Mill's Race TR

Old June 10th 09, 09:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
A mighty Hungarian warrior

Default Mill's Race TR

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 15:42:06 -0400, Walt
wrote this crap:

A mighty Hungarian warrior wrote:
A third place finish among a 170 fleet is nothing to sneeze about,
dumbass. I would have been happy with a 50th place finish, dumbass.

But you weren't in a 170 boat fleet. You were in the Jam D class with
eight other boats.

No need to tell me how good I performed, dumbass. I was there. There
WAS 170 boats entered into the race, and I took a third in my class.

That said, third out of nine is a very respectable showing. I'm off to
the North American Championships this weekend, and I'll be very very
happy if I finish in the top third of the fleet.

I wish you lots of luck. Be the best and tell others to be the best.

There are about 300 boats entered in the regatta, and my fleet has
around 50. You haven't lived until you've started on a 50 boat starting
line.

//Walt

Your fleet is fifty, and all fifty are starting at once? That's gotta
cause some confusion for the race committee.

And I've been on the committee boat many times.

Yo ho ho! It's a pirate's life for me!

And remember to vote for Palin-Ahnold in 2012.

A mighty Hungarian warrior
The blood of Attila runs through me
Old June 11th 09, 03:08 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

wrote this crap:

A mighty Hungarian warrior wrote:
A third place finish among a 170 fleet is nothing to sneeze about,
dumbass. I would have been happy with a 50th place finish, dumbass.

But you weren't in a 170 boat fleet. You were in the Jam D class with
eight other boats.

No need to tell me how good I performed, dumbass. I was there. There
WAS 170 boats entered into the race, and I took a third in my class.

Right.

Third.

Out of eight.

There are about 300 boats entered in the regatta, and my fleet has
around 50. You haven't lived until you've started on a 50 boat starting
line.

//Walt

Your fleet is fifty, and all fifty are starting at once? That's gotta
cause some confusion for the race committee.

You ought to try staring in a fleet of 70+!

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old June 11th 09, 10:02 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
A mighty Hungarian warrior

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 20:08:53 -0700, Alan Baker
wrote this crap:

No need to tell me how good I performed, dumbass. I was there. There
WAS 170 boats entered into the race, and I took a third in my class.

Third.

If you check the times, I finished second but the third place covered
the spread and finished as second place.

And you did?

Old June 11th 09, 01:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Walt wrote this crap:

There are about 300 boats entered in the regatta, and my fleet has
around 50. You haven't lived until you've started on a 50 boat starting
line.

Your fleet is fifty, and all fifty are starting at once?

Yep.

That's gotta cause some confusion for the race committee.

It's frickin pandemonium. It's an automatic black flag after the first
general recall. And there's always a general recall.

And if you screw the start you have 49 boats to windward of you blocking
your air. A second row seat is death on a stick.

//Walt
Old June 11th 09, 01:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
A mighty Hungarian warrior

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 09:38:35 -0400, Walt
wrote this crap:

Your fleet is fifty, and all fifty are starting at once?

Yep.

That's gotta cause some confusion for the race committee.

It's frickin pandemonium. It's an automatic black flag after the first
general recall. And there's always a general recall.

It sounds like your race committee doesn't do a proper starting
sequence.

Our race committee has a running rule that if only a few boats are
over early, call them back. But if there are many boats over early,
let them all go rather than having a general recall, so as not to
change the sequence for the next fleet of boats.

I've often wondered what would happen if NASCAR had starts like us.
Tell all the drivers something like, "At noon we wave a green flag for
the start, if you want to wait in the pits, drive around, or just sit
on the track, go for it. But when the cannon fires and the green flag
goes down you must be behind the line. If you're in front you dont
start until you go around."

That would make for some fun starts, wouldn't it?

Vote for Palin-Ahnold in 2012. Palin doesn't watch NASCAR.

Old June 11th 09, 03:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Walt wrote this crap:

Your fleet is fifty, and all fifty are starting at once?

Yep.

That's gotta cause some confusion for the race committee.

It's frickin pandemonium. It's an automatic black flag after the first
general recall. And there's always a general recall.

It sounds like your race committee doesn't do a proper starting
sequence.

Standard rule 26. It's just that with that many boats and everyone
being agressive it's usually impossible to tell who's over early. The
black flag gets people's attention though.

Our race committee has a running rule that if only a few boats are
over early, call them back. But if there are many boats over early,
let them all go rather than having a general recall, so as not to
change the sequence for the next fleet of boats.

It sounds like your RC is the one not doing a proper start sequence. If
boats are over early, put up the X flag and make them come back. If
everybody is over early, make them all come back and restart, but no
need to start a new sequence. The only time to put up a general is when
you can't tell who's over early and who's not. With only nine boats, it
should be easy to tell.

I've often wondered what would happen if NASCAR had starts like us.
Tell all the drivers something like, "At noon we wave a green flag for
the start, if you want to wait in the pits, drive around, or just sit
on the track, go for it. But when the cannon fires and the green flag
goes down you must be behind the line. If you're in front you dont
start until you go around."

Well, it would be more interesting than just watching them drive around
in circles. But not very much more....

That would make for some fun starts, wouldn't it?

It would still be NASCAR. What would be more fun is to issue each team
a paintbrush and a gallon of paint. Whoever's dries first wins.

//Walt
Old June 11th 09, 04:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

wrote this crap:

No need to tell me how good I performed, dumbass. I was there. There
WAS 170 boats entered into the race, and I took a third in my class.

Third.

If you check the times, I finished second but the third place covered
the spread and finished as second place.

And you did?

I raced in the 1998 Soling World Championships, thanks.

Unfortunately, it was a heavy air regatta and we were definitely a light
air crew. We finished 55th out of 77, IIRC.

Old June 11th 09, 06:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
A mighty Hungarian warrior

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 11:58:48 -0400, Walt
wrote this crap:

Our race committee has a running rule that if only a few boats are
over early, call them back. But if there are many boats over early,
let them all go rather than having a general recall, so as not to
change the sequence for the next fleet of boats.

It sounds like your RC is the one not doing a proper start sequence. If
boats are over early, put up the X flag and make them come back. If
everybody is over early, make them all come back and restart, but no
need to start a new sequence. The only time to put up a general is when
you can't tell who's over early and who's not. With only nine boats, it
should be easy to tell.

We usually put up the X when there are a few over early, but if there
are too many to tell, we let them all go, and only X the ones that are
blatantly over. There's really no point in holding up a race. When
you do a general recall, that group is moved to the back, so there is
no interruption of the main sequence. Although under the rules, the
RC can stop the sequence at any time, (but that only happens if there
is a massive wind shift, or the wind drops to zero.)

And vote for Palin-Ahhnold in 2012.

Old June 11th 09, 07:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

*Walt wrote this crap:

[...]

Take down the crash fence. Sell the front row seats at auction.

Old June 12th 09, 05:42 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

Richard Henry wrote:

On Jun 11, 8:58 am, Walt wrote:

Well, it would be more interesting than just watching them drive around
in circles. But not very much more....

That would make for some fun starts, wouldn't it?

It would still be NASCAR. What would be more fun is to issue each team
a paintbrush and a gallon of paint. Whoever's dries first wins.

Take down the crash fence. Sell the front row seats at auction.

Grease the track.

--
Cheers, Bev
Q: How many lawyers does it take to grease a combine?

One winter race SkiFit Nordic Skiing 4 August 30th 07 10:15 PM
Thanks To All Who CAme to Garnet RAce ADK Skier Nordic Skiing 0 March 31st 07 07:23 PM
torrent race Janne G Nordic Skiing 0 January 14th 06 07:51 PM
first race 32 degrees Nordic Skiing 1 November 19th 05 12:22 PM
First Race Nevalainen, Eric Nordic Skiing 11 January 7th 04 06:47 PM