Who is still skiing?

Old April 3rd 05, 01:00 AM
Mike H.

2 April 2004. Gatineau Park. Took a short skate in the rain from Asticou
to Pink Lake Hill and back -- pavement showing on the hill making descent
dangerous.

Surprised to meet some other 10 die-hard skiers.

Time to clean up the skis ... may be not ... the snow may be still there at
P10 next week.

Old April 4th 05, 02:10 PM

Fantastic ski conditions at the Mammoth Marathon yesterday. Great
temps, perfect snow for the entire 42 km. course, excellent
competition. Oh, and there was the matter of that little 60 mph wind,
but at least the snow was superb. Pretty amazing how a headwind like
that makes you feel like you're skiing uphill 90% of the time, and how,
just like biking, it seems that whatever direction you go the wind is
in your face. Definitely made for a drafting-oriented race. But the big
question of the day was: Where was Mr. "Ski Exuberantly," Hank
Garretson? Hank - did you race and then disappear before the awards?

Results will be posted on farwestnordic.org as soon as we sort out the
problems with our email server.

Oh, and congratulations to frequent-poster Sknyski for another
spectacular win on Saturday at Tom's Classic in Bear Valley. BT: How
long did you ski behind that lady before taking off and leaving her in
the dust?

Mark

Old April 4th 05, 03:49 PM
sknyski

Yes, not bad for a hacker. as far as my competition, she had
everything going for her, but I managed to nip her at the
end.....almost half my age, skied in college, lives in Bear and skis
all the time. Of course, I am fatter than she is, so I go faster on
the downhills.

Not an impressive win. Had Craig not bolted for Mammoth just as I was
arriving, I think I would have had to settle for 2nd.

At the awards ceremony, right after I received More Rossi Crap from
Paul, he made a comment that was basically to the effect of "had anyone
really good shown up, I would have gotten my doors blown off". I don't
think he meant it that way, but it was pretty funny.

bt

Old April 4th 05, 04:58 PM
Terje Mathisen

This weekend we went back up to our mountain cabin, above Rjukan, and
the skiing conditions were just amazing:

The perfect crust conditions we got last monday had been maintained all
week, on friday night when we arrived we could simply walk up the last
steep hill to the cabin.

Saturday was the offical crust cruising day, any old tracks were things
to be avoided since they could only trip you up. :-)

Terje
--
-
Old April 4th 05, 07:20 PM
Lars

15inches of new snow on April 3rd. Base Depth X feet. Sounds veeery good.
http://www.mammothmountain.com/ski_ride/#
How are the XC tracks around Mammoth Lakes?
Why stop grooming XC on April 17th if still plenty of snow?

"Derick Fay" wrote in message roups.com...
Another 18 inches dumped last night, and it's snowing again

lightly this evening here at Tahoe Donner.

Alas I submitted a paper to a conference in Santa Fe the weekend of
April 8-9 on the assumption that skiing would probably be over by
then....

Even with all this snow, the folks at Tahoe Donner XC said they plan to
close next weekend--they may groom some trails the weekend or two after
for season pass holders as they pack up. And Auburn Ski Club closes
biathlon weekend (4/16-17). Haven't checked the others but it seems
that the end of (groomed) skiing is on the horizon.

Old April 4th 05, 11:17 PM
Booker C. Bense

Old April 4th 05, 11:34 PM

Oh, come on Bryant - don't sell yourself short. You came in first in
2000, first in 2001 (beating Craig Tatum), second in 2002, second in
2003, and first in 2004 (beating Tatum AGAIN). They should call it
Bryant's Race, not Tom's Race.

One day Bear Valley will figure out that maybe it's better not to have
that race on the same weekend as the Mammoth Marathon so maybe someone
will go down and give you a little competition. I had all I could to
keep Craig behind me at Mammoth on Sunday. If he actually trained, he'd
be scary again.

Mark

Old April 5th 05, 02:23 AM
Hank Garretson

At 13:03 4 04 05, Lars wrote:

15inches of new snow on April 3rd. Base Depth X feet. Sounds veeery good.
http://www.mammothmountain.com/ski_ride/#
How are the XC tracks around Mammoth Lakes?
Why stop grooming XC on April 17th if still plenty of snow?

Yes the XC tracks are veeery good here. Grooming stops 16 April because
Tamarack Cross Country Ski Center permit from the Forest Service expires
every year on 16 April. Not sure how they choose that date but that is what
it has been for years. Anyway by that time, after five solid months of
veeery good skiing, we are ready to do other things. For those who want
more skiing, go-anywhere crust skate skiing will be superb for another two
months.

Ski Exuberantly,

Hank

Mammoth Lakes, California

Old April 6th 05, 12:19 AM
nordvind

Just came back from a 4 hour drive to West Virginia. Still some trails
with old snow, but the best was the still substantial machine made base
at an unnamed Alpine resort that had just closed for the season.
Ahhhh, illicit pleasures!

BarryT wrote:
"Lars" wrote in message
om...
ah, every year a posting with this title comes. A bit early now....
BUT according to http://www.fis-ski.com/ the last XC race of the
season is at April 23rd.

http://www.fis-ski.com/uk/604/1228.h..._suchsector=CC

I'M THERE! are you?

I skied last Saturday and Sunday mornings and spent the afternoons on

my
road bike... Looks like I'll be doing less and less skiing and more

and
more riding in the coming weeks!

BarryT

Old April 6th 05, 07:22 PM
Travis

Rollerskiing season is just getting started!

Tai Chi Skiing yunlong Alpine Skiing 8 December 17th 04 03:50 PM
Masters Skiing Camps Nordic Skiing Instruction Nordic Skiing 0 November 1st 04 12:47 PM
RFC - The Nordic Skiing Project the Nordic Skiing Project Nordic Skiing 2 September 24th 04 05:50 PM
Skiing in Utah BRL Nordic Skiing 5 November 25th 03 06:43 PM