Kick bike?

Old April 3rd 08, 02:15 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
gr

Default Kick bike?

I was stuck some time ago when leaning on a full shopping cart and
running along, how much it feels like gliding. I am thinking a kick bike
(or something else??) may also give that feeling. After trying "off
road" big tire roller skis last year with very poor glide (like going up
hill all the time) I think it may be time to try something like this.
What are the various types if wheeled things in this category that will
work well on streets, compacted dirt and stone dust surfaces?
gr
Old April 3rd 08, 02:24 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Melinda Shore

In article ,
gr wrote:
What are the various types if wheeled things in this category that will
work well on streets, compacted dirt and stone dust surfaces?

If you're interested in going over uneven surfaces, try
www.diggler.com, www.belizebike.com, www.kickbike.com, and
www.dogscooter.com (they also carry Diggler). I have to say
that it's good exercise but it's really nothing at all like
skiing, not even like doing "scooter" exercises on one ski.
But it's good exercise and it's kind of fun.

Old April 3rd 08, 08:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
jeff potter

On Apr 2, 10:24 pm, (Melinda Shore) wrote:
In article ,

gr wrote:
What are the various types if wheeled things in this category that will
work well on streets, compacted dirt and stone dust surfaces?

If you're interested in going over uneven surfaces, try www.diggler.com, www.belizebike.com, www.kickbike.com, andwww.dogscooter.com(they also carry Diggler). I have to say
that it's good exercise but it's really nothing at all like
skiing, not even like doing "scooter" exercises on one ski.

I've used kickbikes offroad and they seem to be fairly good for "kick"
training. As you get onto pavement and go faster it's more about "big
swinging"---even so I still detect quite a bit of nordic fitness in
them!

We have a wide/knobby tire kickbike that's great for dirt/sand but
isn't exactly an offroad version. With narrow light tires it's great
for smooth pavement. Ours is a http://strideglide.com. $350, made in
the USA---I suspect it's the only USA-made kickbike! Made in Michigan
in fact! I think that's at least what you pay for adult kickbikes in
general.

I have a report on various kickbikes at outyourbackdoor.com, plus I've
put up a couple brief YouTubes about them.

Hey, "GR," did you try the Jenex Aero 150 rollerski for dirt roads?
I've heard that they're great. I have the 125's and they've been
working great for years now that the tire situation is improved---
however, they're not for dirt. They're great on chipseal, though. I
dunno if there's a classic version of the 150 for dirt classic, if
that's what you want---there might be.

I'd also REALLY suggest looking into the CAT SKIS. People seem to be
really digging them---they're great for ALL surfaces and trails!
http://www.planetxc.com/ I haven't tried em myself but would like to.

--JP

But it's good exercise and it's kind of fun.

Old April 4th 08, 04:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
David Dermott

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008, gr wrote:

I was stuck some time ago when leaning on a full shopping cart and running
along, how much it feels like gliding. I am thinking a kick bike (or
something else??) may also give that feeling.

Kickbiking as summer cross-training for classic XC skiing was
mentioned before but here is a repeat.
Richard Van Camp, an American living in Finland, started kickbiking
to improve his Vasaloppet time. His experience he
http://www.potku.fi/kn/arch/Talvi_winter2003.htm

--
"Everyone has summer, but winter is a privilege for the few."
- Nils Vikander in "NATURE FIRST: Outdoor Life the Friluftsliv Way"

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
Fun on ice and snow: http://www.dermott.ca/ski/index.html