Cost of a large Beer...

Old February 6th 05, 08:38 PM
Johannes

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 21:49:23 GMT, "Simon Watkins"
wrote:

Not quite the same as the old McDonalds Big Mac currency value indicator,
but a recent discussion with a mate just back from the 3V indicated that the
cost of a large Beer in France is somewhat more expensive than I was paying
on my recent trip to Austria...

eg, Jan 2005 Brides Le Bain/Courcheval - large beer 5 Euro
Jan 2005 Saalbach-Hinterglemm - large beer 3.5 Euro

Given that example, France is looking 30% more expensive on the beer front!

When i see the Prices here. I can't understand, why a lot of people
complain about the prices at switzerland. I check online some
pricelists from Davos.

Common Prices
30cl 4-5 Fr 2.60-3.25€
bottels 30cl 4.5-6.5 Fr 2.90-4.20€
bottels 33cl 6-6.5 Fr 3.90-4.20€
50cl 6 Fr 3.90€
bottels 50cl 7-8 Fr 4.50-5.15€

Johannes
Old February 6th 05, 09:26 PM
Mike Mather

"C.O.Jones" wrote in message
On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 08:25:37 -0000, "Rob White"
wrote:

The prize
had to go to the restaurant half way down La Dallie that wanted 5.5e for a
330ml tin of beer!!

and the Bar at the foot of the piste at Tignes Les Brevieres (Etoile
des neiges?) charging 8? for a vin chaude!

ernest

The same restaurant charged us ?27 for 4 large diet cokes, but my therapist
has asked me not to talk about it anymore.......

Old February 6th 05, 09:53 PM
Sammy

I think I must be your therapist's therapist. Have to agree, that was
*way* too much for 4 cokes. Fortunately she had a good health
insurance policy and she should be back out soon.

Sammy

Old February 7th 05, 04:47 AM
PG

"mutley" wrote in message
| "Rob White" wrote in message...
| Example - Val D/Isere at Christmas - 13e for sausage
| and chips, but Serre Chevalier last week 8e for steak and chips.
The
| prize
| had to go to the restaurant half way down La Dallie that wanted 5.5e
for a
| 330ml tin of beer!! I like 3v and Espace Killy but I'm not prepared
| pay
| those sort of prices any more.
|
| Recent examples from Les Arcs: 'Plats' euro 8.50 (pasta/saucisse +
side
| dish) to 13.50 (excellent steak hache + frites + salad), best in my
view
| L'Arpette (inner bit), best value 'Chez Mimi' at Vallandry
(friendliest
| too).
| Mind you this was mid-season, I don't know what happens at half-term.
| Lifts very prone to shutting without warning in high winds, I met at
least
| two parties who had been stung for taxis back to accommodation.
| mutley

You're right about the costs, if you know where to go (Arc 1950 being
one exception) prices are reasonable. However as someone who lives here,
and skis throughout the season, I have *never* been stranded in any part
of the resort by lifts closing.

Pete SNOWeSCAPE http://bsm.alpesprovence.net

Old February 7th 05, 06:44 AM
Ace

wrote:

eg, Jan 2005 Brides Le Bain/Courcheval - large beer 5 Euro
Jan 2005 Saalbach-Hinterglemm - large beer 3.5 Euro

Given that example, France is looking 30% more expensive on the beer front!

Well clearly you're comparing one of the most expensive French resorts
with a relatively unknown Austrian one, so comparisons will be moot,
but there are more important cultural differences at work. In France
no-one apart from the furriners drinks large beers (indeed, I know of
quite a few bars that don't even have helf-litre glasses). A 'normal'
beer is a 250ml (a 'demi') and is generally priced betwen 2 and 2.50
euros at bars throughout France. This is in line with other 'normal'
drinks, like a glass of house wine, a coffee, a pastis etc.

Austria, by contrast, is much more of a beer-swiling nation, so the
large beer is much more commonly drunk, leading to greater throughput
and a different attitude to its pricing (i.e. if someone has it
cheaper than you, you won't sell much).

Last season, I went to La Plagne, followed shortly after by another trip to
Hinterglemm, and felt my money went a LOT further in Austria than it did in
France.

Aye, I'm sure it would. Smaller French resorts will be cheaper, of
course, but Austria is still probably cheaper overall. Switzerland, by
contrast, is usually perceived as being expensive, but overall I don't
find it so. OK, so you can't eat out cheaply, but on a like-for-like
comparison the restaurants aren't actually more expensive - it's just
that cheap & nasty ones don't exist.

Any other examples of current beer prices? Might form a useful
comparator, almost as ubiquitous as the Big Mac!

For the reasons above, and others, I don't think a beer-comparitor is
really valid. But it's generally about 4-5 francs (err, 3 Eu or so)
for a 'Stange' (.3 l) and perhaps 8-9 for a large one. But TBH I just
buy the stuff, paying on exit, and very rarely look at the prices.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old February 7th 05, 06:54 AM
Marco Cattaneo

"AH" wrote in message
I have found the exact same thing..

France would be the most expensive country to ski in in Europe, with the
exception of possibly Switzerland.

Generally, you are probably right (my experience is that Switzerland is
cheaper). But I also think it really depends where you stop, competition
exists also on (some) ski slopes. This Saturday at Megeve:

- plain yoghurt at the restaurant at the top of Mont d'Arbois: 3.50 EUR (and
no toilets, supposedly because of water shortage)
- fruit juice at restaurant at mid-station of Princesse: 3.50 EUR
- plain yoghurt at the restaurant at the bottom of Mont d'Arbois (owned by
Rothschild familiy BTW): 1.00 EUR (and perfectly clean toilets..)
- fruit juice at same: 2:00 EUR

As you can see, my kids are not yet into large beers....

Old February 7th 05, 11:14 AM
Sarah Eggleston

John wrote:
Arinsal - Andorra 5 Euro average!

Soldeu was pretty similar for beer - we were there earlier this year.

However, this isn't an entirely fair reflection of local prices - and
should you want to get drunk cheaply it's not difficult[1]

For instance, the hotel charged us €6 for a half-bottle of house wine.

Bottles of sprits in the supermarkets were noticeably cheaper than in
the UK, I think around €8 - €20 depending on the type, including branded
versions - the unbranded ones were cheaper still.

-Sarah

[1] I'm sure no forum readers would do anything silly
Old February 7th 05, 01:01 PM
Charlie

wrote:

Not quite the same as the old McDonalds Big Mac currency value indicator,
but a recent discussion with a mate just back from the 3V indicated that the
cost of a large Beer in France is somewhat more expensive than I was paying
on my recent trip to Austria...

eg, Jan 2005 Brides Le Bain/Courcheval - large beer 5 Euro
Jan 2005 Saalbach-Hinterglemm - large beer 3.5 Euro

Given that example, France is looking 30% more expensive on the beer front!

Last season, I went to La Plagne, followed shortly after by another trip to
Hinterglemm, and felt my money went a LOT further in Austria than it did in
France. Any other examples of current beer prices? Might form a useful
comparator, almost as ubiquitous as the Big Mac!

Simon

We've just come back from the 3V (Les Menuires) and the hotel we had
half board at were charging 6 euros for a large beer, and at least 17
for a bottle of plonk. Smaller bars ranged from 4.50 to 5 euros
minimum. The supermarket of course sold 6 bottles for 3 euros, so we
stocked up!

Apart from that, a ruddy marvellous holiday - some of the best
conditions I've seen, and a massive thumbs up to the refurbished Hotel
Skilt.

Old February 7th 05, 01:05 PM
John Elgy

Olli Nilsson wrote:
Resort: Meribel (Les Trois Vallees)
Joint: The Pub
Time: March 2004
Product: a Pint of french lager (Kronenbourg)
Price: 7 Euros

Before the Euro-era the L3V was expensive but now it might be one of the
most expensive resorts in Europe. After they changed currency to Euros the
prices in L3V have gone upp at least 40%. Disgusting!

Mayrhofen beer prices reported in two weeks.

0bz

I always thought that Courcheval carried the reputation of the most
expensive resort in Europe. It took a few visits to discover that there
was a huge range of prices in the resort. The most expensive I found was
the Altiport (If I remember the name of the name correctly).

Mind you I am impressed with everyone drinking large beers, I doubt if
my constitution would take that much gas. I have yet to find a bar in
the Alps selling Mild.