real option than to drop down into montchavin on the la
plagne side, which as mentioned above is grim. The link itself is
speedy, but unusually required "pre-booking" of a return trip time,
but this did not seem to be rigidly applied - I wonder what would have
happened if had been better weather therefore more crowded. On the la
plagne side, it's 2 runs and 4 lifts before you are at the ridge to
ski back to belle plagne or bellecote, so allow plentry of time as
walking up the red la salla is hard work (well so my mates told me!)
The trip showed the differences between les arcs and la plagne in
terms of the way in which they try harder in les arcs - e.g. piste
maps given out off the express and at the top of the lifts (rather
than hidden behind cash desks monsters in la plagne.) Also friendly
hand written boards at each lift queue with details of runs open etc -
surely not shades of US style service in france?

Venue - stayed in belle plagne, having previously been in 1800,
interesting and a bit of a rabbit warren to say the least. Possibly
the only venue where the ESF instructor takes his newbie group up
elevators rather than ski lifts! Still enough decent kit hire
(although standard of service and prices varied!), reasonable no of
bars and restaurants. Down side is the drop into bellecote, and the
fact that they haven't really improved the lift queues from here (25
minute wait for the arpette @ 4.15 one afternoon), and the relentless
queue for the roche de mio

Costs - pint 6-10 euro depending on bar or night club. Lunch up the
mountain from 7.50 for main course (omlette/frites etc) to 11.50
(steak hache) . 8 day paradaski pass 268 Euros (ouch!!) and possibly
not worth it as we ended up only going to les arcs on the one day.

Transport - having flown to la plagne previously and tried the
snowtrain to les arcs (expensive & dreadful), went with the driving
option. Luckily had decent weather both ways, and did the whole calais
- resort in 9 hours driving time. 4 up in diesel estate, could even be
described as pleasant.Despite not having booked a formula 1 style
place for the friday night - and with everytihng from chambery onwards
fully booked, found a room for the night in Lyon 'on arrival' for 26
euros each for family room in a more upmarket IBIS hotel. Total costs
were cost around £120 including ferry, petrol, tolls, parking,
insurance, chain hire, and 2 nights accomodation - significantly
cheaper than the cost of the Eurostar, and got 8 days skiing for the
same time away (more or less) compared with flying charter.

Good craic, well worth the hassle, and missed nothing workwise whilst
away!
Old January 5th 04, 10:51 PM
VisionSet

"Greg Eaton" wrote in message
om...
Down side is the drop into bellecote, and the
fact that they haven't really improved the lift queues from here (25
minute wait for the arpette @ 4.15 one afternoon), and the relentless
queue for the roche de mio

Agreed, bellecote has dreadful queues, but there really is no need to be in
them if you are at Belle Plagne. The chairs from belle plagne are excellent
and just one (or two?) are req'd to put you above plagne center.
The bubble from belle plagne is next to useless because of the queues coming
up from bellecote, but again the 2 chairs take you to roche de mio just as
quickly. Excellent 'centre' for the resort, the whole extent is skiable in
half a day.
Still one of my favourite resorts, with the Les Arc link, I'll have to go
back soon.

--
Mike W

Old January 6th 04, 06:44 PM
Me

"Greg Eaton" wrote in message
om...
........Down side is the drop into bellecote, and the
fact that they haven't really improved the lift queues from here (25
minute wait for the arpette @ 4.15 one afternoon), ......

"You're lakky". We queued for this lift in excess of 40 minutes a number of
times during the same week last year.

SF.