Adirondacks NY over Labor Day weekend

Old August 22nd 03, 04:10 AM
Mitch Collinsworth

Default Adirondacks NY over Labor Day weekend

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Ken Roberts wrote:

The obvious idea is to ski up in the evening, bring sneakers and a headlamp
in my backpack, then jog back down the road.

Alternative which seems attractive to me: Start real early in the morning,
ski up the toll road to the top. Then put on jacket and wind-pants -- and
wait for Sharon to drive up the toll road when they open it, and take me
back down in the car.

Fer crying out loud, do it in the morning! Would you really want
to ski up that mountain and not even get to see the view? :-)

-Mitch

Old August 22nd 03, 04:10 AM
Mitch Collinsworth

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Ken Roberts wrote:

Mitch Collinsworth wrote
There is a hugely steep road out towards Keene

Might that be the road that takes off from Rt 73, starting just south of Rt
9N and climbing East up to Glenmore and Big Crow Mt?

It's been so long since I was there last that I couldn't even tell
you without looking it up on a map. Which I just did, and I do
believe that's the one. My map doesn't give a name for it other
than "13", but I know it had a name when we were there.

-Mitch

Old August 22nd 03, 04:10 AM
Mitch Collinsworth

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Jay Tegeder wrote:

When you're in LP, check out the Black Bear restaurant. That's where
Dave Matthews and I ran into Ed Williams of 1960s U.S. Ski Team
Fame...

There's got to be a story accompanying this that needs telling...

-Mitch

Old August 22nd 03, 11:50 AM
Jay Tegeder

Here's the story; Holidays 2001

Dave Matthews and I had just finished skiing the trails at Mount Van
Hovenberg. We decided to go to the Black Bear for lunch. We were
sitting at a table and I was wearing my Lahti World Championships hat.
This guy at the next table (Ed Williams) asks me if I was at the
Worlds in Lahti. I told him I was there a few days before the Worlds
for the Finlandia Hiihto. He told Dave and I that his name was Ed
Williams and that he raced the Lahti Trails in the 1960s as a member
of the U.S. Ski Team. I asked him what it was like to race against
guys like Harold Groningen, Sixten Jernberg etc. Williams told me the
thing he remembered about Groningen was when they were sitting in the
Sauna together after a race, Groningen had a package bigger than
anything he had ever seen... Down to his knees according to Ed... Dave
and I both agreed that was more information than we needed to know...
Anyway, Williams is a lawyer in New York City now. He still goes to LP
to ski. He's at least 50lbs bigger than his skiing weight and he's got
a 6'6" son who plays basketball...

I've got other stories I'll have to tell some time...

Jay Tegeder
"I faders spar for framtids segrar"

Old August 22nd 03, 08:09 PM
Gary Jacobson

I know Ed Williams, as he was a neighbor. Now he lives in Brooklyn. Years
ago I was invited to his house as part of a fund raiser to support a
Rosendale Nordic Ski Club member, Bill Henry, in his quest for a spot on the
USA Para- Olympic Team. After a roller ski race in Prospect Park we had a
get together at the Williams apartment.
Ed Williams skied for the first USA Olympic Biathlon Team in the Squaw
Valley Olympics.
Williams Lake, and Rosendale used to be the center of biathlon in USA.
Indeed Ed's father, Walter started the USBA.
Every once in a while when Ed visits his country home here we find ourselves
in the Williams Lake sauna together, and we discuss the old days.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

om...

Old August 25th 03, 01:09 AM
Pete Hickey

In article ,
Ken Roberts wrote:

P.S. the bigger ambition would be to ride along the Hudson River, starting
from as far north as we could get (Tahawus?), south to Albany or NYC. The
might Amit has already _skated_ a sizable percentage of that in the last
year.

The only problem is that you only get a few glimpses or crossings
of the river untill around Glens Falls. Much of the time, the road is
quite far from the river. It's nice from there down to Troy....
Then down to NYC... Well, you gave me the routes when I rode
it last year.

LITTLE KNOWN FACT: Did you know that 85% of North Americans cannot
taste the difference between fried dog and fried cat?