Running = Stupid

Old October 29th 07, 02:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Yabahoobs

Default Running = Stupid

On Oct 29, 8:21 am, "helibrdr" wrote:
Body parts are like car parts - there are only so many miles in them before
they wear down or break and need replacing. Why waste those miles on
running????? The high impact, usually 4-5 times body weight, on each stride
impacts not only the knees but also, ankles, hips, etc.... Plus the previous
note on back problems etc..

Again, why waste your precious miles on running? There are many lower impact
cross training you can do until you get back onto where we want to be - the
snow!

BTW - still no snow in the midwest - Hope UT and CO do well this year.

OT - headed to Powder Mountain, UT with the family for Xmas - any
recommendations???/

There's no guarantees on solid coverage at Powder Mtn at that time.
Cross your fingers.

Old October 29th 07, 03:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

helibrdr wrote:

Body parts are like car parts - there are only so many miles in them before
they wear down or break and need replacing.

Unlike car parts, some body parts (e.g. bones and muscles) get stronger
with use. Others don't. And some activities just wear out sensitive
parts like joints and ligaments. Running on pavement is a good way to
trash your joints. So is bashing moguls.

BTW - still no snow in the midwest - Hope UT and CO do well this year.

They're making snow at Brule. Target opening date is Nov 9th. You can
see a picture of the lovely white stuff at http://www.skibrule.com/view.cfm

Won't be long now.
//Walt
Old October 29th 07, 10:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

CParker wrote:
I think you are foolish to wait. The have a new procedure that is a
partial replacement that is giving excellent results. Walking the next
day, out of hospital in 2 or 3 days and resuming full activities in 3-4
weeks. No running or high impact stuff though. You could be skiing
without pain this year.

Charley

JQ wrote:
I ruined my knees from running, I was a national level middle distance
runner many years ago. I now cannot run, jump or do anything above
low impact and that has to be tamed. I need both knees replaced but
will wait till I cannot take the pain and loose most of my mobility.
I still day dream about running even after all these years. I can
roller blade only on very smooth surfaces, I can ride my bike with no
knee pains and wish I could ski with no knee pains.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

What Charlie said.
Old October 29th 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
JQ

"CParker" wrote in message
I think you are foolish to wait. The have a new procedure that is a partial
replacement that is giving excellent results. Walking the next day, out of
hospital in 2 or 3 days and resuming full activities in 3-4 weeks. No
running or high impact stuff though. You could be skiing without pain this
year.

Charley

Thanks, for the advice there are a few reasons I do not get the knee
replacement at this time. One being my doctor had advised me to wait as
long as I could as the technology is always getting better with new and
better materials being used. As long as I can get around and do my work I
can hold off. I just need to keep in mind my limitation.

VtSkier you are right about favoring the knee and avoiding the rest of the
body, I have done and am doing that. I need to work out the rest of the
body on a consistent basis which I have been neglecting. My only saving
grace is my work keeps my upper body and legs in a little condition.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old October 30th 07, 10:36 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
ant[_8_]

helibrdr wrote:
OT - headed to Powder Mountain, UT with the family for Xmas - any
recommendations???/

Yep. awesome local instructor called Craig. he's an older guy, got his level
II a few years back, but he knows that place like the back of his hand. If
you are up to it, he can show you the most amazing stuff off the Cat. If I'd
skiied that place without him, I'd have concluded it was flat and boring.
But spending the day with him, I reckon it's awesome.

And you have to visit the weird little coffee place at the bottom of the
hill, in the town.

--
ant
Don't try to reply to my email addy:

Old October 30th 07, 11:18 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
helibrdr

"ant" wrote in message
helibrdr wrote:
OT - headed to Powder Mountain, UT with the family for Xmas - any
recommendations???/

Yep. awesome local instructor called Craig. he's an older guy, got his
level II a few years back, but he knows that place like the back of his
hand. If you are up to it, he can show you the most amazing stuff off the
Cat. If I'd skiied that place without him, I'd have concluded it was flat
and boring. But spending the day with him, I reckon it's awesome.

And you have to visit the weird little coffee place at the bottom of the
hill, in the town.

Great! Just what I was looking for. My wife wanted a couple of days
instruction as well. The boys and I were eyeing the Cat terrain. I just hope
the weather cooperates! Thanks.

Old October 30th 07, 11:47 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
ant[_8_]

helibrdr wrote:
"ant" wrote in message
helibrdr wrote:
OT - headed to Powder Mountain, UT with the family for Xmas - any
recommendations???/

Yep. awesome local instructor called Craig. he's an older guy, got
his level II a few years back, but he knows that place like the back
of his hand. If you are up to it, he can show you the most amazing
stuff off the Cat. If I'd skiied that place without him, I'd have
concluded it was flat and boring. But spending the day with him, I
reckon it's awesome. And you have to visit the weird little coffee place
at the bottom of
the hill, in the town.

Great! Just what I was looking for. My wife wanted a couple of days
instruction as well. The boys and I were eyeing the Cat terrain. I
just hope the weather cooperates! Thanks.

To flesh this out, a bunch of us descended on Pow Mow 2 seasons back. I and
the organiser were teaching at Park City, another was at Deer Valley, and
another at the Canyons. Craig was a mate of my friend from PC. It hadn't
snowed in about a week. well, did they roll out the red carpet or what!
Craig is an older chap, friendly and he knows his stuff. (this was all free,
btw, but boy oh boy we'd have paid for this). so we went up the cat and
didn't see the resort for 2 hours. Just lovely. and then he took us inbounds
places we never found again, we hunted but just could not work out where
these places were.

It's a whole different resort with a local. Quite magical.
Knowing where we were from, he took us to the one point where you can see PC
and DV. now that was weird!

Old October 31st 07, 09:11 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
MoonMan

JQ wrote:
I ruined my knees from running, I was a national level middle
distance runner many years ago. I now cannot run, jump or do
anything above low impact and that has to be tamed. I need both
knees replaced but will wait till I cannot take the pain and loose
most of my mobility. I still day dream about running even after all
these years. I can roller blade only on very smooth surfaces, I can
ride my bike with no knee pains and wish I could ski with no knee
pains. JQ
Dancing on the edge

Sadly I'm not convinced, a mate of mine was race training up to a couple of
months before he had a partial, they told him he'd be back on skis in 4 to 6
weeks, now 6 months later he still hasn't recovered enough to ski, says he's
given up on the idea of ever racing again, and is going to concentrate on
diving

--
Chris *:-)

Rule 1 - Me first
Rule 2 - Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!
Rule 3 - Skis at the bottom, Head at the top!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

A Snowboarder Does Something Stupid Jeff Alpine Skiing 32 March 21st 06 04:05 PM
I'm stupid but adorable nedelec Nordic Skiing 1 April 2nd 05 01:32 PM
OT - Stupid laws Sue Alpine Skiing 8 January 15th 05 06:45 PM
Stupid Americans! -- Stupid... Stupid... STUPID!!! __________-+__ navqicas R Ebert Backcountry Skiing 0 November 7th 04 07:55 PM
Stupid stuff people have said to me 32 degrees Nordic Skiing 13 February 24th 04 08:51 PM