Cost of a large Beer...

Old February 7th 05, 02:11 PM
PG

"John Elgy" wrote in message
| Olli Nilsson wrote:
|
| I always thought that Courcheval carried the reputation of the most
| expensive resort in Europe. It took a few visits to discover that
there
| was a huge range of prices in the resort. The most expensive I found
was
| the Altiport (If I remember the name of the name correctly).
|
| Mind you I am impressed with everyone drinking large beers, I doubt if
| my constitution would take that much gas. I have yet to find a bar in
| the Alps selling Mild.

The way it's going the cost of buying a beer in Italy could be about to
rocket.... see this article in the Scotsman....

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=4096635

Pete - SNOWeSCAPE
http://bsm.alpesprovence.net

Old February 7th 05, 07:39 PM
John Elgy

PG wrote:
"John Elgy" wrote in message
| Olli Nilsson wrote:
|
| I always thought that Courcheval carried the reputation of the most
| expensive resort in Europe. It took a few visits to discover that
there
| was a huge range of prices in the resort. The most expensive I found
was
| the Altiport (If I remember the name of the name correctly).
|
| Mind you I am impressed with everyone drinking large beers, I doubt if
| my constitution would take that much gas. I have yet to find a bar in
| the Alps selling Mild.

The way it's going the cost of buying a beer in Italy could be about to
rocket.... see this article in the Scotsman....

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=4096635

Pete - SNOWeSCAPE
http://bsm.alpesprovence.net

Intersesting, but what actually are these new laws on alcohol
consumption on ski slopes? It will be interesting to hear of the first
case of any one actually being caught, never mind convicted.

Out of interest, the only time I drunk too much skiing was one night on
a torch light descent from the Arpette restraurant in Les Arcs (my third
week skiing IIRC). Naturally, I fell over immediately and skied very
slowly and carefully back to the apartment, having immediately come to
my senses.

Does any one else have any experience of skiing while under the
influence (snow boarders reporting passive smoking before winning
olympic gold medals need not reply).

John
Old February 7th 05, 08:23 PM
Bill Seddon

John Elgy wrote:
PG wrote:

"John Elgy" wrote in message
| Olli Nilsson wrote:
|
| I always thought that Courcheval carried the reputation of the most
| expensive resort in Europe. It took a few visits to discover that there
| was a huge range of prices in the resort. The most expensive I found
was
| the Altiport (If I remember the name of the name correctly).
|
| Mind you I am impressed with everyone drinking large beers, I doubt if
| my constitution would take that much gas. I have yet to find a bar in
| the Alps selling Mild.

The way it's going the cost of buying a beer in Italy could be about
to rocket.... see this article in the Scotsman....

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=4096635

Pete - SNOWeSCAPE
http://bsm.alpesprovence.net

Intersesting, but what actually are these new laws on alcohol
consumption on ski slopes? It will be interesting to hear of the first
case of any one actually being caught, never mind convicted.

Out of interest, the only time I drunk too much skiing was one night on
a torch light descent from the Arpette restraurant in Les Arcs (my third
week skiing IIRC). Naturally, I fell over immediately and skied very
slowly and carefully back to the apartment, having immediately come to
my senses.

Does any one else have any experience of skiing while under the
influence (snow boarders reporting passive smoking before winning
olympic gold medals need not reply).

John

Torch light descent tale again. 1991 from the top of Tovierre in Tignes,
had drunk plenty wine in the restaurant, then filled a Grolsch bottle
with wine for on the way down. i knew those daft tops were there for a
reason :-)

Had bottle in one hand and torch in the other. We were due to ski down
to Val Claret, but the wind picked up, and we were diverted to Le Lac.
All the torches blew out, and many people had a nightmare getting down.
I really enjoyed it , possibly due to my state.

Had a few more beers in the Alpaka once we were all down, bloody
marvelous I thought. then I saw the few that had fallen on the way
down, they were in a pretty bad state, but had been picked up by the
snowmobiles that followed. It's not the easiest route down at the
bottom, and they had only been skiing a week. that and a few drinks =
a few bloody noses etc. Nothing major, but a little hairy none the
less. I'd love to do it again, but haven't seen it offered in my more
recent trips.

Bill
Old February 7th 05, 10:32 PM
John

"Bill Seddon" wrote in message
John Elgy wrote:
PG wrote:

"John Elgy" wrote in message
| Olli Nilsson wrote:
|
| I always thought that Courcheval carried the reputation of the most
| expensive resort in Europe. It took a few visits to discover that

there
| was a huge range of prices in the resort. The most expensive I found
was
| the Altiport (If I remember the name of the name correctly).
|
| Mind you I am impressed with everyone drinking large beers, I doubt

if
| my constitution would take that much gas. I have yet to find a bar in
| the Alps selling Mild.

The way it's going the cost of buying a beer in Italy could be about
to rocket.... see this article in the Scotsman....

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=4096635

Pete - SNOWeSCAPE
http://bsm.alpesprovence.net

Intersesting, but what actually are these new laws on alcohol
consumption on ski slopes? It will be interesting to hear of the first
case of any one actually being caught, never mind convicted.

Out of interest, the only time I drunk too much skiing was one night on
a torch light descent from the Arpette restraurant in Les Arcs (my third
week skiing IIRC). Naturally, I fell over immediately and skied very
slowly and carefully back to the apartment, having immediately come to
my senses.

Does any one else have any experience of skiing while under the
influence (snow boarders reporting passive smoking before winning
olympic gold medals need not reply).

John

Torch light descent tale again. 1991 from the top of Tovierre in Tignes,
had drunk plenty wine in the restaurant, then filled a Grolsch bottle
with wine for on the way down. i knew those daft tops were there for a
reason :-)

Had bottle in one hand and torch in the other. We were due to ski down
to Val Claret, but the wind picked up, and we were diverted to Le Lac.
All the torches blew out, and many people had a nightmare getting down.
I really enjoyed it , possibly due to my state.

Had a few more beers in the Alpaka once we were all down, bloody
marvelous I thought. then I saw the few that had fallen on the way
down, they were in a pretty bad state, but had been picked up by the
snowmobiles that followed. It's not the easiest route down at the
bottom, and they had only been skiing a week. that and a few drinks =
a few bloody noses etc. Nothing major, but a little hairy none the
less. I'd love to do it again, but haven't seen it offered in my more
recent trips.

Bill

Good going Bill, Full marks for effort!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old February 7th 05, 11:33 PM
Richard Crapp

A story I herd last week in Val D Isere.
When Mark Warner took over ownership of the Morris pub they set the beer
prices at what they thought was a good and reasonable margin.
Weeks of Trouble from local authority/police/employment followed
until they raised the price to same as other establishments. Hassle
vanished!
Mark Warner also now own Dicks T Bar where the 1/2 price happy hour is
3-6 and a large beer is 5 Euro after 6 if I remember correctly.
Prices do seem to have gone up but the all round quality of the resort
is still the best to me.

--
Richard Crapp
Old February 8th 05, 12:17 PM
Ollie Clark

John Elgy wrote:
PG wrote:
"John Elgy" wrote in message
| Olli Nilsson wrote:
|
| I always thought that Courcheval carried the reputation of the most
| expensive resort in Europe. It took a few visits to discover that
there
| was a huge range of prices in the resort. The most expensive I found
was
| the Altiport (If I remember the name of the name correctly).
|
| Mind you I am impressed with everyone drinking large beers, I doubt if
| my constitution would take that much gas. I have yet to find a bar in
| the Alps selling Mild.

The way it's going the cost of buying a beer in Italy could be about to
rocket.... see this article in the Scotsman....

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=4096635

Pete - SNOWeSCAPE
http://bsm.alpesprovence.net

Intersesting, but what actually are these new laws on alcohol
consumption on ski slopes? It will be interesting to hear of the first
case of any one actually being caught, never mind convicted.

Out of interest, the only time I drunk too much skiing was one night on
a torch light descent from the Arpette restraurant in Les Arcs (my third
week skiing IIRC). Naturally, I fell over immediately and skied very
slowly and carefully back to the apartment, having immediately come to
my senses.

Does any one else have any experience of skiing while under the
influence (snow boarders reporting passive smoking before winning
olympic gold medals need not reply).

Yep, funnily enough on a torchlit descent from Arpette in Les Arc. I
managed not to fall over on the descent but /many/ others did and the
ensuing mayhem was most entertaining! I certainly wouldn't make a habit of
it though, I didn't feel in proper control and it was lucky that it was
only a blue run down.

--
"Fighting terrorists with a military invasion is like trying to kill
a bee by shooting its beehive with a shotgun." - Anonymous, USENET
Old February 8th 05, 12:30 PM
PG

"Ollie Clark" wrote in message
| John Elgy wrote:
| PG wrote:
| "John Elgy" wrote in message
| | Olli Nilsson wrote:
| |
| | I always thought that Courcheval carried the reputation of the
most
| | expensive resort in Europe. It took a few visits to discover that
| there
| | was a huge range of prices in the resort. The most expensive I
found
| was
| | the Altiport (If I remember the name of the name correctly).
| |
| | Mind you I am impressed with everyone drinking large beers, I
doubt if
| | my constitution would take that much gas. I have yet to find a
bar in
| | the Alps selling Mild.
|
| The way it's going the cost of buying a beer in Italy could be
about to
| rocket.... see this article in the Scotsman....
|
| http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=4096635
|
| Pete - SNOWeSCAPE
| http://bsm.alpesprovence.net
|

| Intersesting, but what actually are these new laws on alcohol
| consumption on ski slopes? It will be interesting to hear of the
first
| case of any one actually being caught, never mind convicted.
|
| Out of interest, the only time I drunk too much skiing was one night
on
| a torch light descent from the Arpette restraurant in Les Arcs (my
third
| week skiing IIRC). Naturally, I fell over immediately and skied very
| slowly and carefully back to the apartment, having immediately come
| my senses.
|
| Does any one else have any experience of skiing while under the
| influence (snow boarders reporting passive smoking before winning
| olympic gold medals need not reply).
|
| Yep, funnily enough on a torchlit descent from Arpette in Les Arc.
| managed not to fall over on the descent but /many/ others did and the
| ensuing mayhem was most entertaining! I certainly wouldn't make a
habit of
| it though, I didn't feel in proper control and it was lucky that it
was
| only a blue run down.

Not so bad at that time of night

The problem is with those who drink during the day, some of whom ski
aggressively/out of control on crowded pistes as a result.

Pete
http://bsm.alpesprovence.net

Old February 8th 05, 04:17 PM
Ollie Clark

PG wrote:

"Ollie Clark" wrote in message
| Yep, funnily enough on a torchlit descent from Arpette in Les Arc.
| managed not to fall over on the descent but /many/ others did and the
| ensuing mayhem was most entertaining! I certainly wouldn't make a
habit of
| it though, I didn't feel in proper control and it was lucky that it
was
| only a blue run down.

Not so bad at that time of night

The problem is with those who drink during the day, some of whom ski
aggressively/out of control on crowded pistes as a result.

Yep, I once saw a group of Germans absolutely plastered in a mountain bar.
One of them was so drunk he couldn't stand up and had to be taken down on
a skido - the others just left him and went off down the nearest black
run. I'd have liked to see their descent as most of them were having
trouble standing up by the time they left. I don't envy the other people
on that slope though...

Old February 9th 05, 10:18 AM
mutley

"John Elgy" wrote in message
Mind you I am impressed with everyone drinking large beers, I doubt if
my constitution would take that much gas. I have yet to find a bar in
the Alps selling Mild.

There is a brewery allegedly run by Englishmen at 'Aigues Blanches' in
the Tarentaise, which brews a range of UK-style beers. Possibly mostly for
UK tour-operator run hotels but the distribution may be expanding.
A personal view of the Ambree is that the water used needs tweaking if the
beers are to resemble good UK brews more closely, but a good effort for
those who want to be reminded of UK!

For more info http://perso.wanadoo.fr/yves.bou/bra...tarentaise.htm

or http://www.frenchbeer.info/France/Brewery/Tarentai.html

mutley