Battteries, Beacons, and Headlamps

Old November 17th 05, 05:43 AM

Default Battteries, Beacons, and Headlamps

To All:

This is just a general question to see how people feel about
standardizing on their batteries, beacons and headlamps.

For years, I have stayed with AA's, for both my beacon (a 1st generation
Ortovox F1 - only one red LED) and my headlamp (last year I replaced an
old broken one with a Black Diamond Gemini - combo halogen and LED).

It seems that almost all of the new digital beacons are using AAA's and
all of the new LED headlamps are using AAA's too. Is the AAA becoming
the new standard?

Last summer, I picked up a 4 LED headlamp to throw in my pocket for
evening hikes. I definitely does not have the range of the halogen
bulb. With my old F1 I still use the grid method when practicing
searches and I have seen how people who are new to this practice are
faster with the new digitial beacons.

Is it time for a change?

Thanks,

Steve
Old November 28th 05, 02:13 AM

I think LED is a new standard because of small size/weight for light
produced. Like you note, it is as easier to carry spare lamps instead of
batteries. Anticipate more in the future as cell telephone battery
technology is adapted for full backcountry use combining GPS and GMR radio
with cell phone, camera, water purifier etc. Then all you will need is
solar or wind chargers...

Old November 28th 05, 06:32 AM

"Steve H" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for the re.

I would agree that LED's are becoming the new standard, but from what I
have seen of them, the do NOT have the range of a halogen which is
necessary when you are moving at skiing speed as opposed to hiking
speed. Also as newer LED's are getting more powerful, some are starting
to use AA batteries.

Steve