Help! Sking @ Jackson Hole march 5th to march 14th...

Old February 9th 04, 11:58 PM
klaus

Default Help! Sking @ Jackson Hole march 5th to march 14th...

AstroPax wrote:
IMO, JH just isn't what it used to be... too many assholes live and
ski there now.

That happened to one of my favorite resorts, too. ;

-klaus

Old February 10th 04, 12:11 AM
AstroPax

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 00:58:53 +0000 (UTC), klaus
wrote:

That happened to one of my favorite resorts, too. ;

Yes, such a waste...and to think BCC and Solitude used to be such a
nice place...before the condos, Solitude Village, development, and
all.

-Astro

Old February 10th 04, 01:43 AM
klaus

wrote:

That happened to one of my favorite resorts, too. ;

Yes, such a waste...and to think BCC and Solitude used to be such a
nice place...before the condos, Solitude Village, development, and
all.

Solitude has never been one of my favorite resorts. But, you got a
point there. I say we take out all the lifts and condos. All in
favor?? Although I must confess, I doubled my resort days of the year
this weekend. And I like having a liquor store within walking or
skiing distance, 45 minutes r.t. in good weather.

I'd still say though, that either of the BCC resorts are far lower key
than the LCC resorts with less assholes and development. Okay.. maybe
Brighton has more assholes, but from the opposite end of the
spectrum.

At least you can still buy single rides over here.

-klaus

Old February 10th 04, 01:49 AM
Jeff Davis

In article ,
Atomik Alien wrote:
I would like to know what it is like to ski at Jackson Hole in early
spring. I am planning to be there from march 5th to march 14th. I do
like steep terrain, glades and most of all powder! I am worried that
at that time there won't be much powder left, can you please confirm
that these dates are still good for powder snow?

Last year was a warm winter, and we didn't get a dump of light, low water
content powder until after the 1st of March. It *could* dump that kind
of snow this year, and early March is historically much more powdery than
late March in the Hole. There will be a hell of a lot of snow left the
first half of March, whether any fresh snow falls during that time
period is impossible to predict this far out.

I am also planning to go to the Best Western in Jackson also... Is
this a good enough hotel? Anybody tried it before?

Tourists call it, "The Bear Lodge." Its decorated with wood carvings of
Black Bears, (albeit, I'm sure the Utah boys will challenge this statement).
It's not the 4 Seasons, and it doesn't cost $435 per night either. Its
good enough I suppose given the fact that everything is relative. It is
better than the Motel 6 and Super 8, but not as swanky as the 4 Seasons.
How's that? The bus to Teton Village stops right in front too.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old February 10th 04, 01:55 AM
AstroPax

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 02:43:31 +0000 (UTC), klaus
wrote:

I'd still say though, that either of the BCC resorts are far lower key
than the LCC resorts with less assholes and development. Okay.. maybe
Brighton has more assholes, but from the opposite end of the
spectrum.

At least you can still buy single rides over here.

Actually, I do like Solitude, very much so.

However, it seems to me that there is more residential development in
BCC than in LCC.

Sure, LCC has more commercial concrete, tram towers, landing pads,
etc., but it seems like there is an awful lot of new houses up in
BCC/Silver Fork lately.

Regardless, I might go for a Solitude season pass next season, instead
of Alta. How about that....another Asshole skiing at Solitude!

Actually, I need some photographic variety.

-Astro

---
maximum exposure f/2.8
http://www.xmission.com/~hound/astro/index.htm
---

Old February 10th 04, 01:58 AM
Jeff Davis

In article ,
lal_truckee wrote:
Atomik Alien wrote:
Jeff should chime in. March is still snow season, so basically it
depends on the weather. Luck of the draw. I've had some spectacular
March days there, some so nicely stormy that most folks stayed indoors
and even the tram wasn't crowded to start the day. Of course I also
froze my ass off.

I chimed in. Its Going Off out there dude. I've been a little preoccupied
to be publishing articles on Usenet News. Good advice on accomodations,
but the Low Ball season is right around the corner. JHMR markets
packaged deals with hotels in March, and especially advertizes heavily
in the South East. There is a whole consortium who offer cut rate
accomodations in March, since it is an East Face, and they hosed snow
in October, November, and December, so we could get off the upper
mountain the end of March down Gros Ventre. So Francois may have a
whole accomodation/ticket package locked in and can't head over to
the Anvil or shoulder his skis up to the King.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old February 10th 04, 02:05 AM
Jeff Davis

In article ,
uglymoney wrote:
miles away) suggested that they are charging ten bucks to park in the
Village. This is just for the close in parking right? Two years ago
it was still free if you rode in on the haywagon behind the truck, and
I asssume that is how it still is?

Nope. The new free parking is the Stilson lot, located at the junction of
West Wyoming 22 and 390, (the Village Road). So the nearest free parking
is 7 miles away almost to ****ing Wilson. I have friends who've worked
for the Ski Corp for almost 20 years that bought season parking passes
becase they refused to ride the shuttle bus up from the Stilson Lot.

The Ranch Lot, (which you used to ride the "haywagon" to), is the cheap
parking at $5 or $300 for the season now.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old February 10th 04, 02:06 AM
klaus

Jeff Davis wrote:
There will be a hell of a lot of snow left the
first half of March,

Hmmm.. different here. April 1 has about the max snowpack of the
season from my guess here. Maybe 3-5 powder days in April, 1-2 in
May... Damn lucky to get one in June, but not impossible.

period is impossible to predict this far out.

Tourists call it, "The Bear Lodge." Its decorated with wood carvings of
Black Bears, (albeit, I'm sure the Utah boys will challenge this
statement).

Now now.. We Utah boys have laid off.

-klaus

Old February 10th 04, 02:09 AM
Jeff Davis

In article ,
lal_truckee wrote:
uglymoney wrote:
Why is it that all ski articles in
major papers are aimed at such a small minority of people who are
wealthy and willing to spend it on a room

Because the papers don't write those articles; the high priced room
consortia commissions the articles from PR pros and ships them off to
newspapers who file the names off and add their own byline.

Yep. And here they are ****ing with friends of mine who were born and
raised in Jackson Hole before the Ski Corp began construction. There is
a bunch of pressure to conform to the collective. The Ski Corp has to
defray the cost of landing fees at Jackson Hole Airport, so they subsidize
the Air Carriers and **** the innkeepers to pay for it.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old February 10th 04, 02:11 AM
Jeff Davis

In article ,
AstroPax wrote:
IMO, JH just isn't what it used to be... too many assholes live and
ski there now.

Yep. I'm an asshole, and I live and ski here now.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Suggestions for accomodation in Jackson Hole Janet North American Ski Resorts 3 February 22nd 04 05:11 PM
Jackson Hole Sucks Jeff Davis Alpine Skiing 304 February 15th 04 05:23 PM
Jackson Hole Switters Snowboarding 3 December 2nd 03 11:46 AM
Jackson Hole WY 2004 Ski rentals and snowmobiling? Spider North American Ski Resorts 1 November 19th 03 11:27 PM
Jackson Hole Helen Montfort North American Ski Resorts 3 October 28th 03 03:12 PM