Jay W's 8/6 workout

Old August 20th 03, 05:33 PM
Sly D. Skeez

Default Jay W's 8/6 workout

Hey all, it's your uncle Jay W. here.

Two weeks ago I did a 24 mile hike with about 2450 ft of elevation
gain. If you throw in the total gain (due to climbing up and then down
before going up again) the gain was over 3000 ft. Julie Joy wanted me
to do a ballbuster to "calm me down" for our vacation. She didn't
count on me busting other things.

For those familiar with Glacier National Park, this was the Dawson
Pass/Pitamakan Pass hike out of Two Medicine, but I also threw in side
trips to Upper Two Medicine Lake, Twin Falls and No Name Lake.

I started at about 9:30 am with a backpack containing:
-2 35mm cameras
-Two 20 oz water bottles
-Food
-Rainsuit
-Long sleeve polypro
-First aid kit (packed by nurse Julie Joy)
-20 lbs of lead (just kidding, I'm not stupid)

Fortunately, I started in a light rain, or I would have never had
enough water to make the trip. At the top of Dawson Pass, the sun came
out and started to cook me, but there was also quite a wind, so I
wasn't warm, just getting a lot of sun. When I started to hike down
from Pitamakan Pass (about the 17 mile mark), that's when I was out of
the wind and then the temp shot up.

About this time, I ran into a triathlete who was running this route
(without the side trips) in the opposite direction. He asked if I
needed water, and I said yes, but looked at his Camelbak and told him
to keep it, because he'd need it just as much as I.

About 5 miles out (to finish the hike), my right foot slipped as I
jumped about a 3 ft drainage ditch. Out of instinct, I jammed my left
toes into the ground to keep my balance, but that also did a number on
my big toe. At first I felt pretty good about not going down, but the
my toe started hurting like hell, and I wasn't sure if I broke a toe
or just sprained it. About a mile down the trail I dunked it in a
stream. (Water is about 40 F/5 C out there.) I was getting a little
dingy from being dehydrated, so I also filled my water bottle and
drank about 10 oz/half liter.

Julie's first aid kit didn't didn't help me with a toe, but if I had
fallen on the rocks and peeled back some skin, then I had the
equipment.

To make a long story shorter, it hurt like hell to hike that final 5
miles, and the toe turned really dark purple, but I don't think I
broke it. Four days later I hiked another pass (10 miles) without too
much pain. So the hike out on a sprained toe turned the thing black,
but that was it. Also, the water was fine.

8.5 hrs for the workout.

Jay (jammin) Wenner

-Next adventu Siyeh Pass
Old August 20th 03, 07:02 PM
Rob Bradlee

He asked if I
needed water, and I said yes, but looked at his
Camelbak and told him
to keep it, because he'd need it just as much as I.

For such long hikes you might want to consider buying
a water pump that let's you pump clean water out of
streams filtering out the bacteria and other bad
things.

I jammed my left
toes into the ground to keep my balance, but that
also did a number on
my big toe. At first I felt pretty good about not

Sounds like you sprained the ligaments. I've done
this several times on long trail runs. Be careful
with that toe. Don't over do it, and as it heals work
on flexibility. I have some serious bone spurs
(calcification) in my big toe and MTP joint in my
right foot from jamming it on trail runs. And now it
limits my classic stride.

8.5 hrs for the workout.

Sounds like a great epic adventure. But is that all
the vertical you can get out there?

Have fun!
Rob Bradlee
(Did a great 3 hour skate roll all the way around Lake
Sunapee in NH yesterday with my pal Joe Bouscaren.
Look out Torbjorn and Gordo!)