Boston area set tracks?

Old October 19th 03, 12:23 PM
yahugh

Default Boston area set tracks?

Hi Everyone,

Ski season is a' comin' and this family of transplanted Idaho nordic skiers
is wondering where in heck to spend our free time. We live just west of
Boston (Belmont) and are willing to drive an hour or so on the weekends to
get to some place that has good snow and a set track. Long trails for
cruising would be a bonus! Any suggestions?

Also, are there any nordic ski swaps coming up?

yahugh

Old October 19th 03, 10:26 PM
Rob Bradlee

Weston ski track (www.ski-paddle.com) has local manmade snow.
Great Brook Farm has some nice trail when there is fresh snow in
Carlisle (about 30 minutes max for you).
Windblown in New Ipswich NH has fun trails and good snow. About 1 hour
for you.
Prospect in S. VT has amazing snow. About 2 hrs for you.
Waterville Valley has great trails in scenic mtns. About 2 hrs.
Bretton Woods has lovely trails, easy terrain, about 2.5 hrs.

If you have children age 6 to 13 there is an Eastern Mass. BKL group
that meets on Thurs PM and Sat AM. They usually have an equipment day
in the early winter.

If you're interested email me and I'll send along the web page.

See csuski.org for adult and junior racing club.

Rob Bradlee
(chairman CSU)

--- yahugh wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Ski season is a' comin' and this family of transplanted Idaho nordic
skiers
is wondering where in heck to spend our free time. We live just west
of
Boston (Belmont) and are willing to drive an hour or so on the
weekends to
get to some place that has good snow and a set track. Long trails for
cruising would be a bonus! Any suggestions?

Also, are there any nordic ski swaps coming up?

yahugh

=====
Rob Bradlee
Java, C++, Perl, XML, OOAD, Linux, and Unix Training

Old October 20th 03, 09:02 PM
Matt Morency

"yahugh" wrote in message ...
Hi Everyone,

Ski season is a' comin' and this family of transplanted Idaho nordic skiers
is wondering where in heck to spend our free time. We live just west of
Boston (Belmont) and are willing to drive an hour or so on the weekends to
get to some place that has good snow and a set track. Long trails for
cruising would be a bonus! Any suggestions?

Also, are there any nordic ski swaps coming up?

yahugh

If you go to Great Brook, the best terrain is off the groomed trails
and therefore do not require a trail pass. My recommendation for you
would be Weston, which I have personally been to, during the week as
it is close to Belmont, and Windblown, which I have been to many time
and highly recommend, on the weekends. For weekend trips you have a
great variety of places in Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont.
--Matt
Old October 27th 03, 06:07 PM
Jonathan Scheuch

"yahugh" wrote in message ...
Hi Everyone,

Ski season is a' comin' and this family of transplanted Idaho nordic skiers
is wondering where in heck to spend our free time. We live just west of
Boston (Belmont) and are willing to drive an hour or so on the weekends to
get to some place that has good snow and a set track. Long trails for
cruising would be a bonus! Any suggestions?

Also, are there any nordic ski swaps coming up?

yahugh

Just two hours north of Boston and away from the White Mountain crowds
is Norsk Cross Country Ski Center in New London, NH. Norsk has over
70km of groomed trails, a warming hut, and ski shop. Since the center
is based out of Lake Sunapee Country Club, there is a restaurant and
bar in the club house. New London is at a locally-high elevation, so
it gets the most snow in the area. Check out their website at
www.skinorsk.com.

Jonathan Scheuch
New London, NH (I ski there all the time).
Old October 31st 03, 10:26 PM
Lew Lasher

The earlier replies (especially Rob's) pretty much summed up the best of the
skiing you can get to from Boston.

For completeness, I'd also add the Northfield Mountain cross-country ski area
in Northfield, Massachusetts. It's a little further than Windblown, roughly
1:30 to Northfield versus 1:15 to Windblown. Windblown gets more snow, and is,
well, more loveable, because it's a Mom-n-Pop kind of place. Northfield
Mountain, while more corporate, also has an excellent trail system (its trails
are wider, safer, and probably better for skating, but not as charming as
Windblown's more idiosyncratic trails), and is very well run.

Lew Lasher
Cambridge, Massachusetts and Stowe, Vermont

equipment trade-ins in new york metro area? Josh Salit General 2 March 1st 04 12:36 PM
Aspen area lift tickets Jeffrey C. Timmons North American Ski Resorts 1 February 24th 04 08:38 PM
Ski area signage Brian Rue General 7 January 21st 04 08:27 PM
Lake Tahoe area in April J.B. Memascii Snowboarding 3 January 15th 04 01:36 PM
New year in the Denver/Boulder area David Jones North American Ski Resorts 1 November 14th 03 05:33 AM