To pole or not to pole

Old January 17th 05, 02:01 PM
Walt

MoonMan wrote:

I forget who wrote:

Also, if poles don't help balance, why do
downhill racers carry them?

Two main reasons,

1) to get out of the start gate.
2) (in slalom) to protect oneselfe from the slalom poles.

And let's not forget

3) FIS regulations

--
//-Walt
//
Old January 17th 05, 03:01 PM
MoonMan

Walt wrote:
MoonMan wrote:

I forget who wrote:

Also, if poles don't help balance, why do
downhill racers carry them?

Two main reasons,

1) to get out of the start gate.
2) (in slalom) to protect oneselfe from the slalom poles.

And let's not forget

3) FIS regulations

Oh yeah, you have to have at least three items (ski's and poles) when you
pass the finish gate to get a time
Forgot about that.

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old January 17th 05, 03:05 PM
Dave M

yunlong wrote:

mercy snip

Terribly tedious tendentious twaddle.

Dave M.

Old January 17th 05, 04:08 PM
yunlong

Bob Lee wrote:
yunlong wrote:

Bob Lee wrote:
I feel like playing around with yunlong because he wrote:

Jim Strohm wrote:
[...]
Which means -- poles give balance,

Not really, balance is held at the feet/skis, not at the poles,

Couple of points. Balance is in the core - the abdomen and

center of
gravity, not the feet.

The center of gravity is supported/held up by the feet.

Only the feet of fools in funny shoes!

So what do you think supported/held up your center of gravity? "feet of
fools in funny shoes"?

Also, if poles don't help balance, why do
downhill racers carry them?

Security crutches, maybe.

Indeed. for without the crutches of security, falling lacks wisdom.

Even worse when you fall due to tangling with poles, it is lacked
wisdom before the falling.

and poling breaks the traction (so is the focus) of the
turning force and produces unstable turns.

Ex-****ing-scuse me?

You are "ex-****ing-scused," nevertheless, watch your foul-mouth
language.

Perhaps tiny mind is unable to comprehend the depths of my
sincere incredulity?

Or just you a small mind with a foul mouth.

Proper poling increases turn stability...

Not really, the pole-planting is to create an instability so the

skier
can initiate the edge changing...

and the
first part of that sentence gets a bunny with a pancake on its

head.

Not if you teach them stand properly on the skis.

Even a properly create instable stance will receive the bunny with a
pancake on its head. You must show the skills for its contradiction.

When you lower your center of gravity, you won't tumble; it's only
common sense. The question is now how do you stand on the skis?

Ski like skate, no poles are needed.

If you could skate in powder or crud, or on a slope over
40degrees, then what you wrote might not be viewed as bull****.

I did, as flat-boarding.

But until then...

Let's hear it what skills you have to handle the "powder or
crud, on a slope over 40 degrees"? How to use poles?

My skills is such that the beginners will show inability to
follow my pole use in powder or crud on a slope over 40 degrees.

It sounded like all mouth skills, how do you turn on the cruds again?

Until you learn to use your poles properly, you're going
to have a difficult time becoming a proficient skiier.

Not really, the most proficient skiers I see are those ski
patrollers ski without poles.

I assume that's because you only ski on easier slopes.

You may assume, even self-deceiving.

The only fool here is not to believe that patrollers obvious.

Or the only fool here is to deny the obvious.

If you'd ski
difficult terrain, you'll find the patrollers using poles -
unless they're carrying something or tieing rope.

Yup, "the most proficient skiers I see are those ski patrollers ski
without poles."

Are they not the poles of idiots? That cannot see through skulls?

You cannot read, or you don't read beyond your skull?

I had my students threw away their poles already.

But you have them pick them up at some point...

No, among hundreds students I taught, only one teenager
would like to keep his poles.

You must have sold the others for reasons of foolishness.

Or they smart enough to follow the good thing when they see one.

or do you only teach beginners?

So you think people ski without poles are beginners?

The cost of polarity is proficiency.

Huh? Tongue-tie?

IS

Bob

IS

Bob

Old January 17th 05, 04:45 PM
yunlong

AstroPax wrote:
On 16 Jan 2005 20:07:48 -0800, "yunlong"
wrote:

Of course, because they can do "all-terrain" without using poles.

O.K., dumblong, one more time.

Maybe you might actually answer a few of my simple questions this

time
instead of just ignoring them. After all, you are a professional ski
instructor, right?

Poles are a necessity for more than just planting and coordinating
turns. [Fact]

What else? And think about what you can do now with the free hands.

What if you are wiped-out in near-armpit deep powder, and have
to release a heel binding in order to "swim" out, because one
of your skis is acting like an anchor?

But the problem is, due to the orientation of the ski, you
can't twist out of the toe. Nor can you reach the binding(s)
with your hand.

How in the hell are you supposed to release a binding without
a ski pole?

We have been through that, you don't release your ski in "near-armpit
deep powder," it is a good way to loose your ski. The solution is to
remove most the snow on top of the ski (with your hands, and don't
loose your poles in that snow; well, without poles you don't have this
problem), then roll downhill "upside down" until your skis come out the
surface.

What if you are trapped upside-down, head first orientation in a deep
tree well, and can't twist out of a toe. Nor can you reach the
binding(s) with your hand. The only way to release is by using a

pole
to pressure a heel binding.

Bend your knees to unstuck the skis, and move your "whole" body to
unjam yourself.

Again, one more ****ing time, how in the hell are you supposed
to release an unreachable heel binding without a ski pole?

Simple, step on it with another ski, or borrow a ski pole from a cute
female?

Both of these situations have happened to me, and if not for
your obsolete and useless ski poles, I would have been ****ed.

[Fact]

Well, you have to go with the "line" and don't stop in the powder, if
you do, you may be stuck in it.

Also, I would like to see your poor student skiers attempting to
maneuver in low density, waste deep powder, or traverse along the
flats of a narrow and rutted track (unable to skate) without the
benefit of ski poles. Good luck.

"all-terrain" without poles, my ass. [Fact]

Yup, it's your ass.

Bwaaahaahaaaha !!!

Don't be silly.

IS

-Astro

Old January 17th 05, 07:14 PM
snoig

Hey Astro,

You forgot, you need poles to help probe for stupid instructor avalanche
victims who forgot their poles, fell over and caused a slide that they got
buried in.

Why even bother arguing with guy, he's obviously just another clueless
instructor with no idea that real skiing happens once you get off of groomed
runs or even in areas that are not lift served. I'll bet he doesn't even
own a beacon.

snoig

Old January 17th 05, 07:15 PM
LePheaux

"Richard Henry" wrote in message

"yunlong" wrote in message
oups.com...
Bob Lee wrote:

Proper poling increases turn stability...

Not really, the pole-planting is to create an instability so the skier
can initiate the edge changing...

Actually, I have found that moving the pole as if it were to be planted,
without actually planting it, is sufficient to complete the act. Or at
least initiate it.

All attempts at humor aside, phantom pole planting gets the body into the
right position for turning. I usually don't bother to actually plant the
pole with any force unless I am in an extreme situation (going slow on the
steep, for instance) where not making the turn would have serious
consequences.

and the
first part of that sentence gets a bunny with a pancake on its head.

Not if you teach them stand properly on the skis.

Whoosh!

Ski like skate, no poles are needed.

If you could skate in powder or crud, or on a slope over 40
degrees, then what you wrote might not be viewed as bull****.

I did, as flat-boarding.

Some might interpret that staement to mean that flat-boarding is bs.

tai-chi/flatboarding is BS

because Some dumbyoung, errrr some youngdumb.is just a TROLL
this guy has proven the only thing he knows about skiing is what he read in
some very old ski mags.

Old January 17th 05, 07:23 PM
LePheaux

"yunlong" wrote in message

The only fool here is not to believe that patrollers obvious.

Or the only fool here is to deny the obvious.

The only thing obvious here is that your obviously a fool who doesn't
believe the obvious facts that keep getting in the way of your trolling.
1
you don't know how to ski beyond the beginner level.
2
you don't teach anything due to your inability to communicate. you yoda like
talk.

Old January 18th 05, 02:54 AM
Mary Malmros

rosco wrote:

How about ski instructors... any of you recommend skiing without poles
other than as a drill?

Most of the kids I teach aren't using poles, _yet_. A lot of that has
to do with their size and stage of development of physical coordination
and whatnot, though. Put another way, if I were teaching adults who
were skiing at the level of the kids I taught today, I'd have 'em using
poles, but with the kids I think it would have just created confusion.

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old January 18th 05, 02:57 AM
Mary Malmros

MoonMan wrote:

David Harris wrote:

"yunlong" wrote in
groups.com:

Also, if poles don't help balance, why do
downhill racers carry them?

Security crutches, maybe.

Okay, following along this increasingly silly thread, this line
jumped out at me.

First, I wouldn't restrict the question to downhillers, but include
ALL alpine racers. Every one of them. For ever.

Two main reasons,

1) to get out of the start gate.
2) (in slalom) to protect oneselfe from the slalom poles.

Nonsense to both. The start gate could easily be constructed to perform
the function that the poles are used from in the start, and the
"protection" from the slalom gates is performed (in part) by the guard
on the top of the poles. You could accomplish the same thing by
carrying a small, similarly-shaped piece of plastic, not an entire pole.

pole length steve Nordic Skiing 6 December 22nd 04 05:21 AM
Pole Planting. Mark A Framness Alpine Skiing 4 March 26th 04 05:50 PM
Palm side exit point for pole length measure -JP- Nordic Skiing 1 March 22nd 04 04:02 AM
pole length question Nevalainen, Eric Nordic Skiing 8 February 2nd 04 04:11 AM
Infinity Pole Report - Didn't Snap It Dell Todd Nordic Skiing 0 January 5th 04 03:46 PM