Jay and Burke in trouble?

Old September 11th 16, 03:44 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

Default Jay and Burke in trouble?

Richard Henry wrote:
The Blue Angels appearances at the annual air shows at Pt Mugu and
Miramar were always a break in routine - even 20-year men would stop
and watch the maneuvers. In 1978, a couple of years after I got out
of the Navy and while I was working just a mile or so south or
Miramar one of the jets crashed during arrival maneuvers - the pilot
was performing a low-altitude slow roll close to the runway and
misjudged his position. The plane was destroyed in a fireball and
the pilot killed.

The show went on as scheduled the next day.

I was in my yard and there was a fly over of 4
Suspect it was the increased 9-11 security measures.
Old September 11th 16, 01:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

That sounds like the situation at the show I was attending Richard. They flew down the runway and rolled up at the end.....except that one. Large fireball. It took awhile for confirmation, but with the missing man formation and flyby we all knew what had happened. It was the 50th anniversary of Hill, show. I don't know if they carried on or what. It could have even been the last day scheduled anyway.

There are flyby's of the U of U stadium all the time. Most often F-16's but sometimes others. Living a mile south along the orientation of the field is a great spot to see those. The Olympic Opening Ceremonies were a special one that I remember.

Old September 12th 16, 02:40 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Richard Henry wrote:
The Blue Angels appearances at the annual air shows at Pt Mugu and
Miramar were always a break in routine - even 20-year men would stop
and watch the maneuvers. In 1978, a couple of years after I got out
of the Navy and while I was working just a mile or so south or
Miramar one of the jets crashed during arrival maneuvers - the pilot
was performing a low-altitude slow roll close to the runway and
misjudged his position. The plane was destroyed in a fireball and
the pilot killed.

The show went on as scheduled the next day.

I was in my yard and there was a fly over of 4
Suspect it was the increased 9-11 security measures.

I was downtown near Petco Park last year for some reason about the time a baseball game was starting. A flight of Navy jets did a flyby over the stadium at barely legal height. That is especially effective if you don't know it is coming.

If you know anything about the layout of San Diego and its "downtown" airport, you will understand that such a flight would require shutting down all airport traffic for a few minutes while the Navy jets cross over the inbound flight path at more or less right angles.

BTW, I read somewhere that the reason the tall buildings in San Diego are the same height is because they are all rubbing up against the 500-foot limit imposed by the FAA for buildings close to an airport.
Old September 12th 16, 03:36 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 09/11/2016 07:40 PM, Richard Henry wrote:

I was downtown near Petco Park last year for some reason about the
time a baseball game was starting. A flight of Navy jets did a flyby
over the stadium at barely legal height. That is especially
effective if you don't know it is coming.

Envy. The first year the stealth bomber strafed the Rose Parade it flew
frighteningly low and made a wonderful noise. In subsequent years it
went over much higher. Can't make any guesses, but I'd guess the first
time was considerably less than 500 feet if 500 feet = 10 50-foot city lots.

Cheers, Bev
"Some people are alive only because it is illegal to kill them."
-- Lionel
Old October 20th 16, 01:50 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
JayPique

No way man I'm doing great.

JP
Old October 20th 16, 06:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 3:02:22 PM UTC-7, Richard Henry wrote:
And more bad news - the receiver says there is not enough money in the bank to stay open over the off-season.

The resort is faced with a "daily barrage of demands for payment" from hundreds of vendors - from soda distributors to Internet providers - who are owed money.

The 52-year-old gondola system must be repaired and the price tag for that expense is $4.1 million. Half of the payment would be due in the next four months

http://vtdigger.org/2016/04/26/goldb...nancials-dire/

Good news - sorta - the bank and feds have reached an agreement to pay off current operating debts so both Jay and Burke (and their associated attractions) will be able to operate this ski season.
Old October 24th 16, 09:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Thursday, October 20, 2016 at 11:25:14 AM UTC-7, Richard Henry wrote:
On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 3:02:22 PM UTC-7, Richard Henry wrote:
And more bad news - the receiver says there is not enough money in the bank to stay open over the off-season.

The resort is faced with a "daily barrage of demands for payment" from hundreds of vendors - from soda distributors to Internet providers - who are owed money.

The 52-year-old gondola system must be repaired and the price tag for that expense is $4.1 million. Half of the payment would be due in the next four months

http://vtdigger.org/2016/04/26/goldb...nancials-dire/

Good news - sorta - the bank and feds have reached an agreement to pay off current operating debts so both Jay and Burke (and their associated attractions) will be able to operate this ski season.

Well, the skiing is already good, but still not much revenue --

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2016/1...looks-all-time