Cost of a large Beer...

Old February 5th 05, 08:49 PM
Simon Watkins

Default Cost of a large Beer...

Not quite the same as the old McDonalds Big Mac currency value indicator,
but a recent discussion with a mate just back from the 3V indicated that the
cost of a large Beer in France is somewhat more expensive than I was paying
on my recent trip to Austria...

eg, Jan 2005 Brides Le Bain/Courcheval - large beer 5 Euro
Jan 2005 Saalbach-Hinterglemm - large beer 3.5 Euro

Given that example, France is looking 30% more expensive on the beer front!

Last season, I went to La Plagne, followed shortly after by another trip to
Hinterglemm, and felt my money went a LOT further in Austria than it did in
France. Any other examples of current beer prices? Might form a useful
comparator, almost as ubiquitous as the Big Mac!

Simon

Old February 5th 05, 10:16 PM
Brains

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 21:49:23 GMT, "Simon Watkins"
wrote:

Not quite the same as the old McDonalds Big Mac currency value indicator,
but a recent discussion with a mate just back from the 3V indicated that the
cost of a large Beer in France is somewhat more expensive than I was paying
on my recent trip to Austria...

eg, Jan 2005 Brides Le Bain/Courcheval - large beer 5 Euro
Jan 2005 Saalbach-Hinterglemm - large beer 3.5 Euro

Well that's France for you, the foods better and cheaper on trhe
German side of the 3Vs at Les Menuires.

Old February 5th 05, 11:16 PM
John Owens

Much more important than a big Mac.
I don't partake myself but I guess that few individuals have more than one
big Mac a night, whereas beer....

--
John Owens
www.goodviews.co.uk

Old February 6th 05, 09:56 AM
C.O.Jones

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 08:25:37 -0000, "Rob White"
wrote:

The prize
had to go to the restaurant half way down La Dallie that wanted 5.5e for a
330ml tin of beer!!

and the Bar at the foot of the piste at Tignes Les Brevieres (Etoile
des neiges?) charging 8€ for a vin chaude!

ernest
Old February 6th 05, 10:16 AM
cupra

Simon Watkins wrote:
Not quite the same as the old McDonalds Big Mac currency value
indicator, but a recent discussion with a mate just back from the 3V
indicated that the cost of a large Beer in France is somewhat more
expensive than I was paying on my recent trip to Austria...

eg, Jan 2005 Brides Le Bain/Courcheval - large beer 5 Euro
Jan 2005 Saalbach-Hinterglemm - large beer 3.5 Euro

Given that example, France is looking 30% more expensive on the beer
front!

Last season, I went to La Plagne, followed shortly after by another
trip to Hinterglemm, and felt my money went a LOT further in Austria
than it did in France. Any other examples of current beer prices?
Might form a useful comparator, almost as ubiquitous as the Big Mac!

Simon

Lech 2003 - 8 Euros for a bottle of WiessBier!

Old February 6th 05, 12:50 PM
John Owens

"AH" wrote in message
I have found the exact same thing..

France would be the most expensive country to ski in in Europe,

Last year the French Pyrenees seemed OK.
I will force mysef to buy a large beer next week and add to the research !

--
John Owens
www.goodviews.co.uk

Old February 6th 05, 04:05 PM
mutley

"Rob White" wrote in message...
Example - Val D/Isere at Christmas - 13e for sausage
and chips, but Serre Chevalier last week 8e for steak and chips. The

prize
had to go to the restaurant half way down La Dallie that wanted 5.5e for a
330ml tin of beer!! I like 3v and Espace Killy but I'm not prepared to

pay
those sort of prices any more.

Recent examples from Les Arcs: 'Plats' euro 8.50 (pasta/saucisse + side
dish) to 13.50 (excellent steak hache + frites + salad), best in my view
L'Arpette (inner bit), best value 'Chez Mimi' at Vallandry (friendliest
too).
Mind you this was mid-season, I don't know what happens at half-term.
Lifts very prone to shutting without warning in high winds, I met at least
two parties who had been stung for taxis back to accommodation.
mutley

Old February 6th 05, 04:38 PM
Olli Nilsson

Resort: Meribel (Les Trois Vallees)
Joint: The Pub
Time: March 2004
Product: a Pint of french lager (Kronenbourg)
Price: 7 Euros

Before the Euro-era the L3V was expensive but now it might be one of the
most expensive resorts in Europe. After they changed currency to Euros the
prices in L3V have gone upp at least 40%. Disgusting!

Mayrhofen beer prices reported in two weeks.

0bz

Old February 6th 05, 05:00 PM
Bill Seddon

Olli Nilsson wrote:
Resort: Meribel (Les Trois Vallees)
Joint: The Pub
Time: March 2004
Product: a Pint of french lager (Kronenbourg)
Price: 7 Euros

Before the Euro-era the L3V was expensive but now it might be one of the
most expensive resorts in Europe. After they changed currency to Euros the
prices in L3V have gone upp at least 40%. Disgusting!

Mayrhofen beer prices reported in two weeks.

0bz

A pint in La Tania at the ski Lodge, 5 euro normally and 4 in happy
hour. According to the web site, www.latania.co.uk/resort/costs.htm.
Still not mega cheap, but just about stump up able.

Bill

Old February 6th 05, 06:35 PM
Tony and Jan Henley

Two years ago in Courchevel we were stung 20 Euros for 2 beers at the
Chalet des Pierres (side of the Verdons piste just above Croisette.

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 19:38:37 +0200, "Olli Nilsson"
wrote:

Resort: Meribel (Les Trois Vallees)
Joint: The Pub
Time: March 2004
Product: a Pint of french lager (Kronenbourg)
Price: 7 Euros

Before the Euro-era the L3V was expensive but now it might be one of the
most expensive resorts in Europe. After they changed currency to Euros the
prices in L3V have gone upp at least 40%. Disgusting!

Mayrhofen beer prices reported in two weeks.

0bz

Tony Henley
Pembroke, South Wales